• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

Was able to see this rocket in person a few months back. If it works as planned it will be an absolute game changer for cheaper access to space. About 150t to low earth orbit, same altitude as international space station, for only $2M per launch when production is ramped up.

It's hard to get a gauge how big this thing really is. What was it like in person?

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's hard to get a gauge how big this thing really is. What was it like in person?

The actual ship is 16 stories tall, and has more cargo space than a 747. When fully stacked (with the booster), I didn't see this, it is close to 400 feet tall.

Linked is a photo I took. If you zoom in real close to the object under the Ship on the road you can see a size comparison. And even this pic doesn't do it justice.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nnTm8rge8KVGAvqb8

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Something I've never understood that maybe some more tech/engineering savvy folks could help me gain knowledge in...

Why do we have to use unreal amounts of fuel and have to be such slaves to the most precise physics imaginable on a controlled burn to get safely out of the atmosphere with rockets? That one Red Bull guy set the world record for highest free fall by using a balloon - surely we could make a hot air balloon system to carry a rocket out of the atmosphere gradually? Safely exit, and then from that vantage point be much more economical with fuel useage.

7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Something I've never understood that maybe some more tech/engineering savvy folks could help me gain knowledge in...

Why do we have to use unreal amounts of fuel and have to be such slaves to the most precise physics imaginable on a controlled burn to get safely out of the atmosphere with rockets? That one Red Bull guy set the world record for highest free fall by using a balloon - surely we could make a hot air balloon system to carry a rocket out of the atmosphere gradually? Safely exit, and then from that vantage point be much more economical with fuel useage.

My off-the-top-of-my-head guess is that scaling that up to industrial payload capacity would require a balloon the size of Rhoade Island (give or take).

• Fire 1