Anyone else feel the same?

Ziebol

I didn't get a chance to watch the entire game yet, but from what I saw in the first half, our failed drives lacked push and execution on the offensive line. That has been pretty troubling to me, especially with the amount of talent/experience in that group. Everything starts up front on both sides of the ball.

This is what I'm most worried about. Look at all the weapons we have at our disposal. Beck has to get a lot of credit, I think, for finding ways to work around an offensive line that is far from dominant. This could be a continual challenge. If the OL hasn't turned it around by the end of this year...that should be considered unacceptable for whoever is coaching that group.

Garrison is coaching the line and Cotton the tight ends, correct? Why the tight ends need a coach, and we have no designated coach for the most important position group (quarterbacks), I'm not sure.

If that's the case, I'll give Garrison time to come into his own. Regardless of who is coaching it, though, it's very disappointing. They're very experienced and pretty talented. They should be playing better than they are at this point. Right now they're playing average to above average, kind of in between.

Don't know all the reasons behind it, but it is frustrating to me to see us line up after a big gain,...with the defense on their heels, trying to make substitutions, ... and instead of capitalizing on our momuntum, .... Somebody changes the play and we have to line up again.

Is this Martinez? Beck? I saw this a few times in the last game, and to me it looks like indecision screwing up a momentum push.

Tell me I'm wrong...

I didn't get a chance to watch the entire game yet, but from what I saw in the first half, our failed drives lacked push and execution on the offensive line. That has been pretty troubling to me, especially with the amount of talent/experience in that group. Everything starts up front on both sides of the ball.

This is what I'm most worried about. Look at all the weapons we have at our disposal. Beck has to get a lot of credit, I think, for finding ways to work around an offensive line that is far from dominant. This could be a continual challenge. If the OL hasn't turned it around by the end of this year...that should be considered unacceptable for whoever is coaching that group.

Garrison is coaching the line and Cotton the tight ends, correct? Why the tight ends need a coach, and we have no designated coach for the most important position group (quarterbacks), I'm not sure.

If that's the case, I'll give Garrison time to come into his own. Regardless of who is coaching it, though, it's very disappointing. They're very experienced and pretty talented. They should be playing better than they are at this point. Right now they're playing average to above average, kind of in between.

Joe Ganz is the QB coach, even though he's listed as a GA. It's been that way for the past couple years.

Joe Ganz is the QB coach, even though he's listed as a GA. It's been that way for the past couple years.

As well as the fact that the OC (Beck) probably works nearly exclusively with the qb's as well, as with most programs, and NFL teams as well.

Every defensive coordinator we face gameplans around containing Martinez. They don't do this for any other player we have.

I would bet they start gameplanning around Gregory.

Yeah, I'll bet you're right. Probably a lot of OCs and O-line coaches watching film on him. What little there is of it anyway.

They can quite double-teaming VV at their own peril.

Or they are going to have to start leaving that back in the backfield on obvious passing downs. If they don't they're going to pay for it.

We've ran the ball pretty well.

6.2 against a soft SMiss team and for over 350 agaisnt a persnickety WYO club.

Really without any misdirection or playaction yet.

I think that's the Ace up the Sleeve for LA. once we mix in traps, counters, reverses, playaction, we'll see a defense (hopefully this week) on thier heels a bit and be able to knock them off the ball.

[the one total playaction that comes to mind is Martin-ez over throwing Carter, I think that will type of play is what we'll be seeing more of come stiffer competition]

We've played well and with a good YPC average, but the room for improvement is there. Pass pro has been a little shaky at times and our first drives to start both halves were three and outs. We also only had 96 yards rushing total in the first half against USM. I just think with this group of guys we should be at the point where our will is imposed just a bit more effectively.

We've played well and with a good YPC average, but the room for improvement is there. Pass pro has been a little shaky at times and our first drives to start both halves were three and outs. We also only had 96 yards rushing total in the first half against USM. I just think with this group of guys we should be at the point where our will is imposed just a bit more effectively.

didn't know that about our 1st half rushing stats. doesn't look that great until you consider we had the lead on six-pick (as Crouch would say). Not much time to get established...which makes me think about this slight tangent: is it me, or does it seems like we go a possession or two before we establish a flow, or groove in the running game?

I think, for some reason, with this offense since at least Beck has been here that it takes some time to get our rushing game fluid. Seems like a lot the last 2-3 years we've been 3 and Out on our 1st O possession; first or second half. But once we do, i can't really remember when we were totally ineffective in the run game?

anyway, I think it's choppy starts to games rather than ability on the Line. I like what I've seen so far

Haha, I caught the six-pick, too. Thought it was a funny slip-up.

I think back to last year, and even though our defense didn't do us a ton of favors, there were quite a few games where our offense took a long time to get settled. Penn State and Wisconsin 1.0 to name a couple. Some of that has carried over. Personally, and as I mentioned above, I think quite a bit of this falls on the o-line. First drive of the game for Nebraska was two AA rushes for five yards, and then (IIRC) a failed pass play that resulted in a three yard rush by Martinez and a punt. While I don't remember the exact extent of the third play, five yards on two rushes (and one of those only being for a yard) wasn't very good.

Then, our first drive in the second half was a AA rush for minus two yards, a Martinez rush for no gain and then a pass that gained seven yards. Punt followed. Both drives started with two rushes, those rushes were lackluster and put us in third and long. Unable to convert.

So, I'm certainly not trying to blow this out of proportion. We have been playing pretty well, but given the level of competition and what we have on that line, I just would've expected a little more consistency on their part and ability to impose their will a bit. Moving forward, I'm still not very worried about the offense. I think they're going to do what they have to do.

Yeah, I think we put up some decent numbers, but I don't think that's a reflection or measure of OL play quality so much as it is an indication of a) a set of really talented backs, and b) a pretty savvy offensive coordinator coming into his own and fielding the best system given what he's got to work with.

Until the OL reaches that next level, they're sort of a roadblock that our O has to manage. And I think with that come the issues of inconsistency, although they are going to be largely masked.

Haha, I caught the six-pick, too. Thought it was a funny slip-up.

I think back to last year, and even though our defense didn't do us a ton of favors, there were quite a few games where our offense took a long time to get settled. Penn State and Wisconsin 1.0 to name a couple. Some of that has carried over. Personally, and as I mentioned above, I think quite a bit of this falls on the o-line. First drive of the game for Nebraska was two AA rushes for five yards, and then (IIRC) a failed pass play that resulted in a three yard rush by Martinez and a punt. While I don't remember the exact extent of the third play, five yards on two rushes (and one of those only being for a yard) wasn't very good.

Then, our first drive in the second half was a AA rush for minus two yards, a Martinez rush for no gain and then a pass that gained seven yards. Punt followed. Both drives started with two rushes, those rushes were lackluster and put us in third and long. Unable to convert.

So, I'm certainly not trying to blow this out of proportion. We have been playing pretty well, but given the level of competition and what we have on that line, I just would've expected a little more consistency on their part and ability to impose their will a bit. Moving forward, I'm still not very worried about the offense. I think they're going to do what they have to do.

I think some of this will present itself this weekend. If I'm not mistaken, a number of offensive players have mentioned that once T-Magic actually starts controlling the game calls, they operate at an unbelieveable uptempo that will have the "D" on their heels. I don't think any of this has been revealed yet. I hope their right, and once TM has control with a reliable game plan, DONU just keeps pounding, and pounding, and pounding away !!!!