Do Husker Fans Handle Losing Well?

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I by no means think he was by himself going to make the play, but I feel he could have kept it closer to a 15 yarder if he were allowed to do his job.

Would have made PJ Smith's job easier.

Yeah, 1st and 25 is a totally different scenario than 1st and goal

For those of us that take losses really hard, you're putting way too much expectation on 17-22 year old kids. That's the bigger picture here.

We all love the brand, the tradition, the stadium, the what-have-you, but in a normal circumstance would you trust kids that age with getting your coffee order right 100% of the time?

18-22 year old men and women (not kids) make up a decent percentage of our military. I don't think our expectations for the Huskers are any higher than our expectations for them. Let's not act like these sophomores/juniors/seniors are too young to be trusted, or too young to have expectations placed upon them. If they are too young (immature) then that's on the staff.

Amateur athletics is very, very different than war.

The idea is the same--both groups of people are of the same age; they are (or should be) on the same level of maturity. I'll try to parallel and support what kchusker_chris (really, this has to be a first) is saying:

A good majority of the people in the military are the same age as I am. They have the responsibility to protect our country, and with that comes a whole slew of expectations; some directly related to their effectiveness in their ability to defend our country, some indirectly related to the same thing. Student athletes for a major athletic program, be it Nebraska football or Kansas basketball, have the responsibility to win games. That too brings with it a lot of expectations and again some are directly related to their effectiveness in winning games, some are indirectly related to the same thing.

Both of these decisions share a couple of things in common. They all have a requirement to fulfill some expectations. More importantly, the people choosing to do be active in these roles did so knowing full well the expectations that would be placed on their shoulders. People my age go into the military knowing full well what is going to be expected of them. Student athletes become student athletes knowing full well what is going to be expected of them. Pretending like they don't is just plain wrong.

You could argue that student athletes need to meet the expectations of a lot of people, most of whom are passionate about their fandom. That that passionate attitude by the fans ramps the pressure up on the student athletes. I agree with that 100%. Nobody is saying it is easy to be a student athlete, that it is easy to live up to expectations of a lot of people. That is not the point. The point is that the student athletes know full well the expectations that are placed on them when they enter the high profile program. While it doesn't make it okay to verbally lambast them when things go wrong, it does make the "they are just kids" excuse seem kind of silly. Criticism is good; if you're not criticized either by yourself of by others, how can you improve? But criticism can be a bad thing, it if is absolutely unreasonable.

So in the end I think sometimes we react too quickly, too hot-headedly when things don't go how we expect them to go. I also think that sometimes we have too high of expectations for the program. Not that too high of expectations is a bad thing; after all, how can you achieve the best if you don't expect the best? But, with a passionate group of people, having too high of expectations for the program can lead to overly critical reactions when things don't go the best.

I by no means think he was by himself going to make the play, but I feel he could have kept it closer to a 15 yarder if he were allowed to do his job.

Would have made PJ Smith's job easier.

Yeah, 1st and 25 is a totally different scenario than 1st and goal

I went to Shame Town after that game. Belligerent doesn't even begin to describe my actions.

For those of us that take losses really hard, you're putting way too much expectation on 17-22 year old kids. That's the bigger picture here.

We all love the brand, the tradition, the stadium, the what-have-you, but in a normal circumstance would you trust kids that age with getting your coffee order right 100% of the time?

18-22 year old men and women (not kids) make up a decent percentage of our military. I don't think our expectations for the Huskers are any higher than our expectations for them. Let's not act like these sophomores/juniors/seniors are too young to be trusted, or too young to have expectations placed upon them. If they are too young (immature) then that's on the staff.

O................................................................... M ......................................................................... G .............................................. :wtf:facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: (btw: that is directed at both of you...)