Reestablishing our Edge

EZ-E

Hey fellas how's everything.

The thread about when blackshirts should be handed out and the buzz around our true freshmen really got me thinking the identity and our edge that our staff has created.

For example, we have come so far in terms of offensive development since '09. We have people predicting 50 points a game and to be honest, I don't think that is very far out there. We also now have a proven system and identity to recruit to. Osborne was able to do it with the option, we are currently doing it with Beck's offense.

Recruiting. What can we say? You have heard the buzz about some of these guys. This came from the staff putting in the work. I don't care how many stars were by any of these kids names, I wouldn't trade our 2011, 2012, or 2013 class for anyone else's in the conference. The staff has to work extremely hard and one of the ways they are doing it is in superior talent evaluation. You hear all the time about kids saying "NU started recruiting me when I was a sophomore." To get a kid like Kevin Maurice or to find a kid like Cethan Carter you have to be willing to turn over every rock and not worry about what the talking heads are going to say about it. Our staff has done a great job in utilizing their connections, evaluating talent, and going out and locking the ones we want down (save a few obviously).

I see those things as two huge edges we have over basically everybody in the conference and starting to get there in terms of the nation.

What ya think boys?

Can we play football yet????????? ;)

• Fire 1

I think Bo and Co is also reestablishing our edge in terms of building "swagger". Watching 2010 and 2009 defenses they had something about them where they thought at all times they were better then the guy across from them. I was worried going into this year that the young D would accept what people were saying (too young, growing pains, 40point per game), but it seems to be that the more and more buzz that the coaches/media build around these guys the more confidence they grow. That "edge" or "swagger" is a key part of a successful defense.....and I agree on the recruiting, we are finding the athletes for the system.

You guys get to see these kids, out here, I do not hear much about them or the team other than what is posted here. I am hoping that all you have to say is exactly true, but I have heard the same exact things year after year. I hear names that are to be stars, and hope it is correct. I am going to wait and see after the UCLA game as to whether we have arrived, turned the corner or developed swagger. If we continue to give up 500 plus yards a game, it really does not matter how good the offense is. The top teams in the nation will be hard to beat. We have an easier schedule supposedly. That may give the kids time to grow on the defensive side, but we are going to need them to develop to really be relevant nationally. Defense wins games.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that our coaching staff, from a talent evaluation standpoint, is as good as anyone in the country.... It seems that we are first to a lot of prospects, and that is encouraging as a fan, even if they do switch to Bama, Texas, etc.... It shows that our staff is capable of finding elite talent where others have overlooked, and if they keep doing that they will land their fair share of big time players. Nebraska is regaining that ole' swag, and Pelini and Co. are building a championship program. You can feel it in what you read, hear, and see.... As athletes, there is a difference between Meredith/Guy/etc. and Gregory/Valentine/McMullen/etc..... There is a difference between Compton/Whaley/etc. compared too Afalava/Love/Rose/Zaire....

---- Damon Benning alluded too it the other day on the radio, and I found it interesting.... He said something to the affect of the guys coming back this year were patting the seniors on the back with one hand after the Georgia game, and pushing them out the door with the other. Kind of a "Thanks, but see ya" thing....

I don't think it's a stretch to say that our coaching staff, from a talent evaluation standpoint, is as good as anyone in the country.... It seems that we are first to a lot of prospects, and that is encouraging as a fan, even if they do switch to Bama, Texas, etc.... It shows that our staff is capable of finding elite talent where others have overlooked, and if they keep doing that they will land their fair share of big time players. Nebraska is regaining that ole' swag, and Pelini and Co. are building a championship program. You can feel it in what you read, hear, and see.... As athletes, there is a difference between Meredith/Guy/etc. and Gregory/Valentine/McMullen/etc..... There is a difference between Compton/Whaley/etc. compared too Afalava/Love/Rose/Zaire....

I guess I just don't know what the hell we were thinking with a lot of guys in those first classes. Although I refuse to put some of our failures completely on those players shoulders. Still, the theory of "speed kills" has been learned the hard way by many teams and it wasn't just learned yesterday. It's almost as if this staff hadn't heard of that before with some of these guys they went after. Maybe we were a little over confident? Maybe we thought we could develop these skills? Trying to turn some guys into something they were not? I don't know, but whatever it was, you could clearly see some real examples of how poorly it worked. "Speed kills" coaches, it's proven, it's been studied. Time to learn from it and roll with it. I think we have started to "get it" with these last couple classes. This year will open our eyes a bit I think. The talent level is definitely there on offense, and the defense is very young, but the players are starting to fill into these spots now. Again, will Bo understand that with the youth of the team, the lack of experience, but the superior athleticism, if he would just keep them in a comfortable scheme we could really be good enough to win every game. Don't ask too much of the defense, just be good enough and let the offense do the rest. Get better as the year goes on, and give the defense a bit more throughout. Who knows? By the end of the season, we might have one hell of a team. It's if we try to throw it all on them all at once in the beginning, that's when things can unravel. Let these guys keep their confidence up and gain a bit of a comfort level out there first.

• Fire 1

if we cant turn the corner with this schedule then when can we?? our O has the tools to be special very special .the D , well who knows, they will be faster If any thing and hopefully the athleticism will over shadow the mistakes that will be made. special teams worries me, inconsistent on good day last year at best and now a new kicker/punter. with the exception of last year we have been in great shape when the field goal unit took the field. with our inexperienced D this could be what some of our games hinge on. ucla for sure

I guess I just don't know what the hell we were thinking with a lot of guys in those first classes. Although I refuse to put some of our failures completely on those players shoulders. Still, the theory of "speed kills" has been learned the hard way by many teams and it wasn't just learned yesterday. It's almost as if this staff hadn't heard of that before with some of these guys they went after. Maybe we were a little over confident? Maybe we thought we could develop these skills? Trying to turn some guys into something they were not? I don't know, but whatever it was, you could clearly see some real examples of how poorly it worked. "Speed kills" coaches, it's proven, it's been studied. Time to learn from it and roll with it. I think we have started to "get it" with these last couple classes. This year will open our eyes a bit I think. The talent level is definitely there on offense, and the defense is very young, but the players are starting to fill into these spots now. Again, will Bo understand that with the youth of the team, the lack of experience, but the superior athleticism, if he would just keep them in a comfortable scheme we could really be good enough to win every game. Don't ask too much of the defense, just be good enough and let the offense do the rest. Get better as the year goes on, and give the defense a bit more throughout. Who knows? By the end of the season, we might have one hell of a team. It's if we try to throw it all on them all at once in the beginning, that's when things can unravel. Let these guys keep their confidence up and gain a bit of a comfort level out there first.

Let's not forget that it took the Great Tom Osborne a number of years to come to this realization, especially on the defensive side of the ball....

I think it was probably a combination of things. One of them being that we weren't attractive to top talent for Bo's first two classes - I don't think that can be ignored. I also think the coaches knew that, but possibly overstated it a bit, and didn't go after some guys they might have had a chance with if they believed in it.

We really didn't have much of a choice the first few classes. It's not like we had 4 and 5 stars falling in our lap, and decided to take lesser talent. We took what we could get. Lets face it, no one really knew who Bo Pelini was. Took a few years to establish in roads and a reputation.

I think I read somewhere that in his first few classes Bo was "settling" for guys he knew he could get rather than getting after the type of guys he needed. Maybe he was blinded a bit by the talent he already had and was thinking "look what we did with Suh, Prince, etc. We dont need the big time talent". Then started to realize you do have to have the horses. That's when the real efforts began. And yes, him being a first time head coach and having that hot head rep didnt help either. Throw in a conference realignment and a complete discumbobulation of your entire defensive identity right into the middle of your program development, as well as what seemed like constant staff turnover and it's no wonder we've had the struggles we had. But now the facilities are in place. We're settled into the Big 10. The staff has some continuity. It seems to me that the most stressful days are behind us. Maybe we can finally just play football.

I was also discussing this with my wife yesterday. I know we'll never hear it. But it alludes to Rollin Rock's comment about what Damon Benning said. Watching film on the youngins from high school I saw guys that I thought were better as HS seniors than what we were putting on the field last year. Now for whatever reason, those guys were redshirted. Maybe Bo wanted to allow those guys who had stuck with it for 4-5 years to play it out. I dont know. It really is mind boggling to me. But I bet Bo knows better than anyone that most of those guys were just not very good players. My only thought is that Bo simply wrote off 2011 and 2012 for the sake of future development. I know that sounds stupid but hear me out. This year we have a large crop of true and redshirt freshman defensive players who are very talented. We have a veteran offense that will be all but unstoppable to help bring them along as well as a veteran secondary that can help clean up mistakes. Next year, we should have a rather experienced defense coming off what I think will be a strong finish to this season. I really believe we will see some big time progress this year. Next year, we'll have a very good defense to help bring along a new qb who will also have veteran receivers in Turner and Bell and hopefully veteran backs in Abdullah and Cross and etc. My theory? By 2015, that's when the fun begins. That's when we start to see the roster balance out and become very solid on both sides of the ball year in, year out. Now, if we can just get that big win or two between now and then, a conference championship or something, and I believe that the floodgates will open on the recruiting trail as well. We just seem to be in the hunt for a lot of top guys, just not enough sparkle to close the deal. Our program is right there. Right on the cusp of elite. i think these next five years are gonna be really fun.

• Fire 3

I think it was probably a combination of things. One of them being that we weren't attractive to top talent for Bo's first two classes - I don't think that can be ignored. I also think the coaches knew that, but possibly overstated it a bit, and didn't go after some guys they might have had a chance with if they believed in it.

Agree with Landlord - a lot of things probably went into it. Program was down, new head coach, new coordinators, most staff new. I think it's been said that we probably took some lower-level guys too soon. Either didn't set our sights high enough or wait to try to turn some heads. Possibly even recruiting got put to the side a little too much to try to get the product on the field back in shape.

If I didn't think our recruiting had already improved dramatically, I'd be worried. Whatever the problems were, they seem to be dramatically better if not totally fixed. I chalk it up to a learning experience where most everyone of Bo's coaches - including Bo himself - had more responsibility than they'd ever had before and it took some time to adjust to everything.