Defend this

The offense has a lot of talent at the skill positions. For some reason or another, it seems to me that our offense has trouble keeping up when we allow a lot of points. I don't know why that is. In other words, we need to win the shootouts with our offense. In the Georgia game we seemed to be neck and neck against their offensive production for most of the game. A lot of good teams give up points, but their own offense outduels their opponent for the win. Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, because it can't just be on the defense. Not these days. Sort of seems like if the defense collapses, the offense struggles to match points. I just hope if we give up 35 or 45 or (gulp) even 55, the offense should be just as capable and talented enough to still win by 3. And I would be fine with that. So when I look at our skill players in this thread, and their experience, it makes me see how capable and able we are to outduel a team in a high scoring game if should come to that. Just hasn't been the case so far. Correct me if I'm wrong, and it's cool. But I think there should be a little more pressure on this offense to put it on their shoulders and score a ton this year, instead of examining a young and inexperienced defense as rule of our success/failures.

We appear capable of coming back when losing. Look at the heroics against OSU in 2011 and basically all of last seasons conference games. We seem incapable of coming back after getting kicked in the nuts. ie the roughing punter against Michicken in 2011, the hail Mary against USC, the TFL (safety) against UCLA, the fumble late against UGA, Braxton Miller's TD run last year etc.....

If we could learn to be tougher mentally, IMO, the skies the limit. Cut down the TO's and ruck up after the nut kick and this season has the potential to be our best under Bo. Back to my kool-aid...........

In the last two years, the most successful Nebraska has been with an empty formation has been less than 15 yds. If I recall it was mostly because Turner made something out of nothing.

Those plays are mainly designed to empty the box, but they have to be at least somewhat successful.

I find this very hard to believe.

Is there a way to look up stats by formation? I'll look it up if so

In the last two years, the most successful Nebraska has been with an empty formation has been less than 15 yds. If I recall it was mostly because Turner made something out of nothing.

Those plays are mainly designed to empty the box, but they have to be at least somewhat successful.

I find this very hard to believe.

Is there a way to look up stats by formation? I'll look it up if so

Wouldn't you have already had to do that to make that statement? Or did you hear/read that somewhere?

• Fire 1

It was more of a feel thing for me, but we're on a message board. I apologize if I made it seem like a fact than just an opinion based on feel.

If I knew a way to look this up (and I've tried) I would. I'm still researching. The feel that I have is that going empty on early downs have a small success rate in yards produced. Third and long situations, I've seen have more success as they have to shoot for the marker obviously.

Again, if I knew where to find yards gained by play call/formation, I'd verify that feeling.