Projected Starting Line Up

Not sold on Imani Cross?

Nope.

Rather see him put the size back on and focus on being a good powerback, maybe getting a little work at FB and H-back too. Sacrificing size to be an every down back won't work IMO. He's a litte quicker now but still looks very average running outside. Frazier is as good an every-down back. Taylor and Newby will be better.

They haven't used Cross correctly since he has been here, why start now. GBR!!!

I really sold on Adam Taylor. Best running back Bo has signed. Hopefully Newby is a better version, more hard-working Aaron Green.

Cross should gain the weight back and work at either H or Fullback.

Cross score 6 TDs last year. Don't think we could have used him much better.

How would you use him, coach?

Yeah coach, how would you use him? :dunno I love how so many guys want to take a big back and turn him into a FB or H-back as they say, just because he is big. I think you will see cross a lot this year. I am hoping he gets 5-8 carries a game. I don't think on a given day they will go more than 3 deep at RB. Unless Taylor is that good, he is not going to jump Cross. He may be really good I hope he is, but we will see.

Pensick will be starting at center. I am not even sure that Reeves is even playing center anymore. I think he is working at guard exclusively. He has been a little bit of a dissapointment so far. The way they talked him up I expected to see him in action a little more. Sterup is going to be good I think. Rodrequez is going to play a lot also.

Defensively it is anyones guess. Lots of peices to the puzzle. I would throw Trevor Roach in at LB also. I also think Nickens will play some. I wish they would have moved him mid season last year. They could have used that big body on the d-line.

I will bet anyone a beer that Adam Taylor jumps Cross by Mid-Season and is the second option in the backfield.
Is there any chance that Adam redshirts or are we just too thin at RB?

We're not thin at RB, he's just supposed to be that good.

How would you use him, coach?

Yeah coach, how would you use him? :dunno I love how so many guys want to take a big back and turn him into a FB or H-back as they say, just because he is big. I think you will see cross a lot this year. I am hoping he gets 5-8 carries a game. I don't think on a given day they will go more than 3 deep at RB. Unless Taylor is that good, he is not going to jump Cross. He may be really good I hope he is, but we will see.

Cross averaged 4 carries per game last year and averaged 6 carries in games where he got at least one so 5 wouldn't be much different.

I think Taylor really is that good.

I will bet anyone a beer that Adam Taylor jumps Cross by Mid-Season and is the second option in the backfield.
Is there any chance that Adam redshirts or are we just too thin at RB?

We're not thin at RB, he's just supposed to be that good.

Ok thanks. I have heard great things about him just wasn't sure if they planned to RS him or let him play right away.

Does Martinez turn the ball over less especially in big games? In year 4 can he finally have the consistent season only 3 prior years of experience can give?

Who emerges from the LB spot and with all of the potential there could this turn out to be an actual strong spot for this maligned defense? Could we even possibly see a playmaker emerge out of this group?

Does this young DL remain as porous as last years unit or do they actually improve?

Does this years defense actually surprise people despite all of the newcomers or do they look as lost as they did at times last season?

Does Jamal Turner bust out this year or be underutilized as I thought he may have been last year? Does any backup QB see any time this year whether it be in a big game or in a game NU has a handly lead in?

So many questions...

I think these are all legitimate questions sans the two bolded. I thought Martinez already had a very consistent year last year. He made mistakes like anybody else, but he played very well. Martinez is one of the three best players on offense.

And for the second question, I see this argument brought up a lot, and it's somewhat silly. Look at other programs around the country and you'll see exactly what you see here - the backup QB plays in mop up duty or after an injury. That's it. Quarterback is the most important individual position on an offense and you can't rotate it like you do other positions. I have absolutely no problem with our backup sitting an entire game, especially when we have Martinez.

Agreed to all of the above. First and foremost, Suh_fan, I apologize as I've had a few to drink tonight. Shouldn't have been that jumpy. I will counter the QB question with another one though:

When was it that we had the luxury of getting other QBs reps? Last year, it would have been STUPID to burn Armstrong's shirt. Absolutely stupid. We would have gone full retard to do that and you never go full retard.

This year, if we beat UCLA we should be able to line up and win every other game between that one and Michigan on the fact we will just be flat out better than everyone else. I hope to see us develop a ton of depth in between those two games at every spot on both sides of the ball.

Again SUH_Fan, apologize for the short fuse of mine with the other post.

No worries EZ. Your thread got my mind thinking and since I couldn't really do an actual projected lineup which you did a heckuva job with I simply started thinking about the what if's of this season. So many things could play out in terms of players stepping up (Ankrah just as an example) and if Taylor could get those turnovers down and this defense surprised some people... Oh man. I can't wait to see if anyone emerges at linebacker given their potential.

Wish I had a few drinks last night too btw! lol

Zaire will rise to the occasion. Taking it to the BANK!!!

Great...here is what I see brewing. This happens so often when we get a really good skill position player.

If Taylor doesn't redshirt, he will get a few carries here and there. The fans will go ballistic claiming Bo and Beck have no clue what they are doing and completely mismanaging the roster because they demand to see Taylor on the field.

Meanwhile, our offense is running very well and we are winning games with the RB position producing very well.

Fans ignore that and are pissed that Bo has no clue how to manage young players on the roster.

Next off season, Taylor has to answer questions from the media about rumors of him transferring. In reality, he is perfectly happy here and fully understands and accepts what his roll was and is on the team.

These young kids need to get their feet wet. It is the same on both sides of the ball. Tell me you would not feel better about our defense this year if some of those that red shirted had played last year.

I again would argue the quarterback position is different than any other, with facets that make rotating and getting "their feet wet" implausible unless necessary. The best quarterback on our team is Martinez by far and away given his knowledge, experience and athleticism. What point does it serve to risk a scoring opportunity and pull Martinez in favor of a less experienced quarterback - a quarterback that has different timing, knowledge and understanding of the game? I see almost no benefit.

And as EZ-E pointed out, burning Armstrong's redshirt last year in favor of a couple of plays a game is unfathomably stupid and risky.

We are handling our QB situation like we almost always have and like almost every other college does. Your backup QB plays when you're winning big, losing big, your starter is playing poorly or gets injured. The only other prerequisite is if the backup has earned playing time (like Berringer did after starting for nearly a full season). Otherwise, your starting QB plays all the snaps because he gives you the best chance to win, and I have no problem treating the QB that way because he's the most important individual player on the team.

There's certainly benefit to playing younger players at other positions if it's worth it. But, again, I insistently believe the QB is a different beast and is not subject to the same type of playing time rules like other positions are.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I wanted to chime in. I'm a huge Martinez supporter, but there were times where we had the game in hand last season, or we were out of a game where we should have given Kellogg more snaps. Just my opinion.

Great...here is what I see brewing. This happens so often when we get a really good skill position player.

If Taylor doesn't redshirt, he will get a few carries here and there. The fans will go ballistic claiming Bo and Beck have no clue what they are doing and completely mismanaging the roster because they demand to see Taylor on the field.

Meanwhile, our offense is running very well and we are winning games with the RB position producing very well.

Fans ignore that and are pissed that Bo has no clue how to manage young players on the roster.

Next off season, Taylor has to answer questions from the media about rumors of him transferring. In reality, he is perfectly happy here and fully understands and accepts what his roll was and is on the team.

Then he transfers.