expansion news

This thread needs to be renamed to expansion rumor and argument. Very little news going on in here.

Its a group therapy thread. We all have Maryland /Rutgers buyer's remorse and need to talk about more interesting options for the futrue.

I'd love Texas, OU, FSU or GIT

but if 15 and 16 were KU and UVA that would be good enough for me.

Really? I'd be ok with Kansas, but if your last 4 additions to a conference are Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas, and Virgina then you failed....

OU has to be a target for the B1G. Even if the likelihood of them coming isn't high....Why not Tennessee? UVA, MD, RU, GT, BC doesn't do anything for me, or the B1G conference..... If Delany's plan is to continue to water down the conference then just leave it at 14. Just thinking about the additions of Maryland, and Rutgers makes me a little sick to my stomach....

Tennessee doesn't fit the Academic profile of the Big Ten. Then there is a the fact that they are a struggling former power in a mediocre recruiting state. Right now they are 4th most powerful program in their own DIVISION not conference. They are also an original member of the SEC and will never leave their rivals Georgia,Florida and Alabama.

OU would be in the Big Ten already if not for Okie Lite, probably. I hesitate to say that is possible with what people have said about the OK politics and T Boone.

Adding UVA and KU would keep us from realigning divisions AGAIN and would bring in GREAT recruiting base in Virginia along with an old Nebraska friend to West that would feel like natural rivals with Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois.

UVA recruits better than almost every Big Ten team already so the potential is there.They are easy to hate with their elitist fanbase and the area brings the Big Ten influence in the South while keeping it a cohesive group. Kansas brings great bball, good tv market and natural rivalries like mentioned. UVA would also have natural rivalries in UMD and PSU(longtime foes)

If we can't get into Florida(FSU),Texas(UT) or Georgia(GIT) for recruiting then I think Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania,Maryland,Virginia, New Jersey along with some top players in m1ch1g@n and Indiana is a good recruiting base.

If your argument for expansion is to expand the recruiting base, then it is an argument to expand for expansion. It would be hard to bring in 2 schools from different conferences unless the GOR's would expire in the same year.

Conference realingment would consist of Indiana or Purdue moving to a different division. Don't think it will make much of a fuss.

We have enough half-full football stadiums in the B1G currently thanks to the Rutgers Maryland additions. I would only be in favor of KU if it brought OU.

I don't see any moves happening for a while. All things seem to have really cooled on this expansion deal.

The WWL has announced it is done writing checks for expansion. So it is down to if Fox wants to pay more for an expanded Bug10. I think they will pay more, but maybe not so much for two more slices of pie without eveyone taking less.

I think you would be right unless it were big name expansion. They are not going to back up Brinks trucks for Connecticut and some other Big American East reject.

Oh great texas has the opportunity to ruin another conference.

OU would be great, but allowing texass in would be the beginning of the end of the B1G as we know it today. it would not be for the better of the conference. OU won't come without texass, they would lose some of the recruiting in texass. That's why they claim texass is their rival, more for recruiting than play on the field. Texas would have to make to many concession to join the B1G and that's something the whorns can't do, they can't get over themselves. To much money from the oil industry.

• 4 months later...

I am sure population has something to do with it but it isn't as big of a factor as what they want to make it out to be.

Players are always going to want to go to big schools and play on big stages. And as long as B1G schools continue to have top grade facilities, kids from all over the country will play at those schools.

I'd love Texas, OU, FSU or GIT

but if 15 and 16 were KU and UVA that would be good enough for me.

Really? I'd be ok with Kansas, but if your last 4 additions to a conference are Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas, and Virgina then you failed....

OU has to be a target for the B1G. Even if the likelihood of them coming isn't high....Why not Tennessee? UVA, MD, RU, GT, BC doesn't do anything for me, or the B1G conference..... If Delany's plan is to continue to water down the conference then just leave it at 14. Just thinking about the additions of Maryland, and Rutgers makes me a little sick to my stomach....

Tennessee doesn't fit the Academic profile of the Big Ten. Then there is a the fact that they are a struggling former power in a mediocre recruiting state. Right now they are 4th most powerful program in their own DIVISION not conference. They are also an original member of the SEC and will never leave their rivals Georgia,Florida and Alabama.

OU would be in the Big Ten already if not for Okie Lite, probably. I hesitate to say that is possible with what people have said about the OK politics and T Boone.

Adding UVA and KU would keep us from realigning divisions AGAIN and would bring in GREAT recruiting base in Virginia along with an old Nebraska friend to West that would feel like natural rivals with Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois.

UVA recruits better than almost every Big Ten team already so the potential is there.They are easy to hate with their elitist fanbase and the area brings the Big Ten influence in the South while keeping it a cohesive group. Kansas brings great bball, good tv market and natural rivalries like mentioned. UVA would also have natural rivalries in UMD and PSU(longtime foes)

If we can't get into Florida(FSU),Texas(UT) or Georgia(GIT) for recruiting then I think Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania,Maryland,Virginia, New Jersey along with some top players in m1ch1g@n and Indiana is a good recruiting base.

It’s one of the most bizarre fan bases I’ve ever encountered, every single UVA fan I’ve ever met is unbearably arrogant, but what have they ever done to justify that attitude? It’s like if Illini fans started talking down to other B1G schools. V-Tech doesn’t quite fit the profile, but if access to Virginia is all the conference desires then I’d personally prefer them. Better football and better fans.

SEC is second most populous area - seems surprising given there's no major cities aside from Atlanta near SEC campuses. Wonder if they are counting Dallas metroplex, Austin, Miami Fl as SEC?

I think they just totaled up state populations, meaning major states like NY, PA, FL, TX, GA are double counted.

What's not being discussed is that this growth can't continue for states like Texass--eschewing the political issues, the state just does not have enough resources (namely, water) to continue supporting the influx of people. Unless Texass starts massive desalination projects in South Texas along the gulf (something that isn't likely considering how stressed the gulf ecosystem already is down there), people are going to move back upstream where the resources are. Other states (e.g. Arizona) are in a similar boat.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a slowdown in growth in the next few years, as well as a reversal of this trend in the next 10 or so. There's just not enough to go around as it is.

By the way, this is one of the articles that has come out about Texass' water woes and how this is likely (more than any other factor currently) to halt population growth and economic expansion to the state:

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/print-view/who-stole-the-water-20140623

People need to realize that between climate change and water rights becoming a big issue in the next 20-30 years, people living downstream in the South are really going to have problems--so much so that you'll see a migration of population back to the northern areas of the country.