Suggestion on SOS

I'd like to see the BCS formula changed so that a school's ranking is based on the number of wins it has each year and that a win over a non-BCS school would not be counted. This would address the tradition that some schools have of repeatedly scheduling creampuffs.

IMHO the more quality OOC matchups there are the better it is for college football. Non-conference games with quality opponents are more highly anticipated, by both fans and the media, and they are more fun to watch. It also enables fans to better gauge a team's overall quality earlier in the season.

Is this a good idea or not?

It's a good idea in concept, but it's not practical. With conferences getting bigger and going to 9-game schedules, that takes away one out of conference game. That wouldn't be such a problem, except that schools rely on a certain amount of home games to make money - if one extra game is now guaranteed to rotate home and away, the remaining out-of-conference games really need to almost always be played at home and the better opponents won't agree to come to your place without you going to theirs.

But I do not see that as a problem. Many schools set up "home and home" OOC games. UCLA has had lots of them in the past decade (Nebraska, Tennessee and Texas come to mind.) I assume that teams which normally sell out their stadiums (Tennessee, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc) lose some money by setting up "home and home" series. But so what? Couldn't the risk of losing money be offset with a formula that would give them a better shot at the NC game if they schedule a tough OOC component and win? And don't schools make the most money when they win the NC?

I just don't like the idea that we are rewarding schools for ducking quality teams. Look at some of the SEC and BIG 10 opponents from last year.

Let's say Nebraska played Alabama in an early OOC game this upcoming season. And let's say it was a "home and home" series.

Yes, both schools might not make as much money as if they were playing a creampuff. But think of the buzz! Think of the ratings! And think what a great leg up the victor would have in the NC hunt! Instead of September being a relatively ho-hum month, just think of the excitement.

I just think that a team should be rewarded for taking risks -- not for avoiding them (a la SEC). Set it up so each school has to play 3 OOC games and then change the math so that a school gets more credit for an "away" victory against a quality OOC opponent.

Am I missing something?

I get your point and all, but you left out the Pac 12 when discussing weak OOC schedules. Hawaii, Nicholls St. Northern Arizona, and E. Washington are 4 Pac 12 opponents this first week of college football. The Pac 12 does it too. No one is going to say that New Mexico St. is a football power either are they?

I've always believed that the Pac-10 and now Pac-12 has done better than most conferences on their OOC SOS. Of course there are exceptions. But Stanford and USC always play Notre Dame. UCLA has played Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, Michigan and Nebraska in recent OOC games. I think there are 3 schools in all of the BSC that have never played a non-BCS opponent - UCLA is one and I think Notre Dame is another but I cannot remember the third. Can anyone out there tell me?

Also, I think that almost all Pac-12 schools schedule their creampuff opponents durng the first 3 games. Pac-12 schools generally do not scheduile creampuffs later in the year. Isn't there a week in the Big 10 later in the year during which almost all of teams schedule creampuffs - or is it the SEC that does this? I am not sure. There is a definite advantage to scheduling creampuffs later, as a team is more likely recovering from more injuries later in the year.

The most important point is that no matter which conference does it, the scheduling of creampuffs, early or late, should not be rewarded.

I've always been pro-playing Oklahoma every year. Just so many memorable games over the years that it is tough to continue to not keep it alive.

In general, I think the PAC follows more of a 1 good team + 2 cream puffs mantra rather than 3 cream puffs - which is better, but not overwhelming. I remember Oregon played Ark State, Fresno State and Tenn Tech last year for non-con, and O State played Nicholls State, Wisconsin and BYU, I believe. Can't speak for the rest of the conference though.