Deadspin just dropped a bomb - "fu fans"

Saunders

That is fairly easy... conduct yourself in such a way as to be unconcerned with whether you are recorded or not. If your character is good you have no fear of cameras or recording devices. pretty simple. Let them watch... if you conduct yourself appropriately you have no issues.

Come on. Put yourself in the circumstances. I have a hard time believing anyone on here wouldn't do the same thing. Why? Because we've all had those moments. It doesn't make them right, it makes them understandable and not as bad as they should be.

No idea what line of work you're in but have you ever disparaged any of your customers when you thought they couldn't hear you?

We're really gonna compare the relationship between a coach and passionate fan to a guy at the grocery store checkout counter and the guy buying brownie mix with an expired coupon?

I just wonder if the sellout streak is in jeopardy now? It's the last thing we have that links us to the Nebraska of old........................if he pissed enough people off, and it looks like he did, the fans could send a SERIOUS message by not showing up, but it's also something that's very dear to us all.

I will glad snatch up an untaken ticket. The streak is safe.

If the recording was from this weekend, it would be a totally different set of circumstances (obviously).

As it's from two years ago, I don't see anything happening immediately (other than an apology). Could carry more weight if the season doesn't turn around.

Really? Who cares when he said it? The fact is that he said it. We fans are HIS customers that pay his bills and then some. Buh bye Bo!!!

No idea what line of work you're in but have you ever disparaged any of your customers when you thought they couldn't hear you?

I sure have.

And I was wrong to do it.

And you should be fired, Landlord! You're an ***hole, and you have no right to your job!!!! (kinda what you're saying about Bo)

Caught the audio on the car radio, from the Mike Godfreed {spelling} show. Its already national news. Mike said he didn't get the OSU job because of his temper, and Urban M coming out of retirement didn't help. What bothered me was, that Mike G, said he was getting help from Stoops and think he said Saben, maybe not , but a SEC coach were trying to get him a SEC coaching job.Thought Bo might leave someday, but was hopping he would stay for the long haul. Looks like he had other plans if this is true, awhile back. GBR!!!

The B1G Title game was pretty much the audition for the Arkansas job, whoever won was getting that job.

I will try to be brief, though this is certainly complicated.

Nebraskans are usually regarded as some of the nicest people in the nation.

And some of the nicest fans. We all know this, and it is widely acknowledged by

outsiders.

I grew up in Nebraska, first Western, then Eastern, with stops in many towns

and cities. There is an unspoken, but very evident, streak of politeness that runs

through the fabric of Nebraskans. Some things you just DON'T SAY. You might

think them, you might say them to your closest confidant, a wife or a husband. But

you NEVER say them in any situation that could be considered even semi-public.

I moved to Florida in 1999. No one here would be surprised if this had come out of

Spurrier's mouth, or Kiffin's, or really any coach in the SEC. I think that the gist of this

is it goes against everything Nebraskans stand for, or claim to.

We knew Bo was full of fire and piss and vinegar when we hired him. This recording,

then, does not surprise me. I have said similar things, or thought them. I think everyone

ever born has done so. Even Tom Osborne. When he nearly left for Colorado, I am sure

he uttered or thought a few well-placed "Dadgummits!". We all know that for Tom that is

pretty much the equivalent.

Now, coupling this with the Tommie outrage from earlier is where I begin to draw my

personal line. Until that moment, I thought Bo deserved a couple more years here.

Now, I have serious doubts about all of this. The admin sure has enough to do whatever

the big cigars will force them to. And it IS about the money men I think, as much as it

is about wins. If Bo wins the B1G this year, it is harder to fire him, but still not impossible.

My greatest fear, though, has nothing to do with any of this. I dread the idea that we may

find ourselves competing with Texas AND USC for the best coach on the market.

That reason alone, I think, is good enough to keep Bo for another year or two. Just to make sure

we don't end up with the third best coaching candidate available at the end of this year.

We're really gonna compare the relationship between a coach and passionate fan to a guy at the grocery store checkout counter and the guy buying brownie mix with an expired coupon?

Yes, because it works. The guy with the expired coupon is like the fan base in that he does things that are infuriating. Bo handled this the wrong way, no doubt. But come on. Most all of us would do the same thing.

This is obviously extremely embarrassing for Bo, but it has not exactly been a secret that Bo has felt very at odds with the fanbase over the years. The whole 'us against the world' mentality he instills in the team comes from it. He doesn't feel the fanbase is out to help the program and struggles to really embrace a group that he feels is at his throat. Which, a portion of them, really are. But largely aren't.

I just wish Bo would include the fans as part of the "us." If the players are conditioned to believing the fans are against them too, what good does that do for their psyches? I go back and forth about Bo's coaching abilities (players love him and I think he truly cares about players), but I have always hated that he won't embrace us as fans. Sure, there is a subset of fans that will always be critical - you get that with any higher profile coaching job. Bottom line, the fans love the team and Bo should/should have embraced that and used it to ignite the players.

Okay, let's think about a couple of things about this audio tape for a minute before we all go and get our panties in a bunch because Bo Pelini isn't allowed to have feelings:

1) This tape was recorded in 2011. You know, that year when Taylor Martinez was being hounded by the media? You know the year when Dirkity Derp Chatelain was taking his asshattery to a new level? The year when Taylor was called out in Spanish class and was booed off the field at halftime? That year? I'm sorry, but could any of you not have any bad feelings regarding Husker fans then. Even I was saying f*** these fans at that game.

2) I think since 2011, Bo has gotten more comfortable with the media, with the fans, with everybody in general--and the fan support has been there to back him up. So why are we making the assumption that Bo feels the same way about the fans now as he did in 2011.

3) The person who decided to release this just now is an ass. If you didn't like Bo in 2011 you should've just released it then. Whoever did this is running off an agenda and for all I care they can quit being a fan of this team--there'll be plenty of others who will donate money to the school if it is a booster.

That's all well and good, but does any of it really matter?

This will hang over the program for at least as long as Bo's here, whether we like it or not. The best thing the university can do is make that time as short as possible.

There really are no other options for NU at this point than to part ways with Bo and clean their hands of this at an appropriate point in time... season's end. Earlier than that may be unreasonable (or may not... depending on variables we know little about)

To not part ways with Bo at this point given this tape would then implicate NU beyond what is the case now. Pelini cannot be connected to NU in any way and have NU not look bad. He is now anathema ... by his own conduct (his performance, or lack thereof notwithstanding)

• Fire 1