Beck cost us this game

the bottom line, ucla had better players...end of story....nu has to recurit better, period, or maybe they cannot with the coaches we have.

How about NO!?!?!

Only Texas (and now you) thinks that a player comes from high school as a finished product. (Texas is 1-2 by the way) "All we have to do is sign 5,6, or Eleventeen star players and watch them go." Nope. Bill Snyder of KSU hasn't seen five stars all on one guy since Truman fired MacArthur, and he regularly steamrolls the Longhorns. It's not what you start with, it's what you end up with. Too many guys who were walk ons at Nebraska ended up All Conference, All American or in the NFL to put any credence in the theory that good recruiting beats good conditioning and coaching.

There were no better wide receivers on that field than Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, and Turner. Same with running backs. Same with Evans and Baptiste. We had a better kicker/punter. We had players good enough to go up by 18 points in the first half. This wasn't a talent problem with the players, unless character and concentration are talents.

We came out in the second half running the same offense that got us that 21 - 3 lead and had Husker Nation rocking.

But UCLA made adjustments on both sides of the ball.

We should have run the ball more? Wait, isn't that the conservative approach that Beck is being accused of here?

Beck got too cute? Where? When? Those horizontal passes are safety valve plays when the deep routes aren't working, and with Bell, Turner and Abdullah getting the ball, they're reasonable if not exciting calls. Tight end drops a perfectly thrown woud-be first down pass. Abdullah fumbles on contact inside the 10. Are we supposed to give up both the running and passing game?

Hindsight is perfect. I'd say go back and watch the game, but you really shouldn't. It's a beautiful fall day out there. But if you did, you'd see that the calls made sense, it was just that the Huskers lost their mojo, from the quarterback on down. And a defense that gave up 35 points in 16 minutes -- without the benefit of an offensive turnover -- sure didn't do the offense any favors.

Give UCLA some credit. Their coaches made changes. That's the difference between a guy who had coached in the NFL for 25 years and our guy.

Bottom line: Nebraska will never again live up to our expectations until they hire coaches who can coach "in game."

Mora is an uber genius compared to Bo and Beck. I knew they would come out the second half with adjustments just like last year. What I didn't realize was the total meltdown by both the offense and defense in the second half. I blame the offense more. They were horrible.

I would trade Mora for Bo in a heartbeat. Why do we struggle so bad in picking good head coaches? Are we cheap? We need to spend some money and get some proven coaches here. We can succeed with good coaches.

Tom only wanted puppets that would do things his way, which doesn't work anymore. That is why he doesn't need to meddle in the HC search this time.

Is Bo more of a puppet then Turner Gill?

We came out in the second half running the same offense that got us that 21 - 3 lead and had Husker Nation rocking.

We should have run the ball more? Wait, isn't that the conservative approach that Beck is being accused of here?

Beck got too cute? Where? When? Those horizontal passes are safety valve plays when the deep routes aren't working, and with Bell, Turner and Abdullah getting the ball, they're reasonable if not exciting calls. Tight end drops a perfectly thrown woud-be first down pass. Abdullah fumbles on contact inside the 10. Are we supposed to give up both the running and passing game?

Hindsight is perfect. I'd say go back and watch the game, but you really shouldn't. It's a beautiful fall day out there. But if you did, you'd see that the calls made sense, it was just that the Huskers lost their mojo, from the quarterback on down. And a defense that gave up 35 points in 16 minutes -- without the benefit of an offensive turnover -- sure didn't do the offense any favors.

That's what you get when you have an offense built on sand and your only hope to score against a real team is to trick them or throw one over the top. UCLA got serious and started running right at us hard. That was the turning point and they never stopped. An energizer like Imani in a ball-control offense ...if we had one...could've made it a game. This fluffy offense only works for intramural sports. You make a good point that it's not the play-calling....it's the entire offensive strategy.

That's what you get when you have an offense built on sand and your only hope to score against a real team is to trick them or throw one over the top. UCLA got serious and started running right at us hard. That was the turning point and they never stopped. An energizer like Imani in a ball-control offense ...if we had one...could've made it a game. This fluffy offense only works for intramural sports. You make a good point that it's not the play-calling....it's the entire offensive strategy.

Beck wants to be like Oregon...he gets a hard on watching their offense...we don't have that kind of athlete to be like Oregon.

Give UCLA some credit. Their coaches made changes. That's the difference between a guy who had coached in the NFL for 25 years and our guy.

Bottom line: Nebraska will never again live up to our expectations until they hire coaches who can coach "in game."

Mora is an uber genius compared to Bo and Beck. I knew they would come out the second half with adjustments just like last year. What I didn't realize was the total meltdown by both the offense and defense in the second half. I blame the offense more. They were horrible.

I would trade Mora for Bo in a heartbeat. Why do we struggle so bad in picking good head coaches? Are we cheap? We need to spend some money and get some proven coaches here. We can succeed with good coaches.

Bo is one of the best paid HC in college football.

Yes, top 15 ish.

Beck wants to be like Oregon...he gets a hard on watching their offense...we don't have that kind of athlete to be like Oregon.

Our offense is nothing like Oregon's. And we do have the kind of athletes, in my opinion.

Our offense is nothing like Oregon's. And we do have the kind of athletes, in my opinion.

We have the athletes. We are missing the staff. Oregon has a known system that works. Beck has a mixed bag, we know not well at all. Big difference.

I put 80% of this loss on Becks play calling. Our defense is not good enough for him to call 3 passes in a series that all go incomplete... Very clear we still are unable to make adjustments while UCLA completely shuts us down after the first quarter...

As I walked from the stadium to the bars, I told my cousin I thought 70% of the blame went to Beck's conservative playcalling and complete lack of demonstrative faith in Martinez's decision making.

http://huskerfootballzone.com/blog/ucla-41-nebraska-21/

Martinez has NEVER run the speed option worth a damn

Yesterday Beck forced that play 3 times

What did we have NEGATIVE 40 yards to show for it

ANYONE that knows ANYTHING about coaching football, knows how practice intensive and how much VALUABLE practice time gets eaten up by teaching Speed option

IT DOESNT WORK with Martinez, INVEST the time somewhere else- TOTAL WASTE OF TIME

We ran the ball 42 times for 128 yards. If anyone thinks we simply needed more Imani Cross pounding the ball between the tackles, they are living in a dream world.

You can parse the playcalling all you want, but the calls weren't bad. I'll bet you would have loved them if you'd read them before the game.

The Huskers simply lost their mojo. Both sides of the ball. You could see them saying to themselves "oh my God, here we go again" and then they went there, again.

Bo is one of the best paid HC in college football.

I don't know what you are drinking, but it is time to sober up.