DT Claude Pelon [USC Commit]

If he wants in, great. If not I'm not gonna be angry. I'm not a fan of bringing in a kid the size of Cam Meredith to play DT.

He has the frame to hold close to 300 with good weight. Juco meal plans are a little different than the Nebraska nutrition he would receive. Weight shouldn't be an issue. He has something Meredith never had. Quick twitch muscles.

If he wants in, great. If not I'm not gonna be angry. I'm not a fan of bringing in a kid the size of Cam Meredith to play DT.

He has the frame to hold close to 300 with good weight. Juco meal plans are a little different than the Nebraska nutrition he would receive. Weight shouldn't be an issue. He has something Meredith never had. Quick twitch muscles.

If he was a HS recruit, I would be more on your side. Building up to the desired weight in a healthy manner and getting used to playing at the heavier weight generally takes a year to acclimate to, making red shirting linemen almost standard practice. As it is, he is a JUCO and would be counted on right away. His 2nd year could be really good, but I am not sure you would get the immediate impact year 1 which is what you want the player to do as you lose the key development years.

If he was a HS recruit, I would be more on your side. Building up to the desired weight in a healthy manner and getting used to playing at the heavier weight generally takes a year to acclimate to, making red shirting linemen almost standard practice. As it is, he is a JUCO and would be counted on right away. His 2nd year could be really good, but I am not sure you would get the immediate impact year 1 which is what you want the player to do as you lose the key development years.

247 also lists him as possibly playing SDE so it's conceivable that he could start one spot then move. :dunno

247 also lists him as possibly playing SDE so it's conceivable that he could start one spot then move. :dunno

Good call mavric. Jared crick plays around 270 280 and he could man the middle fine. This kid doesn't need to hold 300 pounds even though he could. Getting accustomed to a weight is more important to guys that play in space. This kid could get to 280 andplplay inside. I hope it doesn't take a year for guys to get used to weight bc that means Randy Gregory won't play this year he is up to about 260 from 230. Can't wait to see that kid once Dobson and staff get a hold of him. Regardless of the discussion this guy can help is somewhere on the d line.

Any chances another Juco emerges in this cycle? Do we absolutely need one this cycle?

It is hard to get a JUCO DT when you are limited to two tippy-top guys that graduate in December that everybody wants. We're not exactly casting a broad net, and it isn't like we have a Tosh Lupoi to help us beat the odds. On the positive they must have some confidence in what they'll have on-hand if they are so picky about what JUCO they'd bring in.