Husker Camp Countdown: NU’s top 50 players heading into 2013

Husker Camp Countdown: Honorable Mentions

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED THURSDAY, JUNE 13, 2013 AT 1:15 AM / UPDATED AT 1:15 AM

The ballers. The bruisers. The big-play starters. From now until fall camp, The World-Herald will count down the Husker Watch List — NU’s top 50 players heading into the 2013 season. The top stars are here, as are a few surprises. The list is sorted by the players’ impact on the team, the importance of their position and their potential to improve — or in the case of new players, contribute. The list is long, but remember: Each year, a player or two off the radar make an unexpected leap into the lineup. At the end of the season, we’ll revisit the list and see where we were right — and which players surpassed our expectations. The list starts today with the honorable mentions:

»  Broderick Nickens: The senior walk-on from Alliance switched from offense to defense to help the Huskers bolster their line. Coaches hopes he can duplicate Justin Jackson’s success from 2012, when Jackson moved from defense to center.

»  Mark Pelini: The backup center and nephew of head coach Bo Pelini may give way to Cole Pensick as a starter, but he’ll be a handy backup.

»  Courtney Love: The true freshman enrolled early and impressed teammates with beyond-his-years strength. He’ll play on special teams and battle for time at linebacker.

LINK

Sam is going to list 50 Huskers over the next few weeks. With notes on each. This article has the first ten. Good stuff!

Am I missing something or is it going to be pretty difficult to see how Stanton "fits in during preseason camp."

I think his question pertains to how his leadership qualities translate to camp knowing he's probably gonna red shirt

Even then, I can't imagine he'll be doing a lot more than watching, or is he nearly recovered?

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 50 Vincent Valentine

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED FRIDAY, JUNE 14, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 6:45 PM

Vincent Valentine | 6-foot-3 | 325 pounds | Freshman | Defensive tackle

After a redshirt year to acclimate to college life, NU’s biggest defensive tackle will vie for time on a line that needs him to deliver up to his considerable potential.

While reports out of spring camp were decent, Valentine is not considered a likely starter right now. To earn that, Valentine will have to be ...

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 49 Cethan Carter

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SATURDAY, JUNE 15, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 6:38 PM

Cethan Carter | 6-4 | 230 pounds | Freshman | Tight end

Without veterans Ben Cotton and Kyler Reed around to hoard nearly all of the in-game snaps, there will be an opportunity for a contact-seeker who’s willing to clear a path downfield.

Carter might be that guy. He was technically a fullback and H-back during his junior year at Rummel (La.) High School before unveiling his pass-catching potential as a tight end last season. The kid likes to hit, and . . .

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 48 Gabe Miller

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SUNDAY, JUNE 16, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 6:40 PM

Gabe Miller | 6-0 | 235 pounds | Freshman | Long snapper

There aren’t many positions as mentally torturous as long snapper. You’re called on only when the offense fails, asked to do your job so well that nobody notices.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 47 Chongo Kondolo

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED MONDAY, JUNE 17, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:35 PM

Chongo Kondolo | 6-4 | 290 pounds | Junior | Offensive lineman

It became clear to offensive line coach John Garrison midway through spring practice that Nebraska needed to better develop its second-string offensive line. Good thing Kondolo was preparing to join the team this summer.

<snip>

rotating with (or overtaking) presumed starter Jake Cotton is not out of the question

LINK

D-Line is hurting. We know that. And the news about Valentine means that he is no instant solution. There are no instant solutions on this team right now. I think the coaches are hopeful of building a decent rotation on the line, particularly in the middle. We need to keep recruiting the position in the hopes that we get a couple of stand out difference makers soon. That's the only thing that will make the overall defense return to '08 and '09 levels.

D-Line is hurting. We know that. And the news about Valentine means that he is no instant solution. There are no instant solutions on this team right now. I think the coaches are hopeful of building a decent rotation on the line, particularly in the middle. We need to keep recruiting the position in the hopes that we get a couple of stand out difference makers soon. That's the only thing that will make the overall defense return to '08 and '09 levels.

VV is a standout difference maker. For all 2 downs he will be able to play per series.

On a serious note - there is a reason the "leaders" get after him more than anyone else on the team. They know what the defense is capable of when he is uhm, not happy. Hopefully, during conditioning and fall practice, he'll get his butt in good enough shape.

VV is an instant solution - IF he puts in the work to get in shape to do so consistently. I've seen with my own 2 eyes how good he can be. He ain't no joke, and from what I've heard, he has been getting into the weight room a little bit more... still not enough

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 46 Taariq Allen

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED TUESDAY, JUNE 18, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 9:43 PM

Taariq Allen | 6-3 | 195 pounds | Sophomore | Wide receiver

Just when it appeared that Allen was set to earn a permanent spot in Nebraska’s rotation last year, he was blocked from behind on a kickoff against Michigan. He blew out his knee on the play.

<snip>

Considering his 6-foot-3 frame and his ability to snatch passes at their highest point, Allen might just be the eventual heir apparent to senior Quincy Enunwa . . .

LINK

VV is a standout difference maker. For all 2 downs he will be able to play per series.

On a serious note - there is a reason the "leaders" get after him more than anyone else on the team. They know what the defense is capable of when he is uhm, not happy. Hopefully, during conditioning and fall practice, he'll get his butt in good enough shape.

VV is an instant solution - IF he puts in the work to get in shape to do so consistently. I've seen with my own 2 eyes how good he can be. He ain't no joke, and from what I've heard, he has been getting into the weight room a little bit more... still not enough

DAMNIT! We need him to perform well on the d-line! C'mon V!!!

Very few people have the potential to play in the NFL. From what I hear, VV has that potential. But if he doesn't start working his ass of, he may never make it, or at the very least, lose millions as a result. Suh got dramatically better every year he was coached by Bo, and began working on more advanced techniques (addressing double team, leadership, ect.) his last year that really helped him in the NFL and sponsorships. I sure hope Valentine doesn't look back in life filled with regret.