My wife talked to some of the neighbors today and they said they'll start calling the cops as well. Words only go so far, action is what will be needed. Chicken $hit still hasn't come over to talk with me about the issue. Figures..........

You talked to his friend or roommate or whoever, but did you actually say that you wanted to talk to the owner, or did you just assume that talking to the friend would prompt him to come over? Not everyone reacts that way. He may just be hoping to continue on and avoid you. Yeah, kind of Chicken $hit, kind of just human nature, but you are also avoiding him too. It just seems to me that you are being passive aggressive. I think you are expecting him to behave like you would, and he clearly isn't, but that doesn't mean it can't be worked out. Go talk to the guy and tell him what's on your mind. Unless you're ready to move anyway I wouldn't sell my house without at least trying to resolve the issue.

Ding Ding Ding...exactly!

Have you done everything but just go over there and chat with him? According to what you think you know, he has recently lost his lady, his kid, moved into a house he might have a hard time affording and now has neighbors that "hate" him. Maybe, just go talk to him.

A guy 2 houses down from me flies a confederate flag outside his front door every day, and my view at night looking down from the upstairs window is a second confederate flag lit up in the window.

Not sure how to feel about this, other than the probability of him owning more than one firearm approaches 100%

A guy 2 houses down from me flies a confederate flag outside his front door every day, and my view at night looking down from the upstairs window is a second confederate flag lit up in the window.

Not sure how to feel about this, other than the probability of him BEING A COMPLETE NUTCASE approaches 100%

I think you may be over reacting. Just talk to the guy.

I might be, but of course I was raised to not throw trash in another person's yard. Shouldn't have to have that conversation with an adult IMO.

Good idea hskerholic!

BRI Gun up and tell him to obey the man laws of the neighborhood. If he does not know what the man laws are, tell him politely what you expect from him and if he fails to comply (he is a Cockeye or Cyclops fan) offer to pistol whip him every time he falls out of line. Negative reinforcement is the way to go. If you need any help, fell free to give me a call!

My wife talked to some of the neighbors today and they said they'll start calling the cops as well. Words only go so far, action is what will be needed. Chicken $hit still hasn't come over to talk with me about the issue. Figures..........

You talked to his friend or roommate or whoever, but did you actually say that you wanted to talk to the owner, or did you just assume that talking to the friend would prompt him to come over? Not everyone reacts that way. He may just be hoping to continue on and avoid you. Yeah, kind of Chicken $hit, kind of just human nature, but you are also avoiding him too. It just seems to me that you are being passive aggressive. I think you are expecting him to behave like you would, and he clearly isn't, but that doesn't mean it can't be worked out. Go talk to the guy and tell him what's on your mind. Unless you're ready to move anyway I wouldn't sell my house without at least trying to resolve the issue.

I'm not avoiding him, I told his roommate I wanted to talk with the owner, he said he'd tell the owner. I'm not avoiding him, I'm not scared of him, it's probably best that I have a few days before I talk with him because I was pissed enough on Saturday night to do something stupid if he ran his chops.

Have you done everything but just go over there and chat with him? According to what you think you know, he has recently lost his lady, his kid, moved into a house he might have a hard time affording and now has neighbors that "hate" him. Maybe, just go talk to him.

Wasn't his kid, it was her kid from what I understand. He works days, I work evenings, I can't talk with him about a personal issue when I'm on duty. The city doesn't pay me to deal with my personal problems while I'm on duty. I'm off the next four days starting Thursday, we'll talk about it at some point I can guarantee that. No way in hell is my wife going to go over there and talk with him for two reasons: 1. She isn't very good with confrontation since she doesn't deal with it every day like I do. 2. If he did say something to her to piss her off or disrespectful to her his issue with me would completely get out of control and my conversation would involve quite a few curse words, yelling, and god only knows what else.

Wasn't his kid, it was her kid from what I understand. He works days, I work evenings, I can't talk with him about a personal issue when I'm on duty. The city doesn't pay me to deal with my personal problems while I'm on duty. I'm off the next four days starting Thursday, we'll talk about it at some point I can guarantee that. No way in hell is my wife going to go over there and talk with him for two reasons: 1. She isn't very good with confrontation since she doesn't deal with it every day like I do. 2. If he did say something to her to piss her off or disrespectful to her his issue with me would completely get out of control and my conversation would involve quite a few curse words, yelling, and god only knows what else.

So she's a Virgo, huh?

Went over to my neighbors house last night as his new roommate asked me if I wanted some food as they were having another party. So I figured what the heck, he's making an effort so I'll try as well. I went over there and the guy that owns the house wouldn't look at me, wouldn't talk to me, nothing. I tried to get his attention, but apparently he's either afraid to talk with me or he just isn't gonna talk to me. I talked with several other folks over there that know I'm a cop and know I'm the one that called the cops last weekend to deal with the issues at that house. I explained the situation to all of them and no one disagreed with what I had to say. Every single one of them was friggin plowed! I had one girl come up to me, introduce herself and I introduced myself. She said, "You're a cop aren't you?" I said, "Yes I am and your intoxicated, you don't plan on driving do you?" She just went and sat down on the couch in disbelief that I was able to pick up on that fairly quickly.

I did meet with a realtor earlier today and got some great news on my house. I can make everything back from my home that I've put into it and possibly more. That's good news to me as I've put probably about $12,000 into it for upgrades, landscaping, etc around the house. This house was brand new when we moved into it 3 years ago. I would like to move to a bigger house, but I have to talk with my wife first and go from there. I told my wife it went well, but we'll have to seriously sit down and have a serious conversation about it. My realtor told me the house would probably sell in a week if that long. Her business partner actually has a couple that is looking for this exact type of house and couldn't find one in the city I live in so it could probably sell the day we put it on the market. Their maximum purchasing price is our minimum selling price according to the realtor. We'll see how the conversation goes with my wife, but I'm leaning towards selling it. The neighbor across the street is moving as well and I have no idea who's going to move into that place obviously.

• 10 months later...

So, whatever happened with this?

Good question! So over time the roommate I originally talked to got shadier and shadier. One night one of our guys pulls up on a broke down vehicle on the side of the road, the dudes barred from driving so the officer places him under arrest after some passive aggressive resistance verbally and it ends up being the neighbors roommate. He basically told the officer he was a bada$$ in martial arts and was going to kick his ***. Never happened fortunately for the officer and roommate. So time goes on and this guy keeps driving and driving and driving while barred and living next door to me like I don't know. I try for the longest time to get him, but I think he figured out my schedule and left at the "right times" so-to-speak. He eventually gets arrested by one of the local agencies for OWI 2nd, driving while barred, etc and refuses to show up for court. So now he has warrants, agencies start showing up next door looking for him, asking me questions, etc. Neighbors in the area start to notice and they start asking me questions. At this point the owner of the home really hasn't spoken to me.

I'm at the store one day, see the guy that owns the house, tell him we need to talk when I get home and he says he was wanting to talk with me as well. I tell him everything that's been going on with the roommate and he said he had no idea until he happened to see some paperwork for a court date on OWI that was downstairs in the family room area of their house. Says he's been having problems getting rent from this guy, confrontations with him, etc. I told him he lives next door to two cops, neighbor on other side of me is a cop as well, we're both getting pissed about this because it's a giant slap in the face to us and everyone in the neighborhood knows what's going on. It's only a matter of time before someone tries to say we're letting him get away with all this. He said he understood, talked with the roommate and kicked him out of the house. During our discussions we talked about all the parties and the B.S. leading up to this particular conversation, everything went VERY well and was cordial. I told him I wasn't trying to tell him how to live in his own home, just giving him our perspective. The roommate showed up at my door a few days later shaking like a leaf. I thought for sure we were going to get into a fist fight, but he actually showed up to apologize to me and tried to thank me for everything. I told him not to thank me, I'd been trying to catch him, knew he'd figured out my schedule and I didn't let him get away from anything. Truth be told I issued one warrant for him, he got arrested on this warrant and he was also arrested by my old agency from some (cough) intel they received from an anonymous source.

Currently, we get along pretty well, he's got a pretty serious girlfriend right now and she lives with him. She's got him pretty squared away and I think he'll end up marrying this girl, she's real nice. He jokes how he had to figure out suburbia and it took some time. I've drank several beers with him and we have friendly conversations on a weekly basis. He's ask me advice on how to take care of his yard, had ZERO parties this year and is hard worker. He was just trying to help someone he barely knew, the roommate out, was stuck in a weird transition phase, and seemed to have some issues growing up there at first.