Don't get me started on drivers...

Okay, I'm started. I ride a bike to class. Sidewalks are bumpy and slow and sometimes end in really weird angles, and 1/3 the time there are cars parked in front of them. Another 1/3 of the time I'm trying to cross a street and a car pulls up and blocks my path to the connecting sidewalk. And if a car hits you coming out of an alleyway I'm pretty sure you don't have any legal footing to sue them. It's illegal in lots of places to ride a bike on a sidewalk. So I ride in bike lanes or in residential areas.

Anyway, this happens to me at least once every single day, and the ride is less than 2 miles:

I come to a 4-way stop. I have the stop sign. I stop. A car approaches from my right or left and has the right of way. Instead of following the law and continuing to drive, their brain goes: "OMG IT'S A BICYCLE WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DO OH I'LL STOP and be a good Samaritan!" and then, since I'm unwilling to break the law in order to make them feel good about themselves, I have to sit there at my stop sign for an extra 30 seconds waiting for them to stop being an idiot, and usually another car pulls up behind me and and thinks I'm the cause of the problem. Then they flip me off or honk at me.

(I've seen plenty of cyclists being idiots too, which makes me even more angry because they're making all of us look bad - like the ones who ride on the left side of the road).

Ok, this was supposed to be a happy topic. I really like Lincoln. The end. (I'm not being sarcastic here, I'm just too lazy to go into detail after all of that other typing I just did up there).

The NJ Turnpike isn't that bad... You should try the horrificness that is the Garden State Parkway or one of the state roads...

That being said, anyone that drives in NY city should get a purple heart and a free psych eval afterwards. Before I got to this part of the planet, I heard Denis Leary do a bit about NYC in which he states, there are no speed limit signs in Manhattan. I've driven in the city dozens of times, and the sonofabitch is right, there aren't any speed limit signs in Manhattan. Hence the reason tourists are considered endagered species...

Hey Moiraine, if they've stopped for you, aren't they waiving their right of way and yielding to you? Just wave and take it, unless of course, there are other cars that would be in your way.

No. They've already slowed me down at that point as it is so I want them to stop doing it in the future, damn it. Plus it takes awhile to start up again so I'd rather be able to do it while there's no one waiting for me. There's also the fear that they're going to randomly start moving again if I don't start fast enough. I'm not going to put myself in danger when dumb people are near.

Go to the 14th and Superior triple lane roundabout (yes, that's right, a THREE lane roundabout for a relatively minor intersection) and watch the hilarity ensue. Just ignore the fact that the only thing actually needed at 14th and Superior was a turn lane for Walgreens, or that accidents are actually UP since they put in the roundabout... But watch 75% of the drivers see a car that is 1/2 way around the circle from them and figure that means they need to sit and wait for it to go past.

Yeah, I'm not trying to compare driving in Lincoln to driving in a big city. I've had plenty of experience with that, but I consider what goes on in big cities as something to be expected.

Lincoln is astounding in that there should not be any issues with driving, and yet nearly everyone is a piss poor driver. You're lucky if you make it a half mile without some dumbass nearly causing an accident - and it's out of the blue, with no apparent reason. They're just awful drivers. And this is compounded by the fact that a 3 year old obviously designed the traffic light system in Lincoln. It's purposefully setup to prevent proper traffic flow, rather than allow it. Lincoln is really just an overgrown hick farm town in regards to all things traffic related.

Can confirm. I've driven plenty in big cities like Chicago, KC, Denver, Minny, etc. I lived in the Bay Area and dealt with "real" traffic on my commute from Los Altos up to Market Street in the City. That's what people are talking about when they talk about traffic problems, and Lincoln doesn't have that.

But Lincoln does have everything Ebyl cited in his second paragraph, making what should be a relatively pleasant and easy drive around town an utter cluster**** of nonsense and nitwittery.