2013 NFL Discussion Thread

Mavric

I find the new Tampa unis tacky. The font is a really odd choice, and the overall style just makes it look like an XFL thing or a one-off Nike experiment for a college team, not a major NFL team's standard kit.

And I like most new uniform changes. Seahawks, Chargers, Dolphins, and Bills have all gotten really sharp, for example.

Re: the n-word ban, I love the league's embracing of social responsibility for the most part, but I'm against any sort of legislation of language.

• 2 weeks later...

NFL proposes rule changes, including longer extra points, higher goalposts

Here is the list of the 13 proposed changes:

1. Move kickoffs to the 40-yard line, from the 35, where it is now.

2. Making all personal fouls reviewable.

3. Eliminating overtime in preseason games.

4. Extending the goalposts vertically by 5 feet on each side.

5. Moving extra-point attempts to the 25-yard line, making it a 43-yard try. (This was proposed by the Patriots.) The competition committee separately is proposing one preseason game this season where extra-point snaps will take place from the 20.

6. Adding six cameras to all boundary lines on the field to supplement TV camera angles.

7. Allowing any officials' decisions to be challenged by coaches, not just specific kinds of plays.

8. Protecting players from getting their legs rolled up on from the side — and not just from the back — as a penalty.

9. Allowing the referee to confer with members of the NFL officiating department in New York at the league office during replay reviews.

10. Changing review rules on the recovery of a loose ball — aka, the "NaVorro Bowman rule" from the controversial NFC championship game non-call — in the field of play. This would including reorganizing the replay section of the NFL rulebook. (Which, frankly, needs it.)

11. Keeping the clock running on quarterback sacks at all times of the game.

12. Changing pass interference so that it can be called within a yard of the line of scrimmage.

13. Enforcing defensive penalties behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, instead of from the end of the play or from the spot of the foul.

No dunking over the goal post? f'ing stupid. Worry about things that matter for Gods sake.

Any other Broncos fan want to explain to me why Montee Ball has been moved to the top of the depth chart at RB and Denver is reluctant as ever to sign Knowshon Moreno to another deal? I'm sorry, I know we used a 2nd round pick on Montee, and eventually he probably should be the guy, but he's done nothing as of yet to show me he's ready to be the number one back. Moreno should be resigned and remain number one until Ball earns the spot.

A Breakdown Of The NFL's New Rules, And The Ones That Didn't Pass

Proposals passed:

• Officials can now use replay review to rule on loose ball recoveries—the so-called "NaVorro Bowman" rule, so dubbed after the 49ers were unable to challenge an obvious Niners fumble recovery in the NFC Championship that the refs awarded to the Seahawks.
  • The goalpost uprights will be extended five feet higher, to reduce the instances of a kick sailing above the upright and leaving it to the officials' judgment.
  • The game clock will no longer stop when a quarterback is sacked.
  • "Roll up blocks," where a blocker hits the side of the knee of a player, are banned.
  • Officials will now be able to speak wirelessly with each other, and with the central replay office.
  • While not a new rule, the existing rule forbidding the use of the ball as a prop during TD celebrations will be extended to ban dunking the ball over the crossbar.

Proposals tabled for further review:

• Though a proposal to move the line of scrimmage on PATs to the 25 was officially tabled, there will be a change. For the first two weeks of the preseason, extra point tries will be snapped from the 20, making it roughly a 38-yard kick. (Historical data says to expect a success rate in the high 80s.) The league will monitor the results, and presumably vote on changing the rule at next year's meetings.
  • A proposal to do away with overtime in preseason games and let them end in ties.
  • A proposal to add six boundary-line cameras at every game to make replay reviews more conclusive. (This was the one where Bill Belichick joked that the NFL needs to hold a bake sale if they can't afford the cameras.)

Proposals voted down:

• Owners voted against moving the kickoff from the 35-yard-line to the 40.
  • Owners voted against a proposal that would have made every play challengeable by coaches.
  • Owners voted against allowing officials to use replay to review personal foul penalty calls.