expansion news

I still think an ACC grab of FSU and GT is entirely plausible.

SEC?

Georgia and Florida would reject out of hand--the SEC would want their blessing before allowing another in-state school in, and they likely wouldn't give it. Plus, the SEC is already king in those markets--the SEC would have nothing to gain from a market or media standpoint with those acquisitions IMO. Same pie (contract), but more mouths to feed.

---

As for Missouri, Kansas City is considered a decent media market, alongside St. Louis. Problem is, Missouri doesn't even carry all of Missouri--they're splitting time with the Kansas schools, Nebraska, and (in St. Louis), Illinois.

If Kansas City was a market they thought was viable, Missouri would have been in the B1G before Nebraska. I am not saying it isn't a big market but it seems Delaney wants to focus more to the East Coast.

Correct. The coasts and the South are where you're seeing expansion (save for Chicago and Minneapolis, IIRC), so that's what they're targeting.

However, national brands can compensate for weakness in other areas--that's why Kansas was (is) on the B1G's radar. They're a national brand via Basketball, they command some of the KC and MO markets, and they've even been to a BCS bowl more recently than we have (sad, but true). Kansas isn't a home run on its own...but paired with the right school, it's a good, safe bet for expansion.

Again, though...GORs. All BCS conferences, save the SEC, have 'em, and they probably won't be broken until Texass breaks 'em.

Correct. The coasts and the South are where you're seeing expansion (save for Chicago and Minneapolis, IIRC), so that's what they're targeting.

However, national brands can compensate for weakness in other areas--that's why Kansas was (is) on the B1G's radar. They're a national brand via Basketball, they command some of the KC and MO markets, and they've even been to a BCS bowl more recently than we have (sad, but true). Kansas isn't a home run on its own...but paired with the right school, it's a good, safe bet for expansion.

Again, though...GORs. All BCS conferences, save the SEC, have 'em, and they probably won't be broken until Texass breaks 'em.

In terms of Kansas, their football stadium has a track around it. Football does not have much support. I listen to a bit of KC sports talk radio and KU basketball dominates the KC market. The radio shows consider KU basketball to be KC's NBA team, and KU has no academic issues.

Oklahoma has the national football brand that the B1G needs in the next round of expansion, academics asside.

I think the BIG12's GOR run until 2018, about 2 years before the ACC's. I could be wrong about that. Those are the 2 I would next on the radar.

I still think an ACC grab of FSU and GT is entirely plausible.

SEC?

No B1G. This is after a the SEC or Texas makes a move. I'd also be okay with Oklahoma/Kansas but I just don't see Oklahoma breaking ties with OSU and still being allowed on the Boone Pickens gravy train of booster funds.

I'd also be okay with Oklahoma/Kansas but I just don't see Oklahoma breaking ties with OSU and still being allowed on the Boone Pickens gravy train of booster funds.

They're tethered together by the state legislature, and unless things have changed, T. Boones Farms Pickens has the state legislature on lockdown--no way Oklahoma can escape without their little brother, short of something happening to T.

Kind of like how the Texas Legislature (and Governor) saddled the Big XII with Baylor during its unholy formation.

OU wouldn't come to the B1G...They are tied at the hip with Texas even though they won't admit it. I'm surprised WVU isn't being thought of for the B1G to poach from the Big12. My guess would be academic issues.

Oklahoma's AD admitted some time ago they hitched the Schooner to Bevo during the first Big XII exodus. Don't know if that still stands, considering the AD also admitted that expansion isn't over...but it was put out there.

I'd go find the article, but I'm lazy, and it's Friday. :)

Big 12 is open to raiding. The conference never got stable enough for the league to fully uphold any GORs in my opinion. So perhaps two schools, West Virginia and KSU to go with Kansas? Iowa State maybe.

If the B1G needs to expand for the sake of expansion, they could go this route if that is all there is to do.

None of the states you listed has a large TV audience for BTN to expand into. Or they are already there.

If OU and Texas come as a package its to the Pac 12. OU MAYBE solo to Big Ten. Otherwise what large TV market is available that isnt handcuffed to a league by a GOR? And how is Kansas City not a big market?

If Kansas City was a market they thought was viable, Missouri would have been in the B1G before Nebraska. I am not saying it isn't a big market but it seems Delaney wants to focus more to the East Coast.

True the east expansion is clearly priority. But now that the divisions are in more permanent place Id expect one each east and west. Mizzou didnt have the impact Delaney wanted that a move by Nebraska would make. Granted Lincoln and Omaha arent KC but it is an entire state and Nebraskas a national brand so it was more appealing. Hindsight Im surprised he didnt make a move for both of them.

Big 12 is open to raiding. The conference never got stable enough for the league to fully uphold any GORs in my opinion. So perhaps two schools, West Virginia and KSU to go with Kansas? Iowa State maybe.

If the B1G needs to expand for the sake of expansion, they could go this route if that is all there is to do.

None of the states you listed has a large TV audience for BTN to expand into. Or they are already there.

If OU and Texas come as a package its to the Pac 12. OU MAYBE solo to Big Ten. Otherwise what large TV market is available that isnt handcuffed to a league by a GOR? And how is Kansas City not a big market?

True the east expansion is clearly priority. But now that the divisions are in more permanent place Id expect one each east and west. Mizzou didnt have the impact Delaney wanted that a move by Nebraska would make. Granted Lincoln and Omaha arent KC but it is an entire state and Nebraskas a national brand so it was more appealing. Hindsight Im surprised he didnt make a move for both of them.

Then he would have had to have a 3rd team in mind as well to make an even 14. Plus at the time conferences were trying to get to 12 teams not 14. As soon as the SEC took Missouri and Texas A & M to get to 14, Delaney made the move for Maryland and Rutgers.

In terms of Kansas, their football stadium has a track around it. Football does not have much support. I listen to a bit of KC sports talk radio and KU basketball dominates the KC market. The radio shows consider KU basketball to be KC's NBA team, and KU has no academic issues.

Oklahoma has the national football brand that the B1G needs in the next round of expansion, academics asside.

I think the BIG12's GOR run until 2018, about 2 years before the ACC's. I could be wrong about that. Those are the 2 I would next on the radar.

I believe the ACC GOR is until 2026. The Big12 isn't too far before that.

• Fire 1

I'd love Texas, OU, FSU or GIT

but if 15 and 16 were KU and UVA that would be good enough for me.

Good picks.

Once you hit 18, why not go for 20, with newbies in red.

NU,OU,UT,KU,Mizzou

Iowa, Wiscy, NW, Illini, Minn

Purdue,IU,MSU,OSU,Mich

PSU,Rutgers,Maryland,Virginia,GT

They meet all the criteria (except OU=AAU), and many annual rivalries are back.

I am just not sure that Nebraska can stomach being in the same pod as Texa$$.

Would it be an awkward threesome?

Really? I'd be ok with Kansas, but if your last 4 additions to a conference are Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas, and Virgina then you failed....

OU has to be a target for the B1G. Even if the likelihood of them coming isn't high....Why not Tennessee? UVA, MD, RU, GT, BC doesn't do anything for me, or the B1G conference..... If Delany's plan is to continue to water down the conference then just leave it at 14. Just thinking about the additions of Maryland, and Rutgers makes me a little sick to my stomach....

• Fire 1

Really? I'd be ok with Kansas, but if your last 4 additions to a conference are Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas, and Virgina then you failed....

OU has to be a target for the B1G. Even if the likelihood of them coming isn't high....Why not Tennessee? UVA, MD, RU, GT, BC doesn't do anything for me, or the B1G conference..... If Delany's plan is to continue to water down the conference then just leave it at 14. Just thinking about the additions of Maryland, and Rutgers makes me a little sick to my stomach....

Tennessee doesn't fit the Academic profile of the Big Ten. Then there is a the fact that they are a struggling former power in a mediocre recruiting state. Right now they are 4th most powerful program in their own DIVISION not conference. They are also an original member of the SEC and will never leave their rivals Georgia,Florida and Alabama.

OU would be in the Big Ten already if not for Okie Lite, probably. I hesitate to say that is possible with what people have said about the OK politics and T Boone.

Adding UVA and KU would keep us from realigning divisions AGAIN and would bring in GREAT recruiting base in Virginia along with an old Nebraska friend to West that would feel like natural rivals with Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois.

UVA recruits better than almost every Big Ten team already so the potential is there.They are easy to hate with their elitist fanbase and the area brings the Big Ten influence in the South while keeping it a cohesive group. Kansas brings great bball, good tv market and natural rivalries like mentioned. UVA would also have natural rivalries in UMD and PSU(longtime foes)

If we can't get into Florida(FSU),Texas(UT) or Georgia(GIT) for recruiting then I think Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania,Maryland,Virginia, New Jersey along with some top players in m1ch1g@n and Indiana is a good recruiting base.

• Fire 1