New Soccer and Tennis Complex

Any support out there for a men's soccer team?

I don't remember what article it was mentioned in, but it mentioned that UNL is only really looking at adding women's sports at the moment.

No support will ever exist until we have a women's counter-sport to add at the same time. Title IX.

I don't remember what article it was mentioned in, but it mentioned that UNL is only really looking at adding women's sports at the moment.

No support will ever exist until we have a women's counter-sport to add at the same time. Title IX.

:yeah

I would guess that men's hockey would be next and even that is down the road quite a ways.

I would guess that men's hockey would be next and even that is down the road quite a ways.

The facility is there to add men's soccer and women's field hockey or women's lacross. I just think it would be kinda cool to compete with Creighton in men's soccer.

Men's hockey would be really cool, but is going to take a lot more $$.

The facility is there to add men's soccer and women's field hockey or women's lacross. I just think it would be kinda cool to compete with Creighton in men's soccer.

Men's hockey would be really cool, but is going to take a lot more $$.

Quite possible. But I believe The Vault can hold hockey as well so we'll be set for anything.

If you had to create the same amount of scholarships for women to offset men's soccer and then add in the fact that we already have a women's program I say it's a long long shot we get men's soccer anytime soon.

• 1 year later...

The soon to be completed University of Nebraska Soccer and Tennis Complex, located on 28 acres directly north of Nebraska Innovation Campus, has officially been named Hibner Stadium and Barbara Hibner Field for soccer and the Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center.

In his third year as Nebraska’s Director of Athletics, Shawn Eichorst said the goal before building the new soccer and tennis complex was to develop a first-class on-campus facility that will provide the University the ability to recruit and develop the nation’s best and brightest student-athletes.
“We are very grateful to Chancellor (Harvey) Perlman, the Board of Regents and our tremendous supporters for their support of this wonderful project,” Eichorst said.
Hibner Stadium features a full-sized competition field with lights and seating for about 2,500 spectators. The Huskers will compete in the new facility beginning this fall, moving from their previous home at the Nebraska Soccer Field, which was the smallest competitive soccer field in the Big Ten and the only field in the conference without lights.
Omaha’s Bill and Ruth Scott, both UNL graduates and generous supporters for the schools within the University of Nebraska system, donated the lead gift for the soccer project. The Scott family also donated the lead gift that revitalized the Bob Devaney Sports Center and created Terry Pettit Court for volleyball.

Link

• 1 month later...