Reestablishing our Edge

EZ-E

Those players go to the SEC and play second and third team there. Just joking with you Redux. But they seem to have them to spare and come at you in waves. Maybe we have a hidden one here, will just have to wait and see.

You jest but there is a grain of truth to your comment. Unfortunately it has come down to A) Play for Nebraska in the Big Ten and be a legend and a starter. B) Go to the SEC and be a backup but hey you will likely still get a dozen rings. I wish we could re-establish that nasty mentality and edge on defense where kids would foam at the mouth at the thought of becoming a Blackshirt.

I think that is one of the problems. Not being negative, but being a black shirt does not mean what it did. For it to mean something it has to have qualifications, not just being the starter. Some called our starters Pink shirts recently.

It does sound like some are a little nasty this year. And people like EZE and Da Skers are buying into the hype. They are much closer to the program. I am still on the wait and see plan. To many times have been told this is the best defense we have had, only to look far less. We stop UCLA defensively this year, it will be a good indication of where we are on that side of the ball. They are loaded with talent according to Rivals and the other services.

I hope people don't judge the UCLA performance as an indicator as how the rest of the year will become. I'm of the opinion that this defense will get better as the season goes along.

I thought that about last year's defense. But that didn't happen really..

If we could just get a couple guys on defense with the sheer monster ability of Suh, and the mentality of the Peter brothers we could get our defense to rally around them and make the whole unit better.

If a defensive coordinator can pick one spot on his defense to be the strongest part, it would be DT. Pressure up the middle, especially with only a four man rush like Suh could create, is a defense maker. A DT like Suh makes everyone around him look better.

I know Suh was great, but often people don't realize how beneficial it was that Suh was a DT. He could have been the greatest LB, greatest Safety, Or greatest LB ever in the game, it would not have had the impact that it had on that entire unit. A lot of those guys that played behind him can thank Suh for their success.

This.

To be able to have a one man pass rush, three guys contain and seven in coverage is unbelievable.

Do you have any real idea of what it will be? Until they line up against equal talent with the same desire to win, you have no idea. Practice against your own team shows intensity of course, but normally the talent level is not the same. We want to win this game, UCLA wants to win this game. The cards are on the table. If we win and do a good job defensively, the defense will get better. If we lose due to the defense, it will be a mad scramble to overcome the problems. We may get better with a loss, but the learning, desire curve most likely would be less. Young kids bounce back quickly, but there is a lot of emotion for this game, revenge factor, proving they are better than those that played last year. The fans and the staff have put them in this position. Gaining respect is critical, failing to earn it is not good.

I hope people don't judge the UCLA performance as an indicator as how the rest of the year will become. I'm of the opinion that this defense will get better as the season goes along.

Baker going down doesn't help much.

Baker going down doesn't help much.

We may have still lost the CCG even with Baker, but it wouldn't have been nearly as embarrassing imo.

This year's defense, at least on paper, has more raw talent and potential. That said, I'm expecting medicority even as the season progresses. They'll have bright spots, but they'll also have consistency issues and get exposed by the better teams. Given the lack of depth and inexperience, though, I think that's to be expected.

This year's defense, at least on paper, has more raw talent and potential. That said, I'm expecting medicority even as the season progresses. They'll have bright spots, but they'll also have consistency issues and get exposed by the better teams. Given the lack of depth and inexperience, though, I think that's to be expected.

I'm expecting the defense this year to feel like our offense in 2010. Baring injuries there will be a lot of highs but equally as many growing pains.