Marketing at UNL?

I know that we have partnerships with marketing firms regarding advertisements in the stadium etc but what do we do in terms of PR and other marketing? I have noticed that other schools on their websites list the coaches and also list their twitter handle to follow them on twitter. I know we fight an uphill battle with recruits and the like in terms of exposure in more talent rich parts of the country. I hear quotes from them that they are hearing from Nebraska but don't know much about them and the like. I mean this is not the mid 90's anymore. Most of these kids were in diapers when we were dominating. What are the rules for a university to put together a PR campaign to really get our brand out there and get noticed? Advertisements, social media, what ever to really bring about some solid brand awareness for our athletics programs. Would there be an opportunity to really break the mold and become cutting edge in this department? I know Bo is not much of a twitter person and is not so much in terms of social media either but could we use the additional staff in the department to do some of this stuff? Could we partner with a PR firm or Marketing firm to really push our brand? Would it be worth it to do some of the stuff Oregon and Ok St do to really get our name out there to recruits? I just feel that the 500 mile radius is important to concentrate on but even in that I don't think we can get back to winning titles and keeping up with the SEC and the Ohio St's of the world. We really need to be smarter and better on all levels.

What do you think Husker Nation?

What can we do to regain an edge and get back to winning like we all want to?

Recruit, recruit, recruit!

GBR!!!

Winning helps but we got to get the talent to win. How do we go about getting the stud players in the trenches to chose us to get where we are winning and it is not as much of an issue? We have to turn the tide somehow and create some buzz. It is a which came first the chicken or the egg question.

http://huskernsider.tumblr.com/post/49807662568/nu-media-relations-staff-super-11-worthy

Congratulations to Nebraska’s Media Relations Team, led by Assistant Athletic Director Keith Mann. That hard-working group was more than worthy of another “Super 11” designation from the Football Writers Association of America(FWAA), headquartered in Dallas. Tim Griffin, the FWAA’s 2010 president and chairman of the Super 11 selection committee, says the award represents “the best of the best” sports information departments that support football. Griffin pointed out that Nebraska is the only school that has won a Super 11 honor from two different conferences and told me that is considered no small feat by the selection committee, which admires the NU Media Relations Team’s ability to adapt and adjust to dramatic change. If asked to choose 11 words to describe what fuels ‘Super 11’ status, the first seven would be culture, content, contacts, conduct, criteria, conferences and coaches. The last four would be media access and player accommodation, before and after practices and pregame/postgame. Nobody does it better than Nebraska, which has a long, proud, half-century history of meeting media demands.

http://huskernsider....super-11-worthy

Congratulations to Nebraska’s Media Relations Team, led by Assistant Athletic Director Keith Mann. That hard-working group was more than worthy of another “Super 11” designation from the Football Writers Association of America(FWAA), headquartered in Dallas. Tim Griffin, the FWAA’s 2010 president and chairman of the Super 11 selection committee, says the award represents “the best of the best” sports information departments that support football. Griffin pointed out that Nebraska is the only school that has won a Super 11 honor from two different conferences and told me that is considered no small feat by the selection committee, which admires the NU Media Relations Team’s ability to adapt and adjust to dramatic change. If asked to choose 11 words to describe what fuels ‘Super 11’ status, the first seven would be culture, content, contacts, conduct, criteria, conferences and coaches. The last four would be media access and player accommodation, before and after practices and pregame/postgame. Nobody does it better than Nebraska, which has a long, proud, half-century history of meeting media demands.

Well that is good, I had not heard of that. What else can we do? It is good to be recognized by the media but how can we translate that to recognition by potential recruits and ultimately getting those recruits on campus to win us titles in Lincoln?

That's media relations. The team that provides stats and research items to the press. They are the ones that get the coffee set up, and configure the press boxes, etc. Not a PR team.

That's media relations. The team that provides stats and research items to the press. They are the ones that get the coffee set up, and configure the press boxes, etc. Not a PR team.

Media relations is a lot broader than the definition you painted; a lot of athletic departments don't even have separate media/public relations teams, and the terms are often used interchangeably.

Media relations is a lot broader than the definition you painted; a lot of athletic departments don't even have separate media/public relations teams, and the terms are often used interchangeably.

Is it in the case of Husker athletics?

Winning helps but we got to get the talent to win. How do we go about getting the stud players in the trenches to chose us to get where we are winning and it is not as much of an issue? We have to turn the tide somehow and create some buzz. It is a which came first the chicken or the egg question.

We don't need better PR. You start by not letting guys like Harland Gund (2007 - now plays for the Falcons), or Trevor Robinson (2008 - Bengals), or Shaun Prater (2008 - Bengels), or Jon Lechner (2009 - beast @ Ohio) get out of state. Robinson is the only one of these we recruited hard.

...and you maybe take some risks on James Davis (2009), or Bryce Dietz (2010 - who's having a solid start to his career at Ohio), or Cole Fisher. You definitely grab a state champion wrestler Mike Shoff (2012), and possibly a small town kid with a good frame in Drew Ott (2013).

Instead we move in and gave the Nebraska scholly's to Sutton when we were looking desperate at TE (which may turn out ok), or to Marsh knowing he'd likely never play QB here, or Tyler Evans who was a speedster but a stretch behind the talent we have at WR.

Historically this state does not produce a lot of talent at the skill positions. I'm sure someone will list off a bunch - but you can probably list of 4 times as many linemen. However, some of the most dominant guys in the trenches have been Nebraska born. It starts there. We had how many walk-ons starting on the OL last couple of years? And those are just the ones that we didn't let get away. If we'd given out some scholarships to some local kids the lines might look a lot different. There's big, smart kids with a ton of drive in the state. They don't all have to be expected to walk-on. I think we need to re concentrate our efforts to fill the pipeline there.

Is it in the case of Husker athletics?

That's what I'm saying - I don't think we have a true "pr" team. We have someone that puts out press releases and everything - but I don't think our "media relations" group is formulating our branding/image/etc. We have outside consultants for that.

There are people in house that monitor and promote and brand and design and advertise and etc. - it's hard to know where one department ends and another starts, because it runs like a pretty damn well oiled machine and there's not much being done at any other schools in the country that we aren't also doing.

We don't need better PR. You start by not letting guys like Harland Gund (2007 - now plays for the Falcons), or Trevor Robinson (2008 - Bengals), or Shaun Prater (2008 - Bengels), or Jon Lechner (2009 - beast @ Ohio) get out of state. Robinson is the only one of these we recruited hard.

...and you maybe take some risks on James Davis (2009), or Bryce Dietz (2010 - who's having a solid start to his career at Ohio), or Cole Fisher. You definitely grab a state champion wrestler Mike Shoff (2012), and possibly a small town kid with a good frame in Drew Ott (2013).

Instead we move in and gave the Nebraska scholly's to Sutton when we were looking desperate at TE (which may turn out ok), or to Marsh knowing he'd likely never play QB here, or Tyler Evans who was a speedster but a stretch behind the talent we have at WR.

Historically this state does not produce a lot of talent at the skill positions. I'm sure someone will list off a bunch - but you can probably list of 4 times as many linemen. However, some of the most dominant guys in the trenches have been Nebraska born. It starts there. We had how many walk-ons starting on the OL last couple of years? And those are just the ones that we didn't let get away. If we'd given out some scholarships to some local kids the lines might look a lot different. There's big, smart kids with a ton of drive in the state. They don't all have to be expected to walk-on. I think we need to re concentrate our efforts to fill the pipeline there.

A start yes but I don't think we get to winning conference and national titles on that alone. Am I in favor of getting as much local talent on the roster as possible, sure. Within the state, 500 mile radius you bet. Don't care where they come from they just need to get here and compete. I do like the idea of the local/walk on mentality in terms of work ethic etc but we need the horses.

In terms of PR/marketing I was getting at could/should we run campaigns in areas known for producing elite talent in TX, FL and CA to put our brand in the minds of hs coaches and players to consider us more?