Shatel's Article

I know i am jaded as f#*k about Nebraska football right now. Our program has been way to sh**ty for way too long, with WAY too many unrealized expectations and shattered dreams and the like.

I used to be the biggest optimist ever, but as of right now, sh#t, I'll believe a conference title... JUST A CONFERENCE f'ing TITLE...when I see it. Let alone a BCS bowl or national title hopes.

I still think Bo is a good coach and someone who can grow the program into a national power again, but it's so hard to be optimistic and trust only blind faith. There's a reason that I hate religion.

Anyone ever wonder if had we had the technology we have today if fans would've felt the same way about Coach Osborne? Couldn't win the 'big one', etc?

I also wonder what is worse: Being blown out by a team or losing by a few points? I suspect most people would say losing by a few points would be better but I think those kind of losses are more painful. Think about all the 'close ones' we've lost since Bo came here. That .01 Texas game is burned in my memory!

At the end of the day we're all Husker fans, otherwise we wouldn't be writing on this board. If we didn't love the Huskers like we do we wouldn't take the time to say anything about them good or bad.

It will be an interesting season. The offense should play well, the defense-a work in progress.

The Bob Father went 6 - 4 two consecutive seasons in 67 & 68 (when I started listening to game with my grandfather). I remember an outrage amongst Grandpa's buddies..."Send that cowboy back to Wyoming!" Never mind he'd had excellent seasons since arriving until 67. Osborne took how many years till he "won the big one"? - - -"Why does it take T.O. three hours to drive from Lincoln To Omaha? >>> He's afraid to pass!" "Why does T.O.'s wife serve his breakfast cereal in a cup? >>>> Because he chokes on a bowl"...Etc, etc, etc. Main difference is these danged old internets getting people all continually riled up. Used to be we'd have a bad loss, picking up the Sunday paper sucked..then by Wednesday everyone was all Big Red again.

As for me...I like it when the Huskers win...a lot. I hate it when they lose games they shouldn't.....a lot. I especially love it when we win a big game. I especially hate it when we lose a big game, or get beaten soundly. But those boys owe me zip. And I'll always be putting out the Husker flag and cheering for the boys in Red..no regrets..every week they play. And I'll be cheering for their coaches too. I don't get paid enough to worry about whether they are doing the right things or not.

Edit: As for sports writers, with the exception of distant cuz Mike B, I really could care less what they have to say. Starting a fuss is what they are supposed to do.

Go Big Red.....Forever.

• Fire 1

Yes, actually you have said that. Every time you mention a mistake a player may have made, its always the coaches fault for not preparing, motivating, recruiting or whatever. So, unless you change your previous story, it's not the players fault for anything because the coaches could/should have done something differently.

As I said, the players are held accountable to the coaches, and if the coaches don't/can't correct the mistakes, then there's a problem. Yes, it is the coach's responsibility to fix the problems. Do you think that Bill Callahan should have been fired in 2007?

Yes

Great, so how come? Wasn't it the player's fault? Even Callahan said his scheme was excellent.

Yes, actually you have said that. Every time you mention a mistake a player may have made, its always the coaches fault for not preparing, motivating, recruiting or whatever. So, unless you change your previous story, it's not the players fault for anything because the coaches could/should have done something differently.

As I said, the players are held accountable to the coaches, and if the coaches don't/can't correct the mistakes, then there's a problem. Yes, it is the coach's responsibility to fix the problems. Do you think that Bill Callahan should have been fired in 2007?

Yes

Great, so how come? Wasn't it the player's fault? Even Callahan said his scheme was excellent.

Kindly point out where I said the coaches are never at fault and it always only the players fault.

Yes

Kindly point out where I said the coaches are never at fault and it always only the players fault.

So why are you absolving Pelini of so much guilt for the blowout losses and placing it at the feet of the players? Who's in charge of the players?

So why are you absolving Pelini of so much guilt for the blowout losses and placing it at the feet of the players? Who's in charge of the players?

Kindly point out where I was absolving Pelini of so much guilt.

Yes

So no comment? Another straw man?

Starts here:

http://www.huskerboa...ost__p__1192930

So, as I keep asking and you but you'll never admit to, you think the coaches are 100% at fault for everything bad that happens and nothing is really the players fault because the coaches could have done something different to change it.

That's not what I've said. If you will read my quotes, you'll realize that. The buck stops with the head coach and he's ultimately responsible for everything that happens in the program he runs. If the players aren't smart enough to run his scheme, he should have recruited smarter players or simplified the scheme. If the players aren't fast enough to run the scheme, he should have recruited faster players or changed his scheme to mask that deficiency. Player breakdowns can and will happen. But if they don't get fixed, that's on the coaches. That's what I've said. Repeatedly.

Starts here:

So, as I keep asking and you but you'll never admit to, you think the coaches are 100% at fault for everything bad that happens and nothing is really the players fault because the coaches could have done something different to change it.

That's not what I've said. If you will read my quotes, you'll realize that. The buck stops with the head coach and he's ultimately responsible for everything that happens in the program he runs. If the players aren't smart enough to run his scheme, he should have recruited smarter players or simplified the scheme. If the players aren't fast enough to run the scheme, he should have recruited faster players or changed his scheme to mask that deficiency. Player breakdowns can and will happen. But if they don't get fixed, that's on the coaches. That's what I've said. Repeatedly.

So you'd agree with my post that you linked to that "to only blame the coaches is short-sighted". Glad we're on the same page.

Is there actual discussion still happening in this thread or are people just inserting the same sentences over and over again?

Is there actual discussion still happening in this thread or are people just inserting the same sentences over and over again?

• Fire 1

Blasphemy! I refuse to even read this! Osborne and McBride are Gods of Men. I will not have anyone say otherwise!

Seriously though, I do respect the heck out of both these men. Great men and great coaches. I couldn't imagine Nebraska football without either of them. It was before my time being that I was born in '81, I got to live through most of the good stuff, but you are probably right we would have ran them off.

Fact is, things have changed. No coach anywhere should expect to be given the sort of time coaches were given in the past. Not anywhere. So it's not just Nebraska. There is a win now mentality, there's too much money involved. Also, as Nebraska has shown, it doesn't take long to go from greatness, to not even hearing your named mentioned by national media. So whether it's right or wrong, Bo has to understand that he has got to get things fixed quickly. Not because I say so or anyone else says so. It just seems to be the way things are now unfortunately. For Bo's sake, I hope he does it. I think he's a good coach, he just chose a hell of a place to take his first HC gig. Nothing easy about it.

And how many places that have run off good coaches have had any better luck with the next guy?

Yep, Pelini has won a ton, bit no hardware to who for it. Always a a runner up. In the first five years he has amassed a win total that is in a historic level. But at the same time, how long will we as Nebraska fans accept losing every big game? And getting blown out a couple of times a year?

The numbers and history suggest Pelini will never get over the hump. Most every coach who will do it, does it within the first five years.

Division championships are something of substance, right?

Right?

Starts here:

Ah, college football in a vacuum.

Starts here:

The scheme made some players look a ton better than they were last year. Watch the games over and you'll be surprised at how players were in position but didnt make the play.