Evidently with the new engines and increased engines on the booster (29 previously to 33 engines) and starship (6 previously to 9 engines), folks are calculating SpaceX will be able to put 220t to low earth orbit (LEO), with a cargo bay far bigger than the ISS. And on Lex Friedman's podcast, Musk stated starship theoretically can go down to $1M per launch. 

For perspective the new starship is theorized to be 21 feet longer, so about 180 feet tall and is 9 meters or 27ish feet across, with a cargo capacity of a 747 jumbo jet and then some. 220t is the weight of more than 150 average sized cars. And at $1M per launch is a fraction of $450M per launch of the space shuttle and that could only carry 29t to LEO. Furthermore with refueling Starship can bring that same 220t to the moon, mars, etc.

Also, add at scale production Musk says they'll be able to produce 2 Starships per week, and believes he'll be able to launch this behemoth 2-3 times a day.

While the future is still unknown, we are on the cusp of something special.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

e

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

"WASHINGTON — The size of NASA’s astronaut corps may soon fall below the minimum level the agency needs to support space station and Artemis missions [missions back to the moon] and other activities, the agency’s inspector general warns."

https://spacenews.com/nasa-inspector-general-warns-astronaut-corps-may-be-too-small/

Coach put me in, I'll go. Rest of y'all suit up.

i might have to forward this to clay and see if he wants to unretire.   lol

• 3 weeks later...