On 2/15/2019 at 4:31 PM, Moiraine said:

Like he said, Mike becomes a main character. I'd say about 40/60 or 45/55 Mike/Saul. And Saul isn't as wacky in Better Call Saul. You actually feel for him. I agree that you should try a couple more episodes. There are also lots of fun cameos as it goes along.

The episode in the courtroom between Jimmy and Chuck rivals any scene in BB; it's that damn good. 

And Skylar was a shrill for a lot of the show, but Anna Gunn got way too much grief and abuse for her portrayal of the character: https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/anna-gunn-details-extreme-sexism-during-breaking-bad/

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I really tried to sympathize with Skyler given everything that happens with Walt but I just kept coming back to, "Damn...she's the literal worst."

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Ha!  Yeah, she sucked...It was almost painful to watch her scenes but maybe that just means she did a great job acting them out.  I am guessing she was supposed to come off as "unlikeable" as the show went on to make Walt more likeable even though he was a bad guy.

Yup. She was clearly still in love with Walt when the story started, then her immediate reaction to him making $ for the family illegally was to up and f#&% her boss. Walt wasn’t lying to hurt her, so her reaction to it makes no sense.

I always thought they used Ted Benecke to make Skyler more likeable. He was so stupid with the IRS stuff that I started to like her.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

The episode in the courtroom between Jimmy and Chuck rivals any scene in BB; it's that damn good. 

And Skylar was a shrill for a lot of the show, but Anna Gunn got way too much grief and abuse for her portrayal of the character: https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/anna-gunn-details-extreme-sexism-during-breaking-bad/

Any abuse she got personally is obviously unacceptable, and maybe the depth of some people’s hatred was due to sexism, but hating her character doesn’t require one to be sexist.

Walt turned out to be a monster but he never did anything to purposely hurt her. What she should have done instead of f#&%ing her boss was turn Walt into the police. She went straight to wanting to betray him emotionally even though he hadn’t lied for the purpose of hurting her. That’s what made me dislike the character the most. 

On 2/14/2019 at 12:19 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  We tried watching because we liked BB so much.  We really couldn't get into it.

Yeah, I had a lot more trouble getting into BCS. I really liked the Saul character on BB and I feel BCS is written just as well and is just as dramatic as BB but I felt they dragged out the Chuck crap waaay too long. I realize that stuff goes towards how he becomes Saul and is necessary but they made it the focal point of the whole show. Would've been much better if they cut that down by about 50% and had more Saul being Saul.....and maybe a bit more action too. It really kind of drags at times. 

Maybe my hopes were up too high after BB :dunno But still BCS is a very solid show. I've got to get caught up. Not sure where it's at but I think I've only watched the first 2 seasons plus some of 3.

Another pet peeve, but I believe the writers are to blame.

When Jesse goes to Mexico the chemist thinks he's an amateur because he doesn't know how to make phenylacetic acid. Then the head cartel gunman asks the chemist how long it's going to take to make the Phenylacetic acid.

Snooty chemist in the snootiest way possible: "I don't know. I have no idea. Several hours at least."

Regardless of whether Jesse made it or the guys there made it, it was always going to take several hours. It taking several hours isn't Jesse's fault. They should have made it ahead of time if they're mad about it taking a long time.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:16 AM, The Dude said:

I never got the sense Skylar was supposed to be likeable.  And I've never heard anything negative about the acting performance.   Pretty much universally considered great as I recall.  Didn't she even win awards?

I thought Anna Gunn did an excellent job with her character. Not sure she could've acted the part any better. I thought the whole cast did extremely well. The problem I had with Skylar was due to writing and/or direction. I just didn't like her character. I think that was just the way they wanted her to be and really, if she had been more likeable, it may have negatively impacted the show. The sign of a good show imo are some characters that drive you nuts and that you hate. I kind of felt the same way about Sansa on GoT.

• Plus1 1

You're meant to sympathize with her as far as the traumatic turns of events roll in, (ie. Husband gets Cancer, Sister shop lifts, son has a life altering condition, she is pregnant during all this, Husband becomes meth kingpin etc.), but as an audience we are absolutely supposed to dislike her.  Walt is the main character and even though his decisions are awful, we still resonate with him.  That's why her reactions are over the top bitch mode and the way she reacts to things make her even more unlikable.  It's brilliant writing.