What we learned today...

walksalone

I will gladly volunteer help for Mayflower Van Lines, free of charge. Customer: John Papuchis

He was way over his head.

1442330.jpg

5012dc3c80f46.preview-620.jpg

I know what happens, I read the book....I bolieve I just got the goodbye look....

As focused as you are on the yardage given up in some games, there is no comparison between Pelini's tenure thus far and the Callahan years. Pelini has not missed a bowl and we are one of a surprisingly few schools to win 9 or more games during Pelini's tenure.

This is one of the reasons I agree with HuskerJax. Keep Bo, but get a new DC. Players graduate, clean program, husker traditions continue; this is good, just fix the defense,

I learned that a lot of people think they are better defensive football coaches than Bo Pelini. That, gentlemen, is absurd.

Don't see a single post here where someone is claiming to be a better DC than Bo Pelinin...just that his defenses aren't as great as we thought they were. I think Bo brought a lot of inovation to the league from the NFL...some ahead of the curve stuff. Now the rest of the coaches are catching up and Bo has shown an inability to take his game to the next level. Whether it's due to hiring underlings instead of proven people to be his coordinators (fresh perspective is not a bad thing) I don't know....don't claim to know. But his teams are consistently sloppy and that's a reflection on the coach. His teams take plays off and often don't play hard for 4 quarters...that's probably again the coach.

Again, doesn't take a proven DC to see the poor habits his players have had for 5 years. Habits that have cost us games many times...

In other words, you don't have to be a musician to know when a song is bad.

No. You don't. However, you also don't know anything about why it is bad or how to fix it unless you are a musician. You just have an opinion about it.

So many are upset with the SCHEME of the Nebraska defense when I am certain they don't understand it let alone have the slightest idea how to fix it. But they KNOW it is the scheme.

The damn thing works. Pelini didn't invent the things he is doing. He learned and adapted them. Also, for those of you saying he never adjusts it I invite you to watch the cover 3 in the 3-2-6 that we ran which was brand new. Or the single gap in the second half with 2 LB and 5 DBs all running man with little to no bracket from the safety unless they were only three wide. First half LB covered RB motion, second half a DB did and LB stayed in run responsibility and QB contain.

I am not satisfied with that performance, none of us should be. I am, however, realistic in my expectations of a bunch of inexperienced guys playing at the same time. You would be amazed if you knew, no matter what level of any sport you coach, how an inexperienced player will run everything right in practice and then shot the bed when the lights come on. Now imagine havin 4 or 5 of these players together. They don't yet understand how to play together and they saw a bunch of things they had never seen before.

When evaluating this game you have to look at individual wins also. Gregory consistently won his matchup. So did VV. SJB was good. Evans was great except for about 3 plays. Thought Cooper was good.

If we continue to not get better with THIS TEAM as we progress through THIS SEASON then we can talk about coaching. Right now it was one game.

It wasn't a good performance. I can promise you no one wants to get better more than those guys in that locker room. The real measuring stick is improvement, the talent is there it is just young. Now if we get to October and this is still happening then I will wonder about coaching issues. Just not after the first game.

• Fire 2

I learned that a lot of people think they are better defensive football coaches than Bo Pelini. That, gentlemen, is absurd.

Don't see a single post here where someone is claiming to be a better DC than Bo Pelinin...just that his defenses aren't as great as we thought they were. I think Bo brought a lot of inovation to the league from the NFL...some ahead of the curve stuff. Now the rest of the coaches are catching up and Bo has shown an inability to take his game to the next level. Whether it's due to hiring underlings instead of proven people to be his coordinators (fresh perspective is not a bad thing) I don't know....don't claim to know. But his teams are consistently sloppy and that's a reflection on the coach. His teams take plays off and often don't play hard for 4 quarters...that's probably again the coach.

Again, doesn't take a proven DC to see the poor habits his players have had for 5 years. Habits that have cost us games many times...

No. You don't. However, you also don't know anything about why it is bad or how to fix it unless you are a musician. You just have an opinion about it.

So many are upset with the SCHEME of the Nebraska defense when I am certain they don't understand it let alone have the slightest idea how to fix it. But they KNOW it is the scheme.

The damn thing works. Pelini didn't invent the things he is doing. He learned and adapted them. Also, for those of you saying he never adjusts it I invite you to watch the cover 3 in the 3-2-6 that we ran which was brand new. Or the single gap in the second half with 2 LB and 5 DBs all running man with little to no bracket from the safety unless they were only three wide. First half LB covered RB motion, second half a DB did and LB stayed in run responsibility and QB contain.

I am not satisfied with that performance, none of us should be. I am, however, realistic in my expectations of a bunch of inexperienced guys playing at the same time. You would be amazed if you knew, no matter what level of any sport you coach, how an inexperienced player will run everything right in practice and then shot the bed when the lights come on. Now imagine havin 4 or 5 of these players together. They don't yet understand how to play together and they saw a bunch of things they had never seen before.

When evaluating this game you have to look at individual wins also. Gregory consistently won his matchup. So did VV. SJB was good. Evans was great except for about 3 plays. Thought Cooper was good.

If we continue to not get better with THIS TEAM as we progress through THIS SEASON then we can talk about coaching. Right now it was one game.

It wasn't a good performance. I can promise you no one wants to get better more than those guys in that locker room. The real measuring stick is improvement, the talent is there it is just young. Now if we get to October and this is still happening then I will wonder about coaching issues. Just not after the first game.

I agree, the real measuring stick is improvement.

Defensive scoring rank by season

2008 85th

2009 2nd

2010 9th

2011 40th

2012 56th

2013 82nd

I see the NU defensive swirling around the bottom of the toilet bowl.

I agree, the real measuring stick is improvement.

2008 85th

2009 2nd

2010 9th

2011 40th

2012 56th

2013 82nd

Must have missed the all caps on this team this year????????

2008 85th

2009 2nd

2010 9th

2011 40th

2012 56th

2013 82nd

These are good stats and Pelini is well aware of them. It's why emphasis was placed on improved recruiting the past two seasons and why there is a focus of getting playmakers on the field defensively. There are a couple of chess pieces Pelini and Pap were examining in a game situation.

2008 85th

2009 2nd

2010 9th

2011 40th

2012 56th

2013 82nd

These are good stats and Pelini is well aware of them. It's why emphasis was placed on improved recruiting the past two seasons and why there is a focus of getting playmakers on the field defensively. There are a couple of chess pieces Pelini and Pap were examining in a game situation.

One game does not define a season, yet there are a lot of people here who are acting like it is.

Why would I want to know exactly how to fix it? I'm not getting paid 3 mil/year to put a crap D on the field.

Why would I want to know exactly how to fix it? I'm not getting paid 3 mil/year to put a crap D on the field.

OK well since I don't have the expertise to tell Bo how to fix it, I'll just assume it can't be fixed and stop talking about it. But praise the running backs. We have great RBs! Course our line makes too many false start....see I can't do it. Just too many ugly spots on this team to ignore.

On a side note....remember when teams ran the wishbone...or the Tampa 2 defense was the rage...trends change. Might be time for Bo to rethink his defensive strategy for the college game.

On a side note....remember when teams ran the wishbone...or the Tampa 2 defense was the rage...trends change. Might be time for Bo to rethink his defensive strategy for the college game.

I actually think Bo's D scheme is meant for all these spread crazy, pass happy Os, I mean, why else would he have Gregory dropping back off the line and 6 dbs on the field, etc. I think the central issue has been and still is that we haven't had anything close to the quality DL players we need to pull the thing off. They have little push and hardly any disruption and seem pretty useless playing patty cake in the gaps too. I think ya gotta have a DL that dominates the other team's line, no ifs ands or buts. And it all flows downhill from there.

Our Dbs didnt look the greatest the other night either, not for a 2 deep, veteran crew. Well, A Green has proven himself over and over that he can't get it done, Mitchell seems to have regressed since early last year. Ciante is holding his own and SJB could be a gamer. Cooper/Jackson, well, they are learning on the fly.

The team plays inconsistently and is sloppy around the edges and that's on Bo and not something I'm holding my breath to be corrected anytime soon.

We have a system that is hurting them, not allowing them to play, but have to think too much to react to the play

I agree with the above. Our defensive schemes seems like it is a math story problem to solve: "If Player A goes in motion towards the weak side for seven yards, while the wideouts are 10 and 12 yards out, and the linebacker follows Player A for those seven yards, how many yards do I let either wideout go down the field before I come back for the quarterback streaking for the first down?" (or some such $hit).

Anyhow, the game doesn't allow enough time for everybody to puzzle through to the correct answer, IF all eleven players can get it figured out correctly in the first place.

1) Nice job outta HuskerBoard members helping to get me the info to watch the game

2) It was a pretty good showing for the young guys on the front 7

3) The Defense showed great improvement over last week, especially bringing more than 4 guys

4) Glad to see the D forcing some turnovers

5) Harvey Jackson can hit

6) Glad to see offense sticking to the run a bit more

• Fire 1