What we learned today...

walksalone

Auburn gave up roughly 430 yards to Wazzu.

A&M had a bunch of defensive suspensions and gave up 500 yards to Rice. That game was close until JFF came in.

Spread offenses can put up huge points. Nebraska's does. It did it to an incredibly stout defense in Michigan St.

Did Narduzzi all of a sudden forget how to coach because Nebraska torched them?

Again Dude. I am not saying the perfect performance was turned in by 13 freshman that were seeing their first ever college game and I am not saying we are ready to play UCLA. I am simply making clear that this game is not all doom and gloom and there are a lot of positives to take as well as negitives.

We have a long ways to go and anyone saying we don't is wrong. However, this game was not as bad as this board is trying to make it seem. Had we beaten this team 45-21 which wouldn't have been too far off from how it would have been had we decided to show up the last 6 minutes, do people have as big a sh#t stain on their pants as they do? No.

The biggest concerns for me still remain the LBs and the focus. If you can honestly sit there with a straight face having watched the game more than once and tell me that we aren't better on the DL and deeper than you are wrong. If you can honestly say that the potential isn't there to be good on that side of the ball then you are wrong.

Lets have this discussion after UCLA. There is no sense in talking about this game anymore. This place is going to be the biggest sh#t storm in the world this week. The worst part is that there is literally no outcome this next Saturday that the boys can turn in that will satisfy this fan base.

This is why a lot of us are still upset. Not the close win. Say we don't allow them back into the game. Still sloppy. Not seeing the clean play that we need to be consistent. We have better athletes on defense. Great. So now our defense can mirror our offense and be really good or really bad depending on their ability to keep their focus. So we'll still drop a game we shouldn't and jump up and upset a team but the rest of the season will be simply above average (especially with this schedule).

I really want to be excited about this season. Been burned too many times by the blowout loss on the grand stage. Saturday was our "WTF game" for the year...except we still have to play northwestern... 600 yards of offense given up to a low level MWC school is never acceptable...I don't care if the 4th stringers played the whole 4th quarter. This was a poor defensive effort again and it still seems to be the same issue we've seen for years with different players. Focus...or lack of...

All that said...my hope is that Bo has learned enough about the recruiting game to keep the lines stocked and is willing to adapt his style of play to keep up. But above all...fix the A.D.D. his players seem to constantly have.

• Fire 1
Terrell Newby looked like the best player on the team, not sure if that's a positive, but I'm serious about that.
Newby looked good, he just didn't look fast. At least not Ameer fast.

No, Newby is fast, faster than Ameer. He has track speed, plus has completely natural, great moves and some power. He's the real deal.

At no point did i see Newby running faster than Ameer. I did not say Newby wasn't fast. Maybe its just that Newby doesn't have that initial burst of speed that Ameer does when he gets the ball.

I see Newby as a dodger, Ameer as an all-around back who can run inside and out with power or finesse, and Cross as a Makovicka type crazy bull.

What? I saw Newby take the first hit and his legs kept going. After contact on almost every play he fell forward or got the extra yard.

And for all the complaints of the Oline, we were 40 or so yards from 4 guys rushing for over a hundred yards. Just not sure on that one.

Too bad they couldnt get the push for that 1/2 yd in the 4th, when we most needed it. Dang! Naw, they did a respectable job, but we're talking Wyo here, the team that was near last last year in rush D.

Watch the game. We had the first down, but for some reason the forward progress was never called and the ball was allowed to be stripped out. The call was a fumble recovery, not a to on downs.

I'm tellin yall, it's not as bad as it seems. Up 31-14 and 37-21 and shoulda made it 44-21 with only half a quarter left, and then just packed it in. This is obvious. A legit concern, but obvious. The Int was a game changer that gave them hope and we couldnt wake back up

I agree with this. As an offensive leader and fourth year starter, Martinez must stop turning the ball over.

We'll never know for sure, but I'll bet money that that was a complete miscommunication on the part of Burtch (I believe it was him over there) who ran an in instead of an out. It was a quick read and Taylor threw it without hardley looking. Yeah, it appeared as if he threw it right to the defender, but there was obviously supposed to be a receiver there.

I'm tellin yall, it's not as bad as it seems. Up 31-14 and 37-21 and shoulda made it 44-21 with only half a quarter left, and then just packed it in. This is obvious. A legit concern, but obvious. The Int was a game changer that gave them hope and we couldnt wake back up

I agree with this. As an offensive leader and fourth year starter, Martinez must stop turning the ball over.

We'll never know for sure, but I'll bet money that that was a complete miscommunication on the part of Burtch (I believe it was him over there) who ran an in instead of an out. It was a quick read and Taylor threw it without hardley looking. Yeah, it appeared as if he threw it right to the defender, but there was obviously supposed to be a receiver there.

Yes and I read I believe in the OWH that Burtch was the receiver and didn't even look for the ball. The only complaint I had on T-Mart was his read were not where he left off last year. he made some really bad reads at the beginning of this game and they stung real bad.

And for all the complaints of the Oline, we were 40 or so yards from 4 guys rushing for over a hundred yards. Just not sure on that one.

Too bad they couldnt get the push for that 1/2 yd in the 4th, when we most needed it. Dang! Naw, they did a respectable job, but we're talking Wyo here, the team that was near last last year in rush D.

Watch the game. We had the first down, but for some reason the forward progress was never called and the ball was allowed to be stripped out. The call was a fumble recovery, not a to on downs.

Oh, so that was the fumble, I couldn't figure out where the fumble was in the game. I dunno, didn't look like he had it to me when I watched the game. I'm also scratching my head as to why a QB sneak was called when anything but a QB sneak would've been a better call. You don't rely on Taylor Martinez to make the play in that situation.

P.S., I am choosing to not watch a replay of the game. Think I'll just try and put it in the past, though there were some great plays on the offensive side of the ball.

Yes and I read I believe in the OWH that Burtch was the receiver and didn't even look for the ball. The only complaint I had on T-Mart was his read were not where he left off last year. he made some really bad reads at the beginning of this game and they stung real bad.

I read that as well and think they mentioned the miscommunication on tv also. The bottom line is that can't happen in the red zone. That single play began the momentum swing that changed the complexion of the rest of the game.

Oh, so that was the fumble, I couldn't figure out where the fumble was in the game. I dunno, didn't look like he had it to me when I watched the game. I'm also scratching my head as to why a QB sneak was called when anything but a QB sneak would've been a better call. You don't rely on Taylor Martinez to make the play in that situation.

but it appeared to me he did have the first down, hence he did make the play. The whistles were not blown and 2 guys-2-ripped the ball from him. Wyoming loaded up 9 guys on our 6 at the line of scrimmage and stuffed it pretty good as usually happens on them kind of plays. There was nothing unusual there.

How many would have Wisconsin or Georgia put up, triple digits is likely. We beat Wyoming by 3, 602 yards, 35 first downs. Yea it is a great scheme.

Yes but the same scheme held opponents to major lows in 2009 and 2010.

The scheme is not to blame...period.

So opponents have four years of film on it, and they've figured out how to defeat it. They adapted, and now it's up to Bo & Co. to adapt as well.

Football is a game of adjustments. From series to series, half to half, game to game and year to year. You cannot do the same thing over and over and expect it to always work.

Not only this, but 2009 and 2010 we were in the Big XII. The match coverage worked because of SUH and the QB's in the Big XII spread play differently than the dual threat guys we see in the B1G.

Like Knapp said, BO busted out the Peso and found a way to "shut down" the spread. OC's saw this and schemed to defeat this. They have. To the tune of 600+ yrds in our last 3 games. To the tune of 4 out of 10 "most yards allowed" have occurred on Bo's watch. His scheme needs to change. It is not working. UCLA drove that plan into the ditch and has shown every team how to beat us. Had Wyoming had better talent and depth, last night would have been a "L".

but it appeared to me he did have the first down, hence he did make the play. The whistles were not blown and 2 guys-2-ripped the ball from him. Wyoming loaded up 9 guys on our 6 at the line of scrimmage and stuffed it pretty good as usually happens on them kind of plays. There was nothing unusual there.

Ok, here's the deal, we're Nebraska, at least we're supposed to be, and they are Wyo. We should not even be having this conversation as we--Nebraska--should have been able to steamroll them 4-5 yds off the ball and leave no doubt about making the conversion. Thats the way I see it and that's why I made that initial comment.

Agree with Bourne.

I kept waiting for our D to blow Wyoming off the line and make way for anything, anything at all, on offense.

It never happened, as near as I could tell.

We are not supposed to be debating anything except whether we won by too much or not. Sorry, that seems a bit entitled, but I grew up watching the teams Osborne and Devaney built. Most of the time, the only real question was how much we would win by, not whether we would win. And farmers in western Nebraska drank a LOT of beers while discussing whether or not a 40 point win over K State was good enough, and puzzling over the very rare loss. A greater topic was how close we were to a MNC and, if not that, what bowl we would blow out some other team in.

I know that was a long time ago, but for an old fart, it is impossible to forget.

We WERE dominant, and a great part of me believes we will be again. Not sure if Bo will be in charge or not, when that happens, but I do KNOW it will happen. It MUST happen.

That is how a coach with all the wins Bo has ends up on the hot seat.

Our history really does not allow for mediocrity. And mediocrity, in these parts, is less than top 5, whether that is a realistic goal or not.