Bands that should not have been as big as they are or were

Rush is awesome. One of the greatest three-man bands ever. They had a couple of crappy albums when they went through their synth-rock phase, but their body of work is phenomenal.

With AC/DC it's the singing style of Bon Scott and Brian Johnson. I cannot stand that screeching. The music itself is fine, but the screeching is much too much.

EDIT - 20 minutes after writing "Rush is awesome" Red Barchetta pops up on the ol' MP3 player. Kismet!

Rush is awesome. One of the greatest three-man bands ever. They had a couple of crappy albums when they went through their synth-rock phase, but their body of work is phenomenal.

I heart Rush. Neil is arguably one of my favorite drummers, and the fact that he writes (almost) all their lyrics is awesome. I just watched "Beyond the Lighted Stage" last weekend, and it was pretty cool. With both my sons, when they were crying a bunch as babies (normally in the car) I'd play something like 2112, and they'd immediately stop. It's awesome. Got to see them in concert in November (I had to listen to the end of the MSU game on the radio driving to the theatre.

If you don't like this, you're broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmd6T1tmZ8

Interesting, I started the bands that should have been bigger topic because I didn't understand why some groups that seem to be tight and have good tunes never become real popular. All this thread seems to be about is bands people hate. I hate to say it, but music does seem to be a generational thing to some extent.

Ozzy loves the Beatles and they influenced him a lot. If you don't think the Beatles influenced other groups just like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and Little Richard influenced them than you don't get it I guess.

I personally like the Doors, though they have always been polarizing. Jim Morrison was one of the first true rock stars IMO. I don't think I have met anyone under 35 that really likes the Doors. Love Pink Floyd. Love Led Zep, Black Sabbeth, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Rush, etc. The Who is one of my all time favs. Like to a lesser extent Nervana. But I also love U2 which goes off in another direction.

It really is about personal likes I wouldn't walk across the street to hear any of the Heavy Metal bands that have the Gutteral singing in them, I'm sure they are those on here that love Pantera, Slayer et. al.

Not a big Springstein fan or Bob Seager fan, but the town I grew up in Seager is a minor diety. I do understand there influence on music. Not a huge Stones fan, like a few tunes, never understood the allure of "Satisfaction" as the greatest rock song ever.

To me good music is music that you will pull our and listen to 20 years from now and still enjoy it. Not like 90% of the pop crap that is played on top 40 today. I tell my daughter that all the time. Not saying that top 40 is bad in itself, it is just that most of it is bad and will go away after it has its 15 minutes.

• Fire 1

Yeah. This took a different route than I expected. It wasn't meant to be a "what band do I hate" thread. It was supposed to be more about how a band got as big as they are for not really doing much to get there.

I think there are some names that are viable in here but for the most part everyone is listing groups or singers they hate. Its cool though. Something fun to talk about until football season starts again

With AC/DC it's the singing style of Bon Scott and Brian Johnson. I cannot stand that screeching. The music itself is fine, but the screeching is much too much.

EDIT - 20 minutes after writing "Rush is awesome" Red Barchetta pops up on the ol' MP3 player. Kismet!

Agree about Rush no matter how many in the band but the fact that it is only three does make them almost unbelievable. Limelight easily in my top 3 all time songs.

The gutteral screeching of Bon Scott and Brian Johnson is actually a big reason why I do like them. Must draw on some base primitive instinct or something but you can tell it's coming from some place deeper than just their physical capabilities. I liken their singing to Stevie Ray Vaughns guitar playing. They don't just play/sing notes, they feel it and make you feel it.

Just to expand on what a lot of people are saying about Nirvana, I have to say that I don't understand why "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is considered such a great song. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible, but it's just a normal punk rock (or whatever genre Nirvana is) song. It's not the seminal rock song of our age and it's definitely not one of the greatest songs ever, like a lot of people list it.

• Fire 2

Agree about Rush no matter how many in the band but the fact that it is only three does make them almost unbelievable. Limelight easily in my top 3 all time songs.

The gutteral screeching of Bon Scott and Brian Johnson is actually a big reason why I do like them. Must draw on some base primitive instinct or something but you can tell it's coming from some place deeper than just their physical capabilities. I liken their singing to Stevie Ray Vaughns guitar playing. They don't just play/sing notes, they feel it and make you feel it.

I wouldn't consider Bon Scott or Brian Johnson's singing gutteral. Screeching maybe, but not gutteral. Gutteral is much lower and IMO you can't even come close to understanding what they are singing. Think Slayer/ Slipknot/ Pantera and they arn't even the worst.

I like Rush and always have, but as I have gotten older I really enjoy them even more. Limelight is good, but never been one of my favorites. I like some of there synth stuff as you put it. Subdivisions is one of my favorite Rush songs. I like their instrumental stuff. 2112 etc. The documentary that was done about them was very good. They guy that did it also did a doc about heavy metal and its origins and genres. The guy is a big head banger with a PhD in anthropology, can't remember his name.

Just to expand on what a lot of people are saying about Nirvana, I have to say that I don't understand why "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is considered such a great song. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible, but it's just a normal punk rock (or whatever genre Nirvana is) song. It's not the seminal rock song of our age and it's definitely not one of the greatest songs ever, like a lot of people list it.

Teen Spriit is good, but I like Lithium, Heart Shaped Box and Come as You Are better. The reason why Nirvana is and Teen Spirit is considered so great is because it really broke the Hair Band hold on harder rock. Though I think that era was about ready to implode anyway. Grunge misic is almost gothic in ways it that it is somewhat about life sucking. Hair Metal is about partying and getting laid. I think it is considered a deeper meaning music.