What we learned today...

walksalone

Didn't learn much from this game. Went a little worse than expected, but not much worse. Knew Wyoming would get YARDS passing. Rushing, surprised me, as I'm sure it surprised Bo and Pap. Adjusted well at half time. D-Line is young, I'm sure they learned a lot more than they would've in practice this game. Wyoming's game plan is essentially what Wisconsins gameplan was. Motion, run/pass balance. They had a great game plan. Still don't think Josh Mitchell is worthy of starting, but meh.

*This defense is already better than last years defense and most of them are freshman or sophomores. Always knew the first two weeks would be a learning experience for these guys.

*Newby needs to be on the field more. He is going to be a great one.

*The defensive play calling needs to be more diverse. I know they've been working with "odd" blitzes, but I don't think they showed any of them today.

*Need to get more emotionally involved offensively and defensively. I think we came out way too emotional and involved, and then we toned it down completely and played with hardly any emotion

*Taylor still forces stuff.

IMO it was much worse. We were a 28 point favorite. I did not expect to give up 600 yards. I expected less than 350. This game was a disaster.

What were you expecting from a defense that features 13 freshman/sophomores in the 2 deep? Some dominant performance from them? Most of them its their first time in a college football game. The expectations are unreasonable. The jump this D will make between now and B1G play is going to be tenfold of whatever jump we've seen in previous years - because those guys, in previous years, for the most part already had game experience and knew the system in and out. These guys don't. They're learning and adjusting to the speed still. That alone is a lot.

We weren't expect 2012+...it's pretty simple.

Already better than that defense. Also, once again, 13 freshman or sophomores in the 2 deep - with a VERY good QB on the other side, who (for the most part) most people thought would put over 20 points up on us. Do you think this defense is even CLOSE to being what it will be in B1G play? It is pretty unintelligent to think so, considering: first game for most of them, they are still learning the defense, and adjusting to the speed of the game.

I understand what your saying, but I don't agree with you. The defense doesn't work and it's not going to. If you have to have 'Hall of Fame' linemen and 3 NFL DB/Safeties it is not a sustainable scheme.

I don't want to overlook how young the defense is, but I don't believe that is the even close to the biggest issue.

Didn't learn much from this game. Went a little worse than expected, but not much worse. Knew Wyoming would get YARDS passing. Rushing, surprised me, as I'm sure it surprised Bo and Pap. Adjusted well at half time. D-Line is young, I'm sure they learned a lot more than they would've in practice this game. Wyoming's game plan is essentially what Wisconsins gameplan was. Motion, run/pass balance. They had a great game plan. Still don't think Josh Mitchell is worthy of starting, but meh.

*This defense is already better than last years defense and most of them are freshman or sophomores. Always knew the first two weeks would be a learning experience for these guys.

*The defensive play calling needs to be more diverse. I know they've been working with "odd" blitzes, but I don't think they showed any of them today.

*Need to get more emotionally involved offensively and defensively. I think we came out way too emotional and involved, and then we toned it down completely and played with hardly any emotion

IMO it was much worse. We were a 28 point favorite. I did not expect to give up 600 yards. I expected less than 350. This game was a disaster.

What were you expecting from a defense that features 13 freshman/sophomores in the 2 deep? Some dominant performance from them? Most of them its their first time in a college football game. The expectations are unreasonable. The jump this D will make between now and B1G play is going to be tenfold of whatever jump we've seen in previous years - because those guys, in previous years, for the most part already had game experience and knew the system in and out. These guys don't. They're learning and adjusting to the speed still. That alone is a lot.

Already better than that defense. Also, once again, 13 freshman or sophomores in the 2 deep - with a VERY good QB on the other side, who (for the most part) most people thought would put over 20 points up on us. Do you think this defense is even CLOSE to being what it will be in B1G play? It is pretty unintelligent to think so, considering: first game for most of them, they are still learning the defense, and adjusting to the speed of the game.

EDIT - Thats not to say that this defense will be "great", just that they are already better than last year and they have significantly more potential due to the youth and inexperience and improved athleticism. I'd be pretty surprised if Gerry did that poorly again - and ZA and Afalava were missing.

I hope you're right. It's my only hope that they are young but will make huge progress in the next couple games where we have a chance to win against UCLA.

Give us a break with our guys were being held garbage. You sunshine pumpers never want to admit this team is seriously flawed. Our D-Line was manhandled the entire game and the secondary looked average at best. The offense is not expanding under Tmart and he is making mistakes you would expect from a freshmen. Underperforming is now the new norm under the Bo regime and it is sickening watching the brainless masses slobber over Bo like he walks on water. Today was the beginning of the end as far as I'm concern and we should start our search for a new head coach tonite.

• Fire 1

I was expecting a much better defensive performance against a bad team. A MWC team that only won 4 games last year. A team that averaged less than 400 yards of offense last year. A team that only scored more than 30 points 3 times last year. I was expecting a win by 28 points and lots of time for the backups. What we got was a nail biter against a weak team from a lower tier conference. This is unacceptable.

Give us a break with our guys were being held garbage. You sunshine pumpers never want to admit this team is seriously flawed. Our D-Line was manhandled the entire game and the secondary looked average at best. The offense is not expanding under Tmart and he is making mistakes you would expect from a freshmen. Underperforming is now the new norm under the Bo regime and it is sickening watching the brainless masses slober over Bo like he walks on water. Today was the beginning of the end as far as I'm concern and we should start over search for a new head coach tonite.

Yeah well you can't spell. So there's that.

Not sure I agree with this...care to explain?

They pretty much took every little detail that we've struggled with over the last two years and put it into the same game plan. I'm absolutely stunned they didn't run a fake punt out of the rugby punt style. Given they don't have the athletes Wisconsin had, we did a much better job with our angles and tackled better (for the most part - still got burnt a couple times.) and we our speed somewhat showed. Players were still a little hesitant, but thats to be expected from their first game, especially with such youth and inexperience. Also, Randy Gregory hasn't played a football game in what, a year? Our defense also got a pretty decent push. I beg you to rewatch Vincent Valentine and Randy Gregory in the first half again. They were getting held left and right - and it was OBVIOUS. I was watching with my Oregon buddies and they thought the referring was pretty atrocious - and they all want Nebby to lose, out of spite, but yeah.

I gushed about big VV in the game thread throughout the game. He and Gregory showed me some good things. But if Wyoming can figure out our weaknesses and execute it to the point of about beating us why won't other teams. Fitz/Borg/Mora have WAY better athletes, the gameplan for beating Bo has been shown. I know people will say Bo and the kids will adjust, but i've been buying that for a couple years now. Not really sure about getting my hopes up again. VV, SJB, Evans, and RG44 showed me flashes....Gerry sometimes too. I'm trying not to be negative, but really not sure what positives to take. Next week will be HUGE to see how guys respond. I hope they learned and we get better! GBR!

1) As a team, we aren't as good as we were last year.

2) The defense is worse than I expected. I expected a step back...but it's going to be a loooooong season.

3) Defensive line isn't good.

4) Wide receivers are ridiculous.

5) ^^so are the running backs.

6) SJB is a baller.

7) The writing is on the wall for Bo. This isn't the year...and if not this year, when? The 2014 off season is the time to find a new direction.

I learned that you can "Rough the Passer" when the QB doesn't throw the ball. I was beside myself.

I'm not a big fan of that call either, but he did wrap his arm around his neck to take him down.

Call it unnecessary roughness or something then. I have never once in my life seen that penalty called when the QB had the ball in his hand.

And I understand the outcome would be the same, but it is the principal of the matter.

EDIT - Thats not to say that this defense will be "great", just that they are already better than last year and they have significantly more potential due to the youth and inexperience and improved athleticism. I'd be pretty surprised if Gerry did that poorly again - and ZA and Afalava were missing.

I wish I shared you confidence, I know this defense will improve but after having only one game so far to compare to last years d and how bad they played I just cant say with confidence this years defense will be better than last year. but hey this defense has now where to go but up