We need to stop handing out blackshirts at this point

If you don't understand the tradition of the blackshirts, fine, but please don't comment on something you have no idea what it means. Some of you act like handing out the shirts means we will have a top tier defense. That isn't how it works. If you're complaining about Bo handing them out before the first game to a unit that gave up 600+ yards, you don't f'ing get it.

Blackshirts are for our defensive starters, the best we have to put on the field. It has absolutely nothing to do with performing at an elite level commensurate with our great defenses of the past. If you think we had smothering dominate defense every season in the 70's and 80's, you don't know sh#t.

Blame the root problem, not the background tradition that hasn't been viewed or managed properly during Bo's tenure. The problem is a scheme and game plan that attempts to contain and limit rather than being aggressive and dominating. It's so f'ing simple yet way too many here struggle with it. Sharpen up people.

please consult with Bo if this is so simple...obviously he needs your help! :moreinteresting

In the case of last nights game, yes I am. Wyoming had the type of offense and quarterback ability that has given Bo's defense fits the last two seasons. So yes, I am suggesting that they do something different when they have to face that type of a challenge. Personally I think turning the D line loose and bringing more blitzs would've made a world of difference. Surely it couldn't have been any worse. 600+ yards and 34 points to Wyoming? And yes, they were good and played one hell of a game but I'm not satisfied only beating teams that roll over and play dead.

So you recommend blitzing MORE than we did, which would open up MORE lanes for them to gain MORE yardage on swing passes and slants just by virtue of the fact that we have one less guy back in coverage? You do realize that the spread team we saw last night is predicated on a lot of quick hitting routes??

I think the defense will be fine. Sure there are things that need to be addressed but didn't they play 6 or 7 guys on defense last night who were in their very first Div 1 game.

I disagree. I was impressed by the improvement in speed and athleticism I saw on defense last night. I didn't see much of Bo's lamentation that guys didn't make plays. Sure there were some missed tackles and likely some blown assignments that I didn't pick up on but, I got the distinct impression that these guys can play, mentally and physically. What I did see were opportunities that these guys didn't take advantage of because it was obvious they had been coached to contain some predetermined area of the field.

I agree that they will get better but this defense will not be fine until it shows a willingness to adjust.

Talking to my dad he asked me to go look up the score of the Wyoming game from when we played them back in '94. We beat Wyo 42-32 in Lincoln. Now I know there aren't really any similarities between the two circumstances, but i bet after that game not a single person in the country would have thought we would win the Nat'l Championship. All I'm saying is, is that November is a long ways a way, and we control our own destiny. We can only go up from here, and I hope everyone continues to support this team! It will be fun guys, I promise! GBR

In the case of last nights game, yes I am. Wyoming had the type of offense and quarterback ability that has given Bo's defense fits the last two seasons. So yes, I am suggesting that they do something different when they have to face that type of a challenge. Personally I think turning the D line loose and bringing more blitzs would've made a world of difference. Surely it couldn't have been any worse. 600+ yards and 34 points to Wyoming? And yes, they were good and played one hell of a game but I'm not satisfied only beating teams that roll over and play dead.

So you recommend blitzing MORE than we did, which would open up MORE lanes for them to gain MORE yardage on swing passes and slants just by virtue of the fact that we have one less guy back in coverage? You do realize that the spread team we saw last night is predicated on a lot of quick hitting routes??

Please share your solution. I don't buy the excuse that last nights result was due to youth, inexperience, and the offensive juggernaut that is Wyoming. I am absolutely convinced that we will see a replay of last year, complete with two or three more embarrassing defensive displays, unless we game plan better and make better in game adjustments. Are you content with this performance and result ?

Please share your solution. I don't buy the excuse that last nights result was due to youth, inexperience, and the offensive juggernaut that is Wyoming. I am absolutely convinced that we will see a replay of last year, complete with two or three more embarrassing defensive displays, unless we game plan better and make better in game adjustments. Are you content with this performance and result ?

Have you rewatched the game?

I have rewatched the first quarter. Will rewatch the rest as I get time today or tomorrow. I like to rewatch in bits and pieces to take the emotion out of it. After live viewing, I saw huge gapping spaces in the middle of the field, the kind we had against Wiscy in the CCG last year, and we still were not getting to the qb in a timely fashion. Considering they gained 600 yards and scored 34 points and it was Wyoming, something like the 70th ranked offense last year, I feel pretty comfortable stating it has plenty to do with game plan, scheme, and lack of adjustment. It was not an acceptable performance.

Now please answer my questions. Are you satisfied with the result and performance? What is your solution?

I think the problem is Bo only handed out 7 blackshirts. I thought we could have 11 players. That explains the poor defensively showing. We only had 7 playing defense.

All kidding aside, I believe we will get better as the season progresses. If this doesn't get fixed, I could see some dark clouds in Boy's horizon.

I've made it clear that I am not, however there were good things happening in that game. As was stated, when we were up 31-14 it appeared we really took our foot off the gas and we were really unfocused. That part isn't acceptable.

The holes in the middle of the field have to do with us BLITZING LBs which is what you suggested happen. Not I. Keep watching the game and tell me that the DL is atrocious. You'd be off base.

My solution? Keep our guys focused. You do realize that Wyo didnt score in the second half until 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter right? You also realize that they only scored 7 points through 24 minutes of play in the 2nd half? Using those two numbers, I can tell you that it appeared as though we made GOOD SECOND HALF ADJUSTMENTS to keep them from scoring. It wasn't until we went very vanilla on offense and TMart through the pick that they could really score any points.

It is unfortunate that the last 6 minutes overshadows the entire body of work.

The solution is that those guys that received blackshirts and our team leaders along with our coaching staff can't allow for our team to play as unfocused as they did in the last 6 minutes. That is on our staff and our team leaders.

I think most on here are aware of the Black Shirt tradition and its meaning. But it has been changed by Bo and Clownahan. This year it was obviously on performance or 7 would not have been awarded, at least 11 for tradition.

Also over the years the meaning of the Black Shirt changed to mean a great, swarming, mean, never quitting defense in most of our minds, again not the same.

So no I do not feel Bo understands what they were originally, nor does he realize by qualifying them, he sets standards that need to be met to get them and to keep them. IE under Bo's guidelines we do not have a Black Shirt defense.

I seem to remember Wyoming having over 300 yards at half time. The defense stopped them from scoring, but never really stopped Wyoming. 1-8 means little when they get a first down in 3 plays, they did have 35 first downs, and averaged 7.1 yards a carry. That is not controlling a team. Some how though we can always find a way to blame Martinez for the failure, simply amazing.