Impact of the UCLA Game

EZ-E

I really don't want to look it up, but I'm pretty sure last year I posted that Southern Miss was a better team than UCLA, and that victory against the underachieving Bruins was a stone-cold lock.

So I'm really torn by this year's gut feeling that the Huskers will win.

But I'm pretty sure we're not looking past UCLA to South Dakota State.

I've been wrong just as much as anyone on this board about various things, but dayum.

Yeah, I also noticed huge seams in the last two defenses that Martinez chose not to exploit, but I'm guessing that's on the coaching, and not just Pelini. Dual threat quarterbacks often get accused of getting happy feet, not staying in the pocket long enough for the receivers to break open. Generally coaches prefer the completed pass, rather than their star player in the open field against headhunting linebackers and cornerbacks. I've never agreed with the injury concern myself, since the qb who stays in the pocket is a target for a headhunting DL, but that's the way most coaches see it.

This is Martinez's senior year, his last ever as a quarterback. If he sees a seam, I want to see him turn on the burners. That's how he's gonna be remembered.

I really don't want to look it up, but I'm pretty sure last year I posted that Southern Miss was a better team than UCLA, and that victory against the underachieving Bruins was a stone-cold lock.

I've been wrong just as much as anyone on this board about various things, but dayum.

I got my inside information from UCLA fans, who up until last years Nebraska game were convinced their team was an undisciplined mess.

Yeah, I also noticed huge seams in the last two defenses that Martinez chose not to exploit, but I'm guessing that's on the coaching, and not just Pelini. Dual threat quarterbacks often get accused of getting happy feet, not staying in the pocket long enough for the receivers to break open. Generally coaches prefer the completed pass, rather than their star player in the open field against headhunting linebackers and cornerbacks. I've never agreed with the injury concern myself, since the qb who stays in the pocket is a target for a headhunting DL, but that's the way most coaches see it.

This is Martinez's senior year, his last ever as a quarterback. If he sees a seam, I want to see him turn on the burners. That's how he's gonna be remembered.

That would be how he's remembered last year. But he has one more year and he wants to be a QB not an RB. He looked different throwing last year (good thing) and IMO he looks different again this year and better. IMO let this year play out and see what he does. I think he has a legit shot to be a thrower and game manager as well as a blazing fast through the seams runner.

Trying to steal tschu's thunder, I see.
Well my thunder was stolen. Probably not going to do my write-up now

Didnt target anyone and I certainly didnt intentionally "steal anyone's thunder." So I don't see the significance of The Dude's backhanded comment. People that have read my posts in the past know that I do long posts from time to time.

TSchu, do your write up. I'm sure we have different views.

I'm mostly just messin' man.

Some of your views are identical to mine though. Great minds think alike

I don't care what any of you people write. I'm planning on writing something up, and I'm going to do it based solely on my available time. You write yours, tschu, EZ wrote his, and I'll write mine. If ten guys write something up, that's ten more things to read than we usually have, aside from the regular-schmegular stuff we always talk about.

I pretty much guarantee mine won't be like anyone else's. :D

Hope you write one up too. I would be interested to hear your take.

I got my inside information from UCLA fans, who up until last years Nebraska game were convinced their team was an undisciplined mess.

No offense guy but UCLA fans are probably not very good sources right as in less good sources than Husker fans and Husker fans aren't very good sources. Just sayin.

My only concern in regards to the impact of this game may or may not make a difference when we go to the Big House in Ann Arbor. And/or when a really good Northwestern team comes to Lincoln. And/or when we go to Happy Valley, see a white out, and play a solid Penn State team. In other words, I would love to see us get the victory against UCLA. I am just skeptical of a roller-coaster performance down the road when we play those teams mentioned that could overshadow a good victory over the Bruins. Know what I mean? Other than my slight skepticism, I really liked the write up EZ, and hope the impact of this game will be the beginning of good things to come. I will trust you on this.

• Fire 1

My only concern in regards to the impact of this game may or may not make a difference when we go to the Big House in Ann Arbor. And/or when a really good Northwestern team comes to Lincoln. And/or when we go to Happy Valley, see a white out, and play a solid Penn State team. In other words, I would love to see us get the victory against UCLA. I am just skeptical of a roller-coaster performance down the road when we play those teams mentioned that could overshadow a good victory over the Bruins. Know what I mean? Other than my slight skepticism, I really liked the write up EZ, and hope the impact of this game will be the beginning of good things to come. I will trust you on this.

OK but remember we blew a few games last year then went on a really good run. So if we suck on Saturday (hope we don't ) that is not a sign that we will suck for two more months.

OK but remember we blew a few games last year then went on a really good run. So if we suck on Saturday (hope we don't ) that is not a sign that we will suck for two more months.

Good point. LOL no, no we won't suck on Saturday. And yes that two month run was amazing.

Good point. LOL no, no we won't suck on Saturday. And yes that two month run was amazing.

Yes it was a great run. Let's hope our skers can do that and more this year.