Nathan Gerry

Speed kills. End of story. We wanted speed and now we get it folks are worried. I remember when we came into the league Bo made a comment somewhere along the lines of making teams change our style. I like speed. The slow plodding crap at LB we have had the pas 2 years save David has got to go. Our front four does their job, weight at LB matters even less. Now their OL gets free shots on our LB's.................

Bo (or other staffer) also made a comment earlier about bringing the guys along and allowing them to make plays instead of thinking so much. I think after last year, Bo realizes the importance of speed and athleticism. He is really trying to get our best 11 on the field on O, D and ST. It is going to be a good year. Something about the practices (to date), the lack of "traditional" coach speak and perceived depth and players confidence is just different this year.

Speed is nice, but if that and athleticism is all they have, we will get exploited in other spots. These guys have to have football smarts, along with the athleticism and speed to get on the field. Bo just released a presser and just said speed isn't everything. I agree with you, its going to be a good year. I just hope we have two players who can step up at DT and give us that push up front we have needed since '10.

The Huskers won't see a non-spread team that is worth a damn until the last four games of the season. I'd rather have Gerry until it shows that we need more beef on the field.

I believe he came in at 6-2 220 under 7% BF

That would be a HIPPO violation.

Reported.

bad news, guy. reporting a hippo violation is, in and of itself, a hippo violation because you have to relay the confidential medical information.

He got you good you fu&*#r

All I could think of..

original.jpg

Just throwing out some numbers that may be of interest when compared to each other,

In high school, Ameer Abdullah ran the 100m dash in 11.34, 11.32, 11.22, 11.19, and 11.15 seconds

In high school, Kenny Bell ran the 100m dash in 11.26, 11.04, 10.99, and 10.82 seconds

In high school, Nate Gerry ran the 100m in dash in 11.09, 10.88, 10.69, and 10.67 seconds

At the Oregon Twilight Meet De'Anthony Thomas ran the 100m dash in 10.65 seconds

Though we all know football speed can vary widely from track speed. Simply food (Or Koolaid?) for thought.

All times from Athletic.net and Milespit.com

Just throwing out some numbers that may be of interest when compared to each other,

In high school, Ameer Abdullah ran the 100m dash in 11.34, 11.32, 11.22, 11.19, and 11.15 seconds

In high school, Kenny Bell ran the 100m dash in 11.26, 11.04, 10.99, and 10.82 seconds

In high school, Nate Gerry ran the 100m in dash in 11.09, 10.88, 10.69, and 10.67 seconds

At the Oregon Twilight Meet De'Anthony Thomas ran the 100m dash in 10.65 seconds

Though we all know football speed can vary widely from track speed. Simply food (Or Koolaid?) for thought.

AND......AND.......!Nathan is from South Dakota so he ran in a foot of snow uphill! Just sayin!

IMO, if we have this kind of speed at LB those Wisconsin jet sweeps go for no gain instead of 40 yards.

IMO, if we have this kind of speed at LB those Wisconsin jet sweeps go for no gain instead of 40 yards.

Having speed is great, but, the tackle has to be made. There were players in position to make the tackle for no gain or a short game during the CCG and whiffed.

• Fire 1

Having speed is great, but, the tackle has to be made. There were players in position to make the tackle for no gain or a short game during the CCG and whiffed.

That's not what I saw. I re-watched the game (boy, that was painful), and it looked like the NU LBs had an angle but Gordon toasted them over and over. Good defense is not about having a single player in position to make a tackle. Elite backs and receivers can make good players miss. Good defense is about multiple players swarming to the ball, and inflicting pain and suffering on opposing ball carriers.

I may get bashed for this, but I think he is small for a LB in the B1G. I understand that they said the same thing about David, but David had a knowledge of the game you can't teach. He always found his way to the ball. I am not saying that Gerry can't or doesn't have that, but we have yet to see that in the collegiate level. If he gains some weight, I would agree with him playing at LB, but 210lbs isn't going to cut it, unless he has the intangibles that David had. Williams played in the Big 12, where offensive lines weren't as big, and speed become more favorable over there. I am not taking anything away from him, but it would be interesting to see if he could do what David did.

In the B1G the largest OLine is Wisconsin's where a great deal of them are around 320 lbs. The largest average OLine in the Big XII is OU where they average around 310 lbs. KU actually has a man-child at OT who weights 340 lbs, but most every line in the Big XII is comparable to the lines we face in the B1G.

L.David's ability was questioned in the Big XII since he stepped in due to injuries. And even after a monster year, he was questioned again our first year in the B1G and still flourished being the only Pre-season All American to stay healthy the entire season for us. Nathan Gerry is solid and he's faster than L.David. The instinct factor may set them apart as L.David handled his business and we have yet to see Nate play at this level. But we also can't ignore that Nate will also have better athletes around him as he is growing into his position.

In other words, I think he will be alright.