Big Ten Media Days Thread

Bo says the program is excited about the upcoming season. Had a tremendous offseason. Kids are excited, they worked their butts off this summer. Like where they are as a football program. Proud of the team, where they are on the field, in the classroom, in the community. It goes to the character of the guys we have on this football team. The season is going to be a tremendous challenge like it always is. Interesting schedule with an extra home game. First and foremost have to have a great fall camp. Work hard, improve us, get better each and every day. We're going to get what we earn. Looking forward to everything that lies ahead.

Said "you know" about 20 times in there.

Questions

Some losses last year were shocking to the core, with the defensive lapses. Bo's known as a defensive coach, what did you do in the offseason to get better?

It's nothing magical, it's about tackling better. At the end of the day you have to execute. We've studied it and addressed it. You need to be more consistent. You look at our wins and where we rank nationally on defense on that, and where we were in our losses, there's no room for error. You're playing spread-out teams and some good football teams, and you can't let it get away from you. Fundamentally, technique-wise and execution wise you have to be better.

Why was Thomas Brown dismissed?

Bo doesn't talk about it. Violation of team rules. Wish him luck at his next school.

As you go through a transition in college football, how do you deal with that change?

Bo says there's always an adjustment period for a team going into a conference for the first time. Requires extra work in the offseason. You have to spend more time familiarizing yourself against teams you haven't seen or coached against.

Not many questions. Looking for people to raise their hands....

How do you feel about your offense?

Bo likes our offense. Starts with QB, and we have a four-year starter at QB and some really dynamic pieces around him. On paper the best offensive line since he's been there, and that includes the backups. If they can get some kids to provide depth at certain positions, it could be a really potent offense. Feels good about Coach Beck's scheme. Wouldn't trade this offense for anybody. Likes what they're doing.

What's it like to open with Illinois for five straight years?

Until you said that I didn't know that. I know they're our opener this year, and that's what I'm focused on. Lot of respect for Illinois. Lots of tradition over there, their coach is getting them going in the right direction. Challenge for opening day.

Nine game schedule. Not in the same division as Ohio State/Michigan. What are your thoughts about the nine-game schedule?

Gonna be different. Creates scheduling issues with future games. Has some trouble with the five/four format. Inevitable to go to nine games with the expansion of the conference. You're down to three OOC games which changes your dynamics. Most conferences that are past 10 teams it'll be uniform throughout college football to have nine conference games.

With inexperience in the front seven, as a defensive coach do you have great challenges there?

We're going to have some inexperience, some inexperienced guys mixed through there, but it'll make for great competition. We're athletic and talented and Bo will take that any day of the week. Requires a lot of hard work on everyone's part. Likes the group, how they finished Spring, and the incoming guys. We're doing a couple of different things to add to what we've been doing defensively. Gonna be more multiple.

Regarding Taylor. Big change in mechanics from 2011 to 2012. What's your level of comfort with having external coaches like the coach in California coach your players.

Taylor's main coach is Coach Beck. Taylor works with his coach at home and he's at the University most of the year. Coach Beck does a great job with Taylor but it's nice to have some reinforcement. Taylor's made great strides but he has room for improvement. Not close to his potential. Taylor had an improved Spring. Being a great QB isn't about just technique and fundamentals it's about working hard and knowing the offense. Taylor made some big changes in throwing motion and shoulder level and footwork. Has to keep working on that because it's the little things that help you have success.

How have you talked to your team about targeting rules? What concerns do you have about the application of that?

Talked to the team in the Spring because they knew it was coming around the corner. Looked on film for examples to show the team how to and how not to tackle. Bo's "scary thing" is that it's so subjective, and you don't know exactly what they'll call. It's a bit overboard. It's about the safety of the players and they're all for that, just need to make sure they're not messing with the integrity of the game.

• Fire 3

From ESPN's live chat with Ciante Evans:

Peter (Washington DC) asks: 
Ciante, Can you name a player on neb's defense that isn't widely known now but will be a household name in the BIG by season's end?

Ciante Evans: If I had to name one, I would probably say Jason Ankrah, defensive end. I think he's poised to have a real good year. He's been working hard all offseason.

Someone must have been giving him sugar cubes.

From ESPN's live chat with Ciante Evans:

Peter (Washington DC) asks: 
Ciante, Can you name a player on neb's defense that isn't widely known now but will be a household name in the BIG by season's end?

Ciante Evans: If I had to name one, I would probably say Jason Ankrah, defensive end. I think he's poised to have a real good year. He's been working hard all offseason.

Someone must have been giving him sugar cubes.

Free centaur!