Players that aren't fulfilling their responsibilities

HuskerShark

None of us really have any ideea of the inner workings and psychological dynamics of the team itself, only what we can gather from observing during the games themselves. Therefore, I'm not going to call out any idividual players.

However, I will say one thing... It sure would be nice to see someone on the sidelines getting a little animated and firing guys up when things start to go a little bit wrong-- the other team scores or a dumb turnover or what have you. Instead we see a lot of guys scrambling to figure out what the hell is going on. I wish we SAW some visible passion and someone holding others accountable and demnding more. I'm sure that goes on behind closed doors-- i.e., Abdullah addressing the team-- but I wish we saw some of it during the games.

Perhaps we have none of those types of leaders on the team, yet. I certainly hope we get some, soon.

Sad, this needs to stop now. These kids are doing what they are taught, doing what they are told. Blame the reason they are playing like this. They have put in many hours to play for this team. Address the comments by other teams, about how simple our schemes are, how they never change, how they know exactly what we will be doing play after play after play.

I think this is OK, skersfan. These aren't personal attacks at the players, but evaluations of their performances and abilities. Who has what kind of skillsets and should-he-or-should-he-start are good topics of conversation.

Love the breakdown PaulCrewe posted. Although if our staff really feels the same way on Ciante's coverage ability, why has he been elevated to such a point on the depth chart?

These kids are doing what they are being taught. They fail to accomplish what we as fans set as standards, name them for their failures and their coaches go unscathed. They read this stuff, so do future recruits. Tread lightly on this subject. It can do far more harm than it could ever do good.

• Fire 1

Oh, surely the coaches aren't going unscathed?

The reality is most, or all of us don't have a clue of what we are talking about. Anyone who follows the team or watches the games though naturally wants to know who's doing well and who's struggling, and why. Whether it's a debate on Ciante in coverage or Thad Randle getting off the line at the whistle or VV's success at drawing double teams.

Yeah, I agree, there's a lot of crap thrown around in the course of discussion, or simply uninformed viewpoints, mixed in with the good. The team can't let idle fan chatter hurt them, though. Play in front of millions of fans and you can expect to have your play talked about. We all still cheer the team on. Muting criticism isn't the way to go. I appreciate your viewpoint though and would echo the 'tread lightly' in this area comment. Definitely don't want to see attacks on players, especially their character, and god knows how much of that we've had over the years from McKeon to Keller to T-Mart and so on.

IMO, it comes down to coaching and putting kids i a position to excel and win.

Bo knew coming in that UCLA would try to attack empty space and put our D in a 1 on 1 situation in the open field. The first guy has to make contact. hold on and have every guy run to the ball. I saw this the first half, BUT in the second half, UCLA shifted and Bo could't adjust. Bo is the brains of the op, running the whole show. He doesn't have time to be DC, HC, assist with ST, O, recruiting etc.... Not giving Bo a pass, but when things start to fall apart, it is Paps who :watched film like 20 times", not Bo. Bo asks a guy, who is about as qualified the posters on this board what we need to do and the inexperience shows. It killed us.

Beck is asking his O to perform in a manner they can't. Martinez is not and will never be a pocket QB. ARod will never be able to pull. We can't run the option. Even Beck admitted he got conservative late in the 2nd. No shi!. You say that every game. year 3, good bye.

The kids are doing what is asked of them, by coaches who have them doing things they are incapable of IMO (per scheme). Call to their strengths and we might be amazed at the results.

If you want to run a dual threat spread, bring in Armstrong. He and Stanton are the future. When they put 8 in the box, bring in Cross. Dude averaged almost 7 yrds/carry. They say they go with the "hot RB", Cross is hot. He leads by example ie last guy to leave. ALWAYS.

In order to compete with the schools of equal/better talent/coaching we need coaches who can compete. Not kids. Save a player or two, we stack up well with anyone on our schedule. Hell we hung/were beating UGA until the fumble. We have taken on the "play to not lose" or "we played to conservative" mentality. That mentality, precipitated by the coaches, has spread like a cancer. Hell let Brown finish out the season as OC.

• Fire 1

Until I watch the game again and watch certain things closer here are my observations from the stadium about certain players.

Andrew Rodriguez. Had been terrible for too long. He is NOT a tackle to slow and will hold in a heartbeat to try to cover his butt when he is usually getting put on it. He needs to see the field only on PATs.and field goals. Matt Finnen really needs to start getting looks.

Spencer Long. Yes he belongs on this list. 2ND team AA last year and he needs to start playing like it consistently. He had been worked over every game this year at times, and as the leader of that unit needs to act and perform like it.

Thad Randle. Another time for a change. Bless him for trying to fight through the knee issues, but he is a liability now. MAJOR LIABILITY. his poor play is overshadowing the strong play of VV, who is doing great against double teams and making life easier for his interior DL counterparts.

Ciante. I have never seen what others think they do Ciante. Always had been a, coverage liability. Has been. Heard first hand from a former DB that said this was the coaches belief as well. Yesterday again this was shown as well as a straight Stafford-like tackling effort.

Andrew Green. Two years ago at the end of his redshirt sophomore year, I thought he was playing the best in the secondary. But since that time hehas regressed at a frightening pace. The safety experiment should be over. Special teams its now his cup of tea. Time to get CJax involved.

Harvey Jackson. Same as above. Coverage liability and also is tackling like the safeties in the conference title game. Again, CJax??

As for the staff. Remember when Bo DCed under Frank. He ran a mean man under cover 2 and never was afraid to bring heat. I'd love to go back to this look. Allowed safeties a little more freedom and we all know how Josh Bullocks liked this. A couple of times this year he had shown this look, b but that year way back when he lived it and it confused the hell out of teams.

And I will put Ross Els in here for the special teams yesterday. I think Sam Folz is a good one but two things here. The wind obviously affected the punts in the second and third quarters, and still Sam was hanging it up in the air letting the wind knock it down. Kick it low and drive it should have been the approach. How do you still solid coverage with this punt?? The rugby style kick, I am baffled why we don't use this approach you can take the return game aspect completely out of play. Teams do it to us and we've seen it work just a couple of years ago. Secondly of the rugby kick, you can do your fake punt(which was a terrible call at a very predictable time) with a kid in Folz that was a 22 second 200m guy in high school, not a300 who in that situation needed to make a guy miss.

That is for now but after I get to see this sh#t show again there probably be more.

+1 Excellent breakdown.

How do you feel about what Kaz is doing for the D-Line?

This is an interesting topic. I too am very disappointed in several players who should be leaders and major contributors on this team. That being said, these are not professionals so I am not going to call them all out. I think most of them are disappointed with their play too and most athletes worth their salt will push to get better and improve. I hope that is the case with most our guys.

Instead I want to give props to some guys who have played well:

Kenny Bell

Randy Gregory

Imani Cross

SJB

Sam Foltz

Terrell Newby

Pat Smith

Mauro Bondi

I am not saying these guys are necessarily the best on the team, but I am saying that for their roles and based on their time in the program (if you are a senior I expect more), then these guys are the top achievers. Well done, a chamrocck game ball for each of you.

supposedly Josh Mitchell I guess tweeted calling Husker fans dipsh#ts and then deleted the tweet

Wow, if it was SJB calling out the fans i wouldnt mind. Josh Mitchell was getting burned the entire game however

He's not calling out the entire fan base. He's calling out all of the losers who decide to give the players a bunch of crap on twitter after a bad game. It's one thing to go onto a message board and bitch, it's another to do it directly to a player.