Racism Alive and Well

In Germany, as with most other European countries, they have to learn their natives languauges as well as english..

1. It's Europe, the countries are small so a lot of them already know like 3 or 4 other languages. 2. English is recognized as the International Business Language of the World.

The countries in Europe are small, so they're bilingual?

Great logic...

In Germany, as with most other European countries, they have to learn their natives languauges as well as english..

1. It's Europe, the countries are small so a lot of them already know like 3 or 4 other languages. 2. English is recognized as the International Business Language of the World.

Great logic...

some of those countries have more than 1 recognized official language like Switzerland. A countries size does depend on where it's located and how many other countries around it speak a different language.

Except for we are catering to them. Instead of asking them to speak English we comply with learning Spanish.

Who is requiring you to learn Spanish? I live in central Nebraska in an area that for a very long time has had a high Hispanic population. This goes all the way back to when my father was a child here and the Mexicans came up to work in the potato fields. Not once have I had anyone try to require me to learn Spanish.

However, most of the rest of the world is bilingual. It seems like only in America are we so stuck on ourselves that we think it's a bad thing to actually learn another language. Sure, Spanish and French are taught in school. But, that's a joke. Nobody actually takes those classes and comes out actually being able to speak Spanish. Heck, my daughter was laughing one day because one of the kids in her class who IS bilingual and speaks Spanish every night at home with his parents was failing Spanish class in school. Try to figure that one out.

I knew a guy one time from Brazil that was learning his 8th language. Amazing. And, he was fluent in all of them.

Now, I am fine with making English the "official" language in this country. But, I'm also fine with government forms being also offered in Spanish if they are needed. It's just not a big deal to me.

• Fire 3
Except for we are catering to them. Instead of asking them to speak English we comply with learning Spanish.

Who is requiring you to learn Spanish? I live in central Nebraska in an area that for a very long time has had a high Hispanic population. This goes all the way back to when my father was a child here and the Mexicans came up to work in the potato fields. Not once have I had anyone try to require me to learn Spanish.

However, most of the rest of the world is bilingual. It seems like only in America are we so stuck on ourselves that we think it's a bad thing to actually learn another language. Sure, Spanish and French are taught in school. But, that's a joke. Nobody actually takes those classes and comes out actually being able to speak Spanish. Heck, my daughter was laughing one day because one of the kids in her class who IS bilingual and speaks Spanish every night at home with his parents was failing Spanish class in school. Try to figure that one out.

I knew a guy one time from Brazil that was learning his 8th language. Amazing. And, he was fluent in all of them.

Now, I am fine with making English the "official" language in this country. But, I'm also fine with government forms being also offered in Spanish if they are needed. It's just not a big deal to me.

I live in a border state nice try. Not every Spanish is equal. A lot of them speak tex-mex and what they are taught in school is more formal and comes from Spain rather than the Americas. Good for the Brazilian who knows 8 languages. Ok that you are fine with government forms being in Spanish.

Great logic...

some of those countries have more than 1 recognized official language like Switzerland. A countries size does depend on where it's located and how many other countries around it speak a different language.

louie.gif

Well said.

I live in a border state nice try. Not every Spanish is equal. A lot of them speak tex-mex and what they are taught in school is more formal and comes from Spain rather than the Americas. Good for the Brazilian who knows 8 languages. Ok that you are fine with government forms being in Spanish.

Not all English is equal either. England speaks a more formal version of English, and someone from London probably couldn't even begin to decipher what someone from the Louisiana swamps is saying.

this is a generational thing as well. sure, the parents might be reluctant or unable to learn english, but their kids will learn it. and then it will be their primary language. this just seems like an awkward transitional period.

but again, i cannot believe anyone would think it was that big of a deal.

Not all English is equal either. England speaks a more formal version of English, and someone from London probably couldn't even begin to decipher what someone from the Louisiana swamps is saying.

I'm pretty sure nobody can decipher what someone from the Louisiana swamps is saying :lol:

Stop and think for a second; do you want 10-30 million people granted driver's licenses the majority of whom can't read English so they take the DL test in spanish. Ain't seen too many roadsigns in spanish even in one of the most liberal of states Kalifornia. Not that it matters on the freeways on the left coast :D

Good point. How could anyone safely drive without a good command of English.

If you can't read english, how will you know what these signs mean?

identify-meaning-road-sign-symbol-800x800.jpg

600px-Slippery_Road_Sign.svg.png

stoplight.gif

T.Octagon_Shape_20090808_143436_Sign_Museum_Way_SF_7841BCX.jpg

I mean, seriously:

Stop and think for a second

Yes, racism is still alive. It's bad enough when it targets an adult but seems much worse when directed at a young boy like this. I guess this is just one more reason to stay away from Twitter and tweets. I never have understood the draw of it to begin with. Ya know what? I don't care what somebody thinks or has to say about virtually anything unless they are speaking directly to me or in the context of something I care about (i.e. a thread/forum I am following on someplace like HB). This particular case is bad but I really have to wonder about people that get all upset over what some random a-hole said about some random event that really had nothing to do with them. Quit following Twitter and reading tweets and you'll be subjected to a lot less comments that make you question humanity. There is not one thing I am missing in life by not semonding or reading tweets. I would highly recommend it.

Seems about like the person who once said:

Yes. Drunk Driving is alive. People go to parties, drunk too much beer and drive drunk. I guess this is just one more reason to stay away from 16 oz red plastic SOLO cups. I never have understood the draw of it to begin with. Quit going to parties where beer is served in 16oz red plastic SOLO cups and you'll be subjected to a lot less comments that make you question humanity. There is not one thing I am missing in life by not going to these type of parties. I would highly recommend it.

Afterall, the best way to stop racism and discrimination is to look the other way and avoid places where you might witness it first hand. Well stated.

WTF are you babbling about? My comments were about the waste of time and energy that is Twitter. Nowhere did I indicated that ignoring the problem makes it go away. But if you're going to troll for racist comments on twitter, you're going to find plenty and it will give you a skewed sense of how pervasive the issue is. Might wanna stop by the mechanic and have em look at that thingy that controls comprehension.

JJ: "Yes, racism is still alive. It's bad enough when it targets an adult but seems much worse when directed at a young boy like this. I guess this is just one more reason to stay away from Twitter and tweets."

JJ: "My comments were about the waste of time and energy that is Twitter."

Sorry JJ. I thought your comments were about "racism" being "still alive" and that "is just one more reason to stay away from Twitter". I have no idea where I got that idea.

Never has been a official language but logic would dictate that English would be the top vote getter but has failed. Let's see Airline Pilots, medical personnel, government officials and military, tech geeksters and such all converse in English for the most part. And that seemingly unimportant document the Constitution was kinda written in a weird English. :D

Hypothetically, if you or anyone was going to move to France, Sweden, Switzerland any of the other utopia's rated above the US in quality of life. If you had an burning desire to move would you:

A. Just move over there and attempt to adapt?

B. Try to learn some semblance of the language prior to said move!

Stop and think for a second; do you want 10-30 million people granted driver's licenses the majority of whom can't read English so they take the DL test in spanish. Ain't seen too many roadsigns in spanish even in one of the most liberal of states Kalifornia. Not that it matters on the freeways on the left coast :D

One more question for Raw:

How do Spanish speaking people who drive cars in America know when it's time to add GRAVY to their car's engine?

Low_Oil_Lamp_Amber.jpg

My wife doesn't know some of those symbols and she is fluent in Spanish. checks over shoulder

International symbols are just that. DUH Stop and think.

Do street signs and direction signs in english translate the same in spanish?

• 1 month later...

Why would a distributor change the picture on a DVD cover from this:

5940_sapphires-oz-dvd-facebook.jpg

to this?

sapphires-dvd-cover-650.jpg

It can't be a simple marketing ploy to more prominently feature the more well-know actor in hopes of increasing sales, right? It has be be because the distributor is a racist bigot. That's the only possible reason.

The original Sapphires have called the DVD cover “disrespectful” of the “very talented young Aboriginal actors in the film, and it's disrespectful to us as a group.”

In a letter to the U.S. lobby group National Association For The Advancement Of Coloured People, the artists write: “As I'm sure you can appreciate, the treatment of people of colour in Australia mirrored much of the trauma to which people in the United States were subjected. That trauma – and much of that treatment – remains alive and well in Australia today, as I know it does in the United States.”

The letter continues, “The US cover of the DVD completely misses this point, and in fact reinforces precisely the sort of bigotry that Naomi, Beverly, Lois and Laurel fought so hard against.”

Billboard Article