Where and how do you cut things from your budget?

I'm not giving up my beer or wine. :D

I cut costs by cooking at home. I cook about as well as most restaurants, and the cost is SO MUCH LESS, so why eat out? And on those nights when I'm just tired and don't want to cook, I inevitably find myself hating the meal at the restaurant because it's crap and it cost about as much as my weekly grocery spending.

I guess my question is, how much money do you spend on booze in a week or a month or whatever? :cheers I mean, my wife isn't much of a drinker I will drink 2-3 beers a night, occasionally a whiskey and diet coke and maybe a pitcher of Margaritas about 4x a year. I spend maybe 100.00 bucks a month on booze for my home and that is on the high end.

I think $100 sounds about right. I mostly drink wine, but most of the wine I drink is Two-Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's, so three or four bottles a week is my normal purchase. Then a case of MGD for grilling, and semi-monthly some vodka for my bloody mary and that about covers it.

I suppose I could cut alcohol out of my life entirely but where's the fun in that? The wine I drink goes into many of the things I cook, and when you're out in front of a hot grill on a hot day, you need a beer. Or three.

• Fire 1

I'm not giving up my beer or wine. :D

I cut costs by cooking at home. I cook about as well as most restaurants, and the cost is SO MUCH LESS, so why eat out? And on those nights when I'm just tired and don't want to cook, I inevitably find myself hating the meal at the restaurant because it's crap and it cost about as much as my weekly grocery spending.

I guess my question is, how much money do you spend on booze in a week or a month or whatever? :cheers I mean, my wife isn't much of a drinker I will drink 2-3 beers a night, occasionally a whiskey and diet coke and maybe a pitcher of Margaritas about 4x a year. I spend maybe 100.00 bucks a month on booze for my home and that is on the high end.

I think $100 sounds about right. I mostly drink wine, but most of the wine I drink is Two-Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's, so three or four bottles a week is my normal purchase. Then a case of MGD for grilling, and semi-monthly some vodka for my bloody mary and that about covers it.

I suppose I could cut alcohol out of my life entirely but where's the fun in that? The wine I drink goes into many of the things I cook, and when you're out in front of a hot grill on a hot day, you need a beer. Or three.

Just wondering, never been much of a wine guy and I know that stuff can get pretty expensive. Microbrews can also get pretty expensive. Like I said before I still drink a lot of Busch Lt. and am not above buying Natty Lt. Eating out is a big expense anyone can cut out. I knew a couple, they are now divorced, that ate out probably 7-8x per week, just because they didn't like to cook. I can't imagine how much they spent on eating out.

If you are trying to save up more cash, where do you look to make cuts?

Booze?

Cable TV?

DirectTV?

Cheaper foods?

Cooking at home?

What kinds of things do you try to do so that you can save some more cash?

I think for me, it is the liquor purchases that eat into a bit much.

For most people, a cell phone and particularly a smart phone is a luxury, not a necessity. Cancel the contracts and save a ton.

We have actually cut out our land line. Anytime someone wants to get us on the phone it's usually on our cells.

Yep. I havnt had a land line in years. And never plan to again. I don't know anyone under 40 who would consider a cell phone a luxury, its the primary means of communication. Also, don't just go and kill a cell contract, there can be several hundred dollars in early termination fees.

If you are trying to save up more cash, where do you look to make cuts?

Booze?

Cable TV?

DirectTV?

Cheaper foods?

Cooking at home?

What kinds of things do you try to do so that you can save some more cash?

I think for me, it is the liquor purchases that eat into a bit much.

I've called both DirecTV and my phone company and changed my packages up and took things off I wasn't using anymore. Saved me about $60.00 a month..............I also have an excel spreadsheet that I put my bills and budget on. To me you have to run your house basically like a business..............no profits and there's a problem so then I'll break it down by every single dime we spend and find out where the leak is. I also bought a Ninja 250r to help me save gas mileage on my truck. It'll take me a little while to make up money, about $3500, but I get 50 to 60 mpg out of it compared to 16 in my truck. I'll probably downgrade my iPhone to a regular phone soon because I have an iPhone 5 through my work with unlimited text messaging, unlimited internet, and basically unlimited minutes so it doesn't make much sense to carry around two iPhones, but I don't want to cancel my other phone entirerly just in case.