Cat fish

Could this be because catfish tend to eat crap they find off the bottom and not other smaller live fish (as much)?

Depends on the species. You won't find flatheads eating crap off the bottom . . .

Nope...Flatheads feed off of live bait and that is about it.

I honestly didn't know that until just the other day. The big catfish I caught was large, greenish greyish color and had a flat head. I was sure it was a "flathead" catfish. I caught it on old stinky fish scraps from the weekend before.

The only other that I would think it would be is a channel cat and I thought those always/usually have spots on their sides and this one didn't.

I honestly didn't know that until just the other day. The big catfish I caught was large, greenish greyish color and had a flat head. I was sure it was a "flathead" catfish. I caught it on old stinky fish scraps from the weekend before.

The only other that I would think it would be is a channel cat and I thought those always/usually have spots on their sides and this one didn't.

If you caught it on stinky fish scraps it's likely that it was just a big channel or a blue. Channels over 5lbs or so generally don't have the spots that are common on younger fish. Also, I don't think that I've ever seen a greyish flathead. They generally are brown, yellow, green, or mottled.

flathead.jpg

Carlfense, if you like Catfish fishing, you should try some Sturgeon fishing. I know guys that go up to the Rainy River for these things and they get big and seem to fight a lot like catfish. Not sure if they have any big ones back in the Missouri river or not.

Carlfense, if you like Catfish fishing, you should try some Sturgeon fishing. I know guys that go up to the Rainy River for these things and they get big and seem to fight a lot like catfish. Not sure if they have any big ones back in the Missouri river or not.

Do you need a special license for them in Minn.?

Got this a few weekends ago at a lake outside of Omaha.

We were catching a ton of big crappie. After getting a smaller one, we hooked it and sent it out into deeper water on a heavier line.

This was one hell of a fight, especially with the dog jumping in and swimming after/on top of the fish.

Fish.jpg

No idea why it is rotated like this. Sorry.

• Fire 1

We were catching a ton of big crappie. After getting a smaller one, we hooked it and sent it out into deeper water on a heavier line.

This was one hell of a fight, especially with the dog jumping in and swimming after/on top of the fish.

Nice fish . . . and nice dog! We have a 4 month old golden. She keeps us busy. Haha.

I've caught little shovelnose sturgeon by accident . . . bizzarre looking fish. Prehistoric.

Pallid sturgeon do live in the Missouri River but they are very rare.

What I'd really like to do is go back to do is fish for halibut.

I've caught little shovelnose sturgeon by accident . . . bizzarre looking fish. Prehistoric.

Pallid sturgeon do live in the Missouri River but they are very rare.

What I'd really like to do is go back to do is fish for halibut.

Do you fish rod and reel for all the big flatheads you catch?

Do you fish rod and reel for all the big flatheads you catch?

Yes. I occasionally run set lines for channels using cut bait but I never waste my big live baits on set lines.

I think that over the years I've only caught one flathead on a set line (by accident) and it was under 5lbs.

Nice fish . . . and nice dog! We have a 4 month old golden. She keeps us busy. Haha.

also love the pup pup. Ours is gonna turn 6 soon. Looking to get another soon.

also love the pup pup. Ours golden is gonna turn 6 soon. Looking to get another soon.

My wife and I went fishing the other morning and weren't having much luck. We tried liver, worms, cut bait from bluegill and carp, stink bait from a store. Nothing was biting. We decided to cook some breakfast and just sit around for awhile longer before packing it in. While we were sitting there, my wife decided to throw a piece of sausage link from breakfast for the hell of it. She no more go her pole in the holder and wham, the line took off on her. She got it reeled in and it was a 6 lb channel cat. She put another piece on and about 5 minutes later, again, another cat weighing 3.5 lbs. we ended up catching 8 cats that morning off of sausage links.