NSA leaker Edward Snowden: Hero or Traitor?

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

screw him. people act like we are the only country that spies on other countries.

Hopefully this is in the correct thread.

Yeah—spying on both friends and foes. IIRC, both Israel and France have been caught spying on us in the past. Not that that makes it right. Probably a lot of countries do it. To some extent.

It happens more than you think and their extent is sometimes worse than what we do. The Chinese are notorious for hacking us. Snowden will get his day in court.

screw him. people act like we are the only country that spies on other countries.

Hopefully this is in the correct thread.

Yeah—spying on both friends and foes. IIRC, both Israel and France have been caught spying on us in the past. Not that that makes it right. Probably a lot of countries do it. To some extent.

It is widely thought that all Air France first class seats are bugged. Since most large french corporations are either wholly or partially owned by the government this makes for good business.

Also didn't we deport half a dozen Russian spies a few years ago?

Yeah. But that's expected. I mean, is Russia really our trusted friend now? Despite the demise of communist USSR?

No, We just put up with them because we need a stable Europe/Africa/Middle East. This will help you understand the US/EU/PfP agreement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partnership_for_Peace_Information_Management_System

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

**BUMP**

Edward Snowden 'ready to return to States'

By Anna MALPAS 2 hours ago
Moscow (AFP) - Edward Snowden, the fugitive whistleblower who has been given refuge in Russia, is willing to return to the United States if he is given a fair trial, his lawyer said Tuesday. "He is thinking about it. He has a desire to return and we are doing everything we can to make it happen," Anatoly Kucherena, the Russian lawyer who represents the former National Security Agency contractor, told a news conference.
Snowden was given political asylum in Russia in the summer of 2013 after the US revoked his passport. He now leads a reclusive life there.

Wants to come home? That's insane. No way he will ever live in the U.S. as a free man. He'll end up spending the rest of his life behind bars. You just don't screw over the NSA like he did, then come back to talk about it.

**BUMP**

Moscow (AFP) - Edward Snowden, the fugitive whistleblower who has been given refuge in Russia, is willing to return to the United States if he is given a fair trial, his lawyer said Tuesday. "He is thinking about it. He has a desire to return and we are doing everything we can to make it happen," Anatoly Kucherena, the Russian lawyer who represents the former National Security Agency contractor, told a news conference.
Snowden was given political asylum in Russia in the summer of 2013 after the US revoked his passport. He now leads a reclusive life there.

Wants to come home? That's insane. No way he will ever live in the U.S. as a free man. He'll end up spending the rest of his life behind bars. You just don't screw over the NSA like he did, then come back to talk about it.

What??? He doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in a country with as open and honest of government like Russia that doesn't do any spying or espionage?

**BUMP**

What??? He doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in a country with as open and honest of government like Russia that doesn't do any spying or espionage?

True dat. But his options are somewhat limited at this point. LOL

**BUMP**

Though he is much safer with how much media coverage he would demand. And countries without extradition are not really that safe for him. And a conviction is far from guaranteed if he does return.

**BUMP**

Though he is much safer with how much media coverage he would demand. And countries without extradition are not really that safe for him. And a conviction is far from guaranteed if he does return.

I dunno. I think I rather live free in the smoldering shell of the former Soviet Union rather than face a coin flip of spending a half century in an American prison. Then again, I've never been to Russia.

**BUMP**

I dunno. I think I rather live free in the smoldering shell of the former Soviet Union rather than face a coin flip of spending a half century in an American prison. Then again, I've never been to Russia.

How free can he be in Russia if they think he knows secrets of the US government? I would suspect that Putin has him on a rather short leash.

**BUMP**

How free can he be in Russia if they think he knows secrets of the US government? I would suspect that Putin has him on a rather short leash.

Yeah. I guess it must suck being there. Or else he'd want to stay. I wonder what Snowden thought was going to happen when he release all those documents? That he'd become a huge hero?

**BUMP**

Yeah. I guess it must suck being there. Or else he'd want to stay. I wonder what Snowden thought was going to happen when he release all those documents? That he'd become a huge hero?

He did shed a lot of light on things the American people did not know was happening. I think he was of a mind that he was going to be viewed as a whistleblower. And many do view him like that.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE! (John Oliver likes to drop an F-bomb now and again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zg7_4AMXGs

WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE! (John Oliver likes to drop an F-bomb now and again)

John Oliver interview with Edward Snowden. He broaches the important topic of whether or not the NSA has a picture of your penis on file someplace. :lol:

Here is the whole interview: LINK Most of the serious questions John Oliver asks are in the full version.

• Fire 1