Igniting a Powder Keg: Why this tape might help Nebraska football

Bo Pelini, a man known for wearing his emotions on his sleeve and standing up for his players, was sucker punched today when an anonymous poster gave Deadspin a tape which shows Pelini in a tirade about the fans and the media.

If there has been any question about how well a team and a coaching staff, who have really handled adversity in a mixed bag sort of way, can handle adversity off the field, we are about to get an answer for it in the next few weeks.

The players have said that they will run through walls for Bo and that Bo will run through walls for them. Well right now they both need each other. The players need a coach who can be focused and help them get better. And the coach needs his players to stick up for him and defend him. What better way for both of them to make this season special by overcoming this adversity and turning this season into one that will be remembered for what happened at the end of the year instead of what happened at the beginning of the year.

I encourage every Husker fan who is in support of Bo Pelini to make that support known on Saturday. Often times I think the coaching staff suffers from a lack of information about the fans. So often the ones who are heard are the negative fans, and that we supporters are often loud in the stadium, but silent outside of the stadium. I think that has to change. It's time we start operating as a team: players, coaches, and fans alike. Now more than ever do we need to be loud in our support for Bo Pelini and the team.

• Fire 9

I agree, and I've had the same thought. This could light the fire under the program that was sorely lacking last Saturday.

I sincerely hope that's what happens. I hope we keep Bo, but he's going to have to win. Last week, there may have been room for him to have a bad season and still have his job next year. I don't think that's the case anymore.

I said this in another thread but it bears repeating. Pelini said nothing more than what other coaches at top-tier programs have said at one time or another about their respective fans and media hacks. Only difference is, Bo's comments were leaked.

Fans wanted him here as the head coach. They knew his temperament. They knew he was hot headed. This should come as no surprise

• Fire 1

I said this in another thread but it bears repeating. Pelini said nothing more than what other coaches at top-tier programs have said at one time or another about their respective fans and media hacks. Only difference is, Bo's comments were leaked.

Fans wanted him here as the head coach. They knew his temperament. They knew he was hot headed. This should come as no surprise

Exactly, we should be glad that we don't have anything NCAA sanction worthy here. I figured eventually someone would catch him surprisingly.

• Fire 1

Bo Pelini, a man known for wearing his emotions on his sleeve and standing up for his players, was sucker punched today when an anonymous poster gave Deadspin a tape which shows Pelini in a tirade about the fans and the media.

If there has been any question about how well a team and a coaching staff, who have really handled adversity in a mixed bag sort of way, can handle adversity off the field, we are about to get an answer for it in the next few weeks.

The players have said that they will run through walls for Bo and that Bo will run through walls for them. Well right now they both need each other. The players need a coach who can be focused and help them get better. And the coach needs his players to stick up for him and defend him. What better way for both of them to make this season special by overcoming this adversity and turning this season into one that will be remembered for what happened at the end of the year instead of what happened at the beginning of the year.

I encourage every Husker fan who is in support of Bo Pelini to make that support known on Saturday. Often times I think the coaching staff suffers from a lack of information about the fans. So often the ones who are heard are the negative fans, and that we supporters are often loud in the stadium, but silent outside of the stadium. I think that has to change. It's time we start operating as a team: players, coaches, and fans alike. Now more than ever do we need to be loud in our support for Bo Pelini and the team.

100%. I can't express in words how much I want this team to turn the corner and run the table now. For some reason, I have a feeling this was what woke up the sleeping giant. I'm not making any predictions or anything, but I'm getting a gut feeling that the rest of cfb isn't ready for what they are going to see happen in the near future. Honestly, I'm almost glad this was leaked.

I think we've seen the "us against the world" mentality before and the energy, if any, doesn't last. Isn't that the exact attitude Bo was expressing on the tape?

It will be a major distraction for the team this week. If we beat the next few (supposed) creampuffs, things will quiet down for a while. This is a losing situation for everyone at Nebraska. This isn't going to make us a better team. It's not a plot point in a Hallmark movie. Just a really crappy situation.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm pissed at Bo. Just for being stupid if anything else. In this day and age of everything being tape recorded or caught on video etc. At the same time I do feel the guy is passionate about winning and passionate about his players and staff.

Allright Bo. Let's move forward. As a fan I'm willing to put all of this crap behind and go with the attitude and words you spoke at your press conference this morning. Mad at you yes. Behind you. Yes.... Let's move forward and learn something from all of this.

I watched Bo's press conference from this morning and it actually was one of more enlightening and positive press conference's I've ever seen from the guy. Saying he wants the players to have 'fun' again. Watch his entire presser from this morning if you can. (Omaha.com)

I'm behind you Pelini. Let's do this...

If anything, it obviously puts even more pressure on Bo than there was 24 hours before, as unthinkable as that might be considering the weekend he just had. It might take something extraordinary to save his job now. This is obviously some person's way of forcing Eichorst's and everyone else's hand, one way or another.

The gauntlet has been thrown down.

If it somehow galvanizes this team, then great. I'm not convinced they are mentally strong enough to do it, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

• Fire 1

It either makes or breaks the program. With the teams comments following UCLA, former players weighing in, Bo firing back and now this, it will be interesting how this all plays out and what effect it will have on the team.

Another question is does Bo even want to stay after this?

Would firing anyone on the staff be seen as the right move or simply trying to get out from under the comments>

Is there now a shift in which some fans refuse to support the team and in turn the team has animosity towards the fans? (horrific IMO)

Does Bo become even less press friendly?

Lastly, I think that this hurts the program even more. The national media already looks at us as irrelevant, an "also ran". They have painted Bo as hot, out of control and this outburst feeds into that perception. Whomever leaked this didn't just hurt Bo, they hurt the players, the fans and the great state of Nebraska. The leak has done more to hurt our national perception than a loss ever did. This isn't the Nebraska way. Never has been and hope it never will be.

It either makes or breaks the program. With the teams comments following UCLA, former players weighing in, Bo firing back and now this, it will be interesting how this all plays out and what effect it will have on the team.

Another question is does Bo even want to stay after this?

Would firing anyone on the staff be seen as the right move or simply trying to get out from under the comments>

Is there now a shift in which some fans refuse to support the team and in turn the team has animosity towards the fans? (horrific IMO)

Does Bo become even less press friendly?

Lastly, I think that this hurts the program even more. The national media already looks at us as irrelevant, an "also ran". They have painted Bo as hot, out of control and this outburst feeds into that perception. Whomever leaked this didn't just hurt Bo, they hurt the players, the fans and the great state of Nebraska. The leak has done more to hurt our national perception than a loss ever did. This isn't the Nebraska way. Never has been and hope it never will be.

Well said.

After sleeping on it, here's my take.

I'm not at all upset about the comments. I have gone back to that night, that week, that period in Husker football history. It was a very stressful and emotional time. Folks, I suggest you to the same, but here's cliffs notes...

1st year in Big 10.

Coming off a blowout loss at Wisconsin

Taylor fried int he press.

Playing Bo's alma mater

Come from behind win

Fans appear to quit on team and vice versa

and so on and so on.

But I see this galvanizing our Husker family. Thread title may be right. "Igniting a powder keg" I know it's somewhat irresponsible to talk about scoreboard results, but that is the bottom line anyway. We've been on the cusp for a while now. We've all seen things over the last couple years that make us think we're this close. We've also seen things to make us thing we're so far away. Is this going to be that catalyst? Maybe not, but I say we use it. I say we get behind our coach, Nebraska style, and the these players. Everyone must come together. This may have been intended at just Bo, but when bombs fall, they effect innocent bystandards as well. We are the innocent bystandards in this crock of sh#t. Our program is the civilians. And our proud football programs is just somethign you dont f#*k with.

Bo's stayin. He'll publicly reprimanded, etc etc etc. We all know this. But I believe that deep down when the smoke clears, the support may be stronger than ever. I dont expect any boos whatsoever Saturday. I do expect a huge ovation and a show of unwavering support, not just for Bo, but EVERYBODY. Why do I think this.....

It's right here on the message board. I see numerous folks who have been anti-Boish for a while, or have become so after Saturday all sudden putting their support back towards him. We've been cornered as a fanbase. As a program. ESPN's gonna fire some punches today, you can bet your ass. Rusillo just went of on us yesterday for no reason whatsoever while talking about the Pac12. It's time to start fighting back. And I bet our players are the ones who start to throw the first punch Saturday. I feel sorry for SDSU.

• Fire 1

I'm not at all upset about the comments. I have gone back to that night, that week, that period in Husker football history. It was a very stressful and emotional time. Folks, I suggest you to the same, but here's cliffs notes...

1st year in Big 10.

Playing Bo's alma mater

Come from behind win

and so on and so on.

But I see this galvanizing our Husker family. Thread title may be right. "Igniting a powder keg" I know it's somewhat irresponsible to talk about scoreboard results, but that is the bottom line anyway. We've been on the cusp for a while now. We've all seen things over the last couple years that make us think we're this close. We've also seen things to make us thing we're so far away. Is this going to be that catalyst? Maybe not, but I say we use it. I say we get behind our coach, Nebraska style, and the these players. Everyone must come together. This may have been intended at just Bo, but when bombs fall, they effect innocent bystandards as well. We are the innocent bystandards in this crock of sh#t. Our program is the civilians. And our proud football programs is just somethign you dont f#*k with.

Bo's stayin. He'll publicly reprimanded, etc etc etc. We all know this. But I believe that deep down when the smoke clears, the support may be stronger than ever. I dont expect any boos whatsoever Saturday. I do expect a huge ovation and a show of unwavering support, not just for Bo, but EVERYBODY. Why do I think this.....

It's right here on the message board. I see numerous folks who have been anti-Boish for a while, or have become so after Saturday all sudden putting their support back towards him. We've been cornered as a fanbase. As a program. ESPN's gonna fire some punches today, you can bet your ass. Rusillo just went of on us yesterday for no reason whatsoever while talking about the Pac12. It's time to start fighting back. And I bet our players are the ones who start to throw the first punch Saturday. I feel sorry for SDSU.

Too bad the opponent is SDSU, and not someone we could have used the extra mojo for, like tOSU or Michigan. :-|

And while I agree with what you said, my only concern is that at the end of the day, we still have a head coach that is too stubborn to get out of the mire he's in and a group of coaches that have not shown they can make meaningful in-game decisions, changes, decisions, or adjustments during big games.

Yes, this will rally everyone around Bo, and yes, people are messing with the program. But if this gives Bo a reprieve on his big game record that he doesn't deserve...it could continue to set us back for years to come.

1st year in Big 10.

Playing Bo's alma mater

Come from behind win

and so on and so on.

Too bad the opponent is SDSU, and not someone we could have used the extra mojo for, like tOSU or Michigan. :-|

And while I agree with what you said, my only concern is that at the end of the day, we still have a head coach that is too stubborn to get out of the mire he's in and a group of coaches that have not shown they can make meaningful in-game decisions, changes, decisions, or adjustments during big games.

Yes, this will rally everyone around Bo, and yes, people are messing with the program. But if this gives Bo a reprieve on his big game record that he doesn't deserve...it could continue to set us back for years to come.

You may be right mg, but I think I am because I feel our team has more of a motivational/psychological issue. Does that fall on coaching too? Sure it does. I dont think it's nearly as much x's and o's as folks think. I see almost strictly effort and mental issues.