Nathan Gerry

Just throwing out some numbers that may be of interest when compared to each other,

In high school, Ameer Abdullah ran the 100m dash in 11.34, 11.32, 11.22, 11.19, and 11.15 seconds

In high school, Kenny Bell ran the 100m dash in 11.26, 11.04, 10.99, and 10.82 seconds

In high school, Nate Gerry ran the 100m in dash in 11.09, 10.88, 10.69, and 10.67 seconds

At the Oregon Twilight Meet De'Anthony Thomas ran the 100m dash in 10.65 seconds

Though we all know football speed can vary widely from track speed. Simply food (Or Koolaid?) for thought.

All times from Athletic.net and Milespit.com

IMO, if we have this kind of speed at LB those Wisconsin jet sweeps go for no gain instead of 40 yards.

Having speed is great, but, the tackle has to be made. There were players in position to make the tackle for no gain or a short game during the CCG and whiffed.

That's not what I saw. I re-watched the game (boy, that was painful), and it looked like the NU LBs had an angle but Gordon toasted them over and over. Good defense is not about having a single player in position to make a tackle. Elite backs and receivers can make good players miss. Good defense is about multiple players swarming to the ball, and inflicting pain and suffering on opposing ball carriers.

Just watch the first drive, 2 missed tackles on one play result in a touchdown. Now, they're plays were yes, they get out ran to the sideline. But, they're also plays were we have a guy in position to stop Ball/Gordon/White and they can't make the tackle.

Just throwing out some numbers that may be of interest when compared to each other,

In high school, Ameer Abdullah ran the 100m dash in 11.34, 11.32, 11.22, 11.19, and 11.15 seconds

In high school, Kenny Bell ran the 100m dash in 11.26, 11.04, 10.99, and 10.82 seconds

In high school, Nate Gerry ran the 100m in dash in 11.09, 10.88, 10.69, and 10.67 seconds

At the Oregon Twilight Meet De'Anthony Thomas ran the 100m dash in 10.65 seconds

Though we all know football speed can vary widely from track speed. Simply food (Or Koolaid?) for thought.

IMO, if we have this kind of speed at LB those Wisconsin jet sweeps go for no gain instead of 40 yards.

Having speed is great, but, the tackle has to be made. There were players in position to make the tackle for no gain or a short game during the CCG and whiffed.

That's not what I saw. I re-watched the game (boy, that was painful), and it looked like the NU LBs had an angle but Gordon toasted them over and over. Good defense is not about having a single player in position to make a tackle. Elite backs and receivers can make good players miss. Good defense is about multiple players swarming to the ball, and inflicting pain and suffering on opposing ball carriers.

Just watch the first drive, 2 missed tackles on one play result in a touchdown. Now, they're plays were yes, they get out ran to the sideline. But, they're also plays were we have a guy in position to stop Ball/Gordon/White and they can't make the tackle.

I got so upset at a friend of mine over this argument that I have screen shots of plays where our safeties are laying on the ground after they missed tackles at the LOS.

I got so upset at a friend of mine over this argument that I have screen shots of plays where our safeties are laying on the ground after they missed tackles at the LOS.

You said in a thread awhile back the lack of speed is the top, if not the only, reason for our defenses struggles a year ago. You didnt use those exact words, but it was something of the sort. That plays that shouldve only been 2-3 yard gains were turning into 7-8 yarders, simply becuase certain guys were just that 1 or 2 steps behind. Ever since then, I've spent a lot of time rewatching the games myself, and I have to concur. The scheme worked. Guys were put in position. The only exemption might be the first half agaisnt Wisconsin and Penn st, where in both instances, it was said on the radio by players after the game that they had an issue with armbands playlists not matching what Papuchis had. And quite frankly, as something I've said over and over, I jsut dont know what else the coaches can do x's and o's wise in that Wisconsin II game to produce a better outcome. The guys were there.

I may get bashed for this, but I think he is small for a LB in the B1G. I understand that they said the same thing about David, but David had a knowledge of the game you can't teach. He always found his way to the ball. I am not saying that Gerry can't or doesn't have that, but we have yet to see that in the collegiate level. If he gains some weight, I would agree with him playing at LB, but 210lbs isn't going to cut it, unless he has the intangibles that David had. Williams played in the Big 12, where offensive lines weren't as big, and speed become more favorable over there. I am not taking anything away from him, but it would be interesting to see if he could do what David did.

In the B1G the largest OLine is Wisconsin's where a great deal of them are around 320 lbs. The largest average OLine in the Big XII is OU where they average around 310 lbs. KU actually has a man-child at OT who weights 340 lbs, but most every line in the Big XII is comparable to the lines we face in the B1G.

L.David's ability was questioned in the Big XII since he stepped in due to injuries. And even after a monster year, he was questioned again our first year in the B1G and still flourished being the only Pre-season All American to stay healthy the entire season for us. Nathan Gerry is solid and he's faster than L.David. The instinct factor may set them apart as L.David handled his business and we have yet to see Nate play at this level. But we also can't ignore that Nate will also have better athletes around him as he is growing into his position.

In other words, I think he will be alright.

I never stated he wouldn't, but I don't think we should be putting the cart in front of the horse. I also don't think we need anymore help at the 'backer position where we have depth, and talented depth at that. I think he should be a Safety. We have the most questions and concerns there. Basically same thing EZ-E stated. This is what he played in high school, and he should be able to adapt pretty well. If he can't understand the duties of being Safety in Bo's system, then DB would be my next choice. We have depth, but we don't know who are quality players after we lose players this year. IF he is as great as the staff says, I don't know why he just doesn't play right behind Ciante. That's where we are going to need someone to step up big time at next year.

OMG...I could only stand watching that first play before I had to shut it off. I'm praying we don't see anything like that ever again.

More speed most of the time means better athletes. Better athletes with more speed makes it easier to make those plays. For instance, on that first play, the easiest place to make that play is at the LOS. IF we have speed, we aren't beat to the outside as easily and we have a better chance at making the play or stringing it to the sidelines. Once that guy turns the corner, the play is MUCH harder to make. Faster DEs and LBs make it easier to make that play. Supposedly, we have that this year.

You are not going to win many games when every one-on-one missed tackle goes for 40+ yards. Speed allows multiple players to be in position to make a play. Speed allows you hit the ball carrier at top speed knowing that if you get juked your teammate is there.

You know a lot of offenses are based around getting speedy players in one-on-one situations in space, right? Missing a tackle for a loss of 1 yard results in a gain of 5 or more, typically. If we fix just fix our tackling we probably slow them somewhat. Still get hosed.

Guarantee next year, that barge play gets blown up if he even thinks about taking it outside.