What we learned today...

walksalone

Agree with Bourne.

I kept waiting for our D to blow Wyoming off the line and make way for anything, anything at all, on offense.

It never happened, as near as I could tell.

We are not supposed to be debating anything except whether we won by too much or not. Sorry, that seems a bit entitled, but I grew up watching the teams Osborne and Devaney built. Most of the time, the only real question was how much we would win by, not whether we would win. And farmers in western Nebraska drank a LOT of beers while discussing whether or not a 40 point win over K State was good enough, and puzzling over the very rare loss. A greater topic was how close we were to a MNC and, if not that, what bowl we would blow out some other team in.

I know that was a long time ago, but for an old fart, it is impossible to forget.

We WERE dominant, and a great part of me believes we will be again. Not sure if Bo will be in charge or not, when that happens, but I do KNOW it will happen. It MUST happen.

That is how a coach with all the wins Bo has ends up on the hot seat.

Our history really does not allow for mediocrity. And mediocrity, in these parts, is less than top 5, whether that is a realistic goal or not.

Games different. The landscape of college football is different. The team that was #1 in the country in November just last season? That team? yeah, they just lost at home to a Div 1-AA team. You have to let the 90's go sir. that sh#t's never happening again. Dont bring up Bama. They havent been half as dominant.

I think he's talkin' 70s, 80s and 90s. I know, I was there too--'old' fart.

A greater topic was how close we were to a MNC and, if not that, what bowl we would blow out some other team in.

Tom's bowl record is 12-13, including losing 7 straight from '87-'93. Sometimes what we accomplished in his final 5 coaching seasons is what we remember most.....and for good reason.

I clearly remember those years. They were a bitch as a fan. I was either in the stadium, in the early years of those teams, or in a radio station control room listening, as I worked in broadcasting.

They were tough years for sure.

I guess where that time differs is that, we all knew, or suspected, that we had a winner in Tom. The bowl losses hurt, some very badly, but we had a guy we KNEW could figure it out. And we gave him the benefit of the doubt, regardless of how long it took.

Today's world is different. A coach gets, if they are lucky, three years to turn it around or to reach for a ring. Any kind of ring, whether it be a conference championship, a major bowl, a benchmark win against a serious rival.

Tom didn't really have to deal with as much pressure. There WAS pressure, just not so immediate.

In that sense, I feel for Bo. A lot of the internet fanbase is thinking he has to win NOW. It took tom a LONG time to get to the MNC level, and even longer to get the first MNC. The Florida teams were Tom's bane, and it took awhile. I feel we are close with Bo, that he is close to breaking through.

I only hope we give him the time to do so. It may well be another 5-7 years. The most important point is we have not dropped off the radar nationally. When that happens, I will also accept defeat and say let's move on.

So far, we are in the mix. We are ranked, it's early, and who knows?

Now I am rambling.

Time for another glass of wine.

Tom's world really wasn't much different. It's pretty common knowledge he seriously considered taking the Colorado gig because of the criticism he was taking from the fanbase. I think I read somewhere on HB that even some of the boosters were questioning Tom's abilities and were discussing the idea of hiring a new coach.

Personally, the problem I see are a lot of Nebraska fans are spoiled. They became so spoiled from the latter years of Tom's career that they act as if they're entitled to root for a team that dominates every aspect of every game in every season. It's not going to happen. It didn't happen during Tom's career, it didn't happen during Devaney's career and it sure as hell isn't and won't happen during Bo's tenure.

This is probably the first season in a long time when IDGAF how the season pans out. Win, lose or draw, there will be next season and another season after that and another one after that one and so on. Why stress and get all butthurt over a bunch of kids playing a sport who don't seem to be playing up to fan expection.

I really don't think asking Bo Pelini--you know,the defensive 'guru' who was hired on that basis and makes about 10k/day 24/7 just for rolling outta bed in the morning--to put a defense on the field that doesn't give up 600+ yds, now on an increasingly frequent basis, and get blown out on the big stage as being spoiled. Can we keep it more in the 400 range? Ok, I'll settle for 500 from time to time. I'm not asking for a MNC ring anytime soon, but I am fairly CC ring starved, like most us spoiled fans. I dont think that is asking too much from a guy who gets paid 3 mil per to head one of the most storied programs in the country.

We have to have some standard(s), don't we?

• Fire 2

Ok after a full day plus to think about Sat night and after going back and watching the game again here are some observations, (sorry if a lot have been covered, I don't want to read 8 pages of posts)

Ameer was (not saying he is, but was sat) the 3rd best RB

Taylor is still Taylor, by this point no one should be surprised by the great or the bad

I was impressed by the push of the d line,(especially VV) rarely did Smith have a good pocket to throw out of

Mo Siesay cant cover the slot or guys out of the backfield

A Green still cant tackle

The play calling was baffling, (didn't run hardly anything vertical)

Bo's team is still Bo's team, stupid penalties, looks of confusion on d, and barley getting the d call in time for the snap

We need to develop a killer instinct when we have a team on the ropes

The most concerning thing was when they had the chance to step on their throat, they (coaching) looked like they took their foot of the pedal, and after reading SJB talking about how complacent they became on the sideline that reinforces it. I also dont like that Taylor and a bunch of the leaders skipped out on talking to the media.

Overall I do think this will be a great learning experience for the young guys, you cant prepare for situations like that in practice, even though it was against a lesser opponent it will help down the road, and also it may have been a smack in the face for a team that looked a little like they were reading their own headlines on both sides of the ball. This year will be a lot like last year with the games against UCLA, NW, Michigan, Mich St, and Penn St, coming down to the wire, I think they all could go either way, which is why this game may be a blessing in disguise.

I don't want Bo to go. I like him, he is a good representative of Nebraska integrity and gets the tradition. However I think the DC experiment should be over. Hire a real defensive coordinator and let him run it. No more promoting from within. Pay some money get an actual guy who know what he is doing and get out of his way, let him run the d. Bo can then focus on being the head coach

I will gladly volunteer help for Mayflower Van Lines, free of charge. Customer: John Papuchis

He was way over his head.

1442330.jpg

5012dc3c80f46.preview-620.jpg

I know what happens, I read the book....I bolieve I just got the goodbye look....

As focused as you are on the yardage given up in some games, there is no comparison between Pelini's tenure thus far and the Callahan years. Pelini has not missed a bowl and we are one of a surprisingly few schools to win 9 or more games during Pelini's tenure.

And for all the complaints of the Oline, we were 40 or so yards from 4 guys rushing for over a hundred yards. Just not sure on that one.

Too bad they couldnt get the push for that 1/2 yd in the 4th, when we most needed it. Dang! Naw, they did a respectable job, but we're talking Wyo here, the team that was near last last year in rush D.

Watch the game. We had the first down, but for some reason the forward progress was never called and the ball was allowed to be stripped out. The call was a fumble recovery, not a to on downs.

Oh, so that was the fumble, I couldn't figure out where the fumble was in the game. I dunno, didn't look like he had it to me when I watched the game. I'm also scratching my head as to why a QB sneak was called when anything but a QB sneak would've been a better call. You don't rely on Taylor Martinez to make the play in that situation.

P.S., I am choosing to not watch a replay of the game. Think I'll just try and put it in the past, though there were some great plays on the offensive side of the ball.

You're doing a very bad job.....

I happen to agree, Accountability. Bama is the current golden child but they have nothing on the Huskers of the 90's.

I also happen to agree with you, to some extent. Where we differ, I guess, is that I DO think it can happen again. And happen here.

There will come a time when AA schools simply run out of money to compete. They can't ALL build a fanbase and huge stadiums on a student population of less than 10k. Right now, everyone seems to think that a move to the upper echelons is a lottery strike for their athletic programs.

I do have one concern, aside from that. The hurry-up video-game offense is possibly going to be a real problem, an injury laden experiment that hurts more than it helps. It offers a way for lesser talent and athletes to stay competitive but I think it is fool's gold. It will lead to greater injury rates, for one. But it will also cause the top teams to retool on defense and someone will devise a lightning quick substitution scheme that will get some QB killed. And i only speak rhetorically. Someone is going to get badly injured on D or O, and fingers will be pointing. And lawsuits will begin.

I think there should be an automatic substitution time to slow it down. I do not know what that time should be. 15 seconds? 30? I don't know what would be right. But I see that as the next seismic discussion we will be having, aside from a split off from the NCAA.

Strange times we live in.

I have no doubt there are huge holes, HUGE, in my statements. And I am happy to read about others opinions and views.

Finally, I also acknowledge that you might just be right. The game may well have passed me by, too. I was raised in a different era than the athletes and coaches of today. If time proves I am utterly wrong, I will consign myself one day to the sidelines, and watch and hope for the best.

I would hate to see football turn into baseball (waiting between pitches) but I think this could start some interesting discussions. I don't agree with it right now, but I can't say I absolutely disagree with it either.

I just realized there is no explicit fire Bo Pelini thread.

Seriously, how did one NOT pop up after that game.

If Bo owns 5 of the top 10 worst defensive performances in school history after the UCLA game (if they do what they did to us last year), then it will be hard for even the drunkest kool-aid drinker to defend him.

You fire Bo and get who? When you're winning 9+ games a year and your only offence is no conference or national titles what kind of coach would want that job? They'll think, "Well Nebraska is a good job but if I'm not winning a CC/NC by my 6th year then my job is in jeopardy." They know this because if we fired Bo that'd be the second time in 10 years we've done it. Wins define a season, no matter how ugly. You think Ohio State at the end of last year was complaining about the Indiana or Purdue game? No, they went undefeated.

After rewatching, I learned my initial assessment was fairly accurate. The defensive performance was not as bad as it appeared. The two turnovers really threw the D under the bus. And this is gonna sound like a sad excuse but Wyoming and Brett Smith made incredible play after incredible play. He would complete passes to guys that were covered well. Credit Smith and their receivers. When we blitzed, we had success. Only one time did they burn us for a big one when we blitzed and the big gain was not because we blitzed. So, I still feel the coaches should've got more aggressive with blitzing.

The things that kept us from having an acceptable margin of victory;

1- two turnovers

2- inability of our O line to control the LOS in the fourth quarter. This confuses me because they did so well in the 3rd quarter and early 4th.

3- Even though it was Wyoming, they played lights out and just plain made plays that aren't going to happen very often. I give all the credit in the world to them. This was not another case of our defense making an opponent look like a Heisman world beater. He/they earned it. I predict no one else on our schedule will have the game Smith did.

Agree with Bourne.

I kept waiting for our D to blow Wyoming off the line and make way for anything, anything at all, on offense.

We are not supposed to be debating anything except whether we won by too much or not. Sorry, that seems a bit entitled, but I grew up watching the teams Osborne and Devaney built. Most of the time, the only real question was how much we would win by, not whether we would win. And farmers in western Nebraska drank a LOT of beers while discussing whether or not a 40 point win over K State was good enough, and puzzling over the very rare loss. A greater topic was how close we were to a MNC and, if not that, what bowl we would blow out some other team in.

I know that was a long time ago, but for an old fart, it is impossible to forget.

We WERE dominant, and a great part of me believes we will be again. Not sure if Bo will be in charge or not, when that happens, but I do KNOW it will happen. It MUST happen.

Our history really does not allow for mediocrity. And mediocrity, in these parts, is less than top 5, whether that is a realistic goal or not.

Here here!

Agree with Bourne.

Games different. The landscape of college football is different. The team that was #1 in the country in November just last season? That team? yeah, they just lost at home to a Div 1-AA team. You have to let the 90's go sir. that sh#t's never happening again. Dont bring up Bama. They havent been half as dominant.

Is a top 100 defense too much to ask?

• Fire 1

A greater topic was how close we were to a MNC and, if not that, what bowl we would blow out some other team in.

Tom's bowl record is 12-13, including losing 7 straight from '87-'93. Sometimes what we accomplished in his final 5 coaching seasons is what we remember most.....and for good reason.

LOL, I was calling for TO's head in 1989 after a 41-17 loss to Florida State. I justified the losses to OK because I figured they were cheating, and I justified the bowl losses because we almost always played really good teams, and we always seemed to play at their site. I am sure happy no-one listened to me.