Players Cursed At?

jmfb

Look at the sh#t people post on here about A-Rod. Look at the sh#t Martinez takes from the fans. Look at the way we treated receivers like Niles Paul and Brandon Kinnie who forgot how to catch the ball. Look at how much we ripped safeties like Stafford, Cassidy, and O'Hanlon.

Don't even try to tell me we don't do that at Nebraska, because it's a cop out, and a really sh**ty one at that.

I'm not gonna go back and do it becuase I dont have to. I have the common sense to know. But you should go back and track them kind of nasty comments just on this baord, and I bet you'll find it represents well under 5% of the thoughts of folks on this board. And this board is a small cataclism of HuskerNation. It's not that we dont do it here, but that it's an extrememly finite minority, and I'm pretty sure the players know that too.

I heard about Thenarse's comments about NU fans cursing at him, while cheering the opposing team on their way out.

Was he complaining about the opposing team being cheered on the way out? Really?

And no one should condone college kids getting cursed at by anyone playing a game. That's not right. But in Thenarse's case, I walked by him once in Lincoln leaving the gym while he was walking in, and we briefly made eye contact. He sneered and said "What are you looking at, big man?" I did not respond, but sometimes players walk around town with some pretty lousy attitudes, and it makes it harder to be sympathetic towards them.

Yeah, there is a continegent of the fan base who are insufferable d-bags, but taking on an attitude with the entire fanbase is not going to do a player or a coach any favors. Being able to deal with the negative nancies appropriately (i.e. ignore them) is part of the job.

I heard about Thenarse's comments about NU fans cursing at him, while cheering the opposing team on their way out.

Was he complaining about the opposing team being cheered on the way out? Really?

And no one should condone college kids getting cursed at by anyone playing a game. That's not right. But in Thenarse's case, I walked by him once in Lincoln leaving the gym while he was walking in, and we briefly made eye contact. He sneered and said "What are you looking at, big man?" I did not respond, but sometimes players walk around town with some pretty lousy attitudes, and it makes it harder to be sympathetic towards them.

Yeah, there is a continegent of the fan base who are insufferable d-bags, but taking on an attitude with the entire fanbase is not going to do a player or a coach any favors. Being able to deal with the negative nancies appropriately (i.e. ignore them) is part of the job.

Yes, he was

Not cheering for him when he played badly, but cheering on a team who had either just "beaten our ass" or got blown out

The net is, there were maybe 5,000- 7,000 people cheering that team on, doing the right thing- a big group (5,000-7,000 is MUCH bigger than 2-3)

There may have been 2-3 people making a nasty comment to Ricky T

Ive not seen a bunch of jeering NU fans yelling at players- not in the tunnel- near the sidelines or in my section

Does it happen? Probably, but not widespread. Alcohol is not a banned substance and there isnt an IQ test required to buy tickets.

I had a roommate back in the 80s; who didnt know much about the game, didnt really follow the team. But the couple of games I let him take 1 of my tickets, he had some pretty nasty things to say- loudly. I never invited him back- he didnt know what he was talking about. Like the people who come to the games and cant find their seats- rookies, they dont really follow the team, dont know the game etc

Ive seen fans policing themselves when things get out of hand.

Im NOT of course in the student section, in a section of very long term fans

Fans who didnt boo this weekend, but were disappointed, not violently or loudly, just disappointed

If I cared about what others said about me, I wouldnt be able to go out the door every day- all that matters is what my wife, children and God think. I could care less about the rest.Not sure why they are so obcessed with what others think about them.

Hey guys, maybe if we talk about all the incidents of Husker fans not being the "greatest fans in college football", we can salvage the notion that we're the greatest fans in college football! </sarcasm>

Anybody who thinks Nebraska fans are different from any other sports fans needs to get out a little more. We have a lot of fans who are fantastic people, and we have a few fans here and there who are total d-bags, just like any other fanbase.

Stuff like this is why Bo should probably just have a social media ban. At this point, it's not that his players make mistakes on social media. Very rarely do we see a player tweet something that deserves to be taken down, but clearly the players (and coaches) are unable to filter the criticism appropriately. They're reading too much about themselves, whether it's positive or negative.

The overall vibe of the fan base is no different than it was in 1996, when they booed Scott Frost. But back then, you couldn't just pop onto Twitter after the game to give an earful directly to the kid.

• Fire 1

I've bit my tongue enough on this one - you're flat out wrong. Our fans frequently say nasty sh#t to our team members, yeah it might be a select few, but the insults are more personalized when its not a mass group "booing".

Players get called the "N" word frequently, as well as people making fun of their faith. On campus, social media, after games (the bad ones), during games. Taylor almost left the program because of the fans (ever wonder why Bo tried so hard to get him to not care about pleasing others? Media especially) Our coaches get lambasted on twitter frequently. The "N" word flies around a lot in the age of social media and even on the sidelines when things aren't going so well.

How would you feel if you messed up and some knucklehead started calling you racist names and threatening to kill/harm you? And they then, in turn, start clapping their hands when the other team walks off the field saying they played a good game. I imagine not so well.

I've bit my tongue enough on this one - you're flat out wrong. Our fans frequently say nasty sh#t to our team members, yeah it might be a select few, but the insults are more personalized when its not a mass group "booing".

Players get called the "N" word frequently, as well as people making fun of their faith. On campus, social media, after games (the bad ones), during games. Taylor almost left the program because of the fans (ever wonder why Bo tried so hard to get him to not care about pleasing others? Media especially) Our coaches get lambasted on twitter frequently. The "N" word flies around a lot in the age of social media and even on the sidelines when things aren't going so well.

How would you feel if you messed up and some knucklehead started calling you racist names and threatening to kill/harm you? And they then, in turn, start clapping their hands when the other team walks off the field saying they played a good game. I imagine not so well.

I doubt that the same morons who are hurling racial epithets are the same ones who stay to applaud the visiting team for the most part, but I don't think anyone can really argue the rest of your post. This crap happens everywhere, and it's disgusting, and social media makes it more visible. I wish it wouldn't happen anywhere, and I wish fans could police themselves better.

Down to the individuals, especially the student section, I would guess that our fanbase is not really much different than any other, except for the organized willingness to show class toward opponents en masse, but we have the same kinds of idiots that any other place will have (just different numbers of whom are tolerated perhaps).

• Fire 1

I doubt that the same morons who are hurling racial epithets are the same ones who stay to applaud the visiting team for the most part, but I don't think anyone can really argue the rest of your post. This crap happens everywhere, and it's disgusting, and social media makes it more visible. I wish it wouldn't happen anywhere, and I wish fans could police themselves better.

Down to the individuals, especially the student section, I would guess that our fanbase is not really much different than any other, except for the organized willingness to show class toward opponents en masse, but we have the same kinds of idiots that any other place will have (just different numbers of whom are tolerated perhaps).

Interestingly enough (from what I've been told), a certain player finds it funny that the same people who chastise him for his beliefs, are the ones that clap for the other team. That is what pisses him off.

There are two instances of booing that I'm really embarrassed of. 1997 against Central Florida, the booing directed at Scott Frost. It was audible, it was excessive, and it was embarrasing.

And, that night against Ohio St. Right before half. I thought that was pretty bad. People leaving was worse. I still dont understand why 25% of the crowd even bothers going to the games. Yes, one fourth, it seems cant wait to get the hell out of there.

I was at that OSU game, and I remember most of the crowd waiting for the team to leave, and then as the refs ran off the field under the South Stadium showering the refs with LOUD BOOING. I really think that the refs were the target of most the boos, not Bo or the team. After the game I heard that the boos corresponded to Bo running off after his halftime interview. I couldn't see that from my seat.

The whole Bo reaction was to the fans booing the refs.

For the record, I've never heard any one drop a racial slur at a game. Never.

If I did, not only would I turn to them and tell them to shut the hell up, but I'd be willing to guarantee that about 10 other people in the area would do the same. Hell, most of the people in my section get mad just when people who clearly know nothing about football start criticizing players or coaches.

If someone is dropping racial bombs, do something about it. Don't just sit there.

• Fire 1

Yes I have seen fans cascading their boos on refs as they come off the field. Unfortunately, Ive been part of that group on occaision.

As to the "n" word, I call totaly BS

Ive been going to games for over 40 years and Ive NEVER heard it once in the stands

Ive been to the sidelines almost every game at the half with my kids- NEVER ever heard any "n" word

How in the WORLD would we ever get any black recruits to commit here if the "n" word was all over our sidelines at every game like you say?? Total nonsense

People dont tolerate it now being a "racist" is the worst thing anyone can call you today, they didnt 20 years ago either

I almost always sit in the same seats, but Ive sat in the North, South, East and West stadiums and had pretty much the same experience as where my season tickets are

Over 200 games

Im thinking it HIGHLY unlikely a big old football player is being called the "n" word to his face on campus by some little puke student, get real

The football player would crush him and those around would chastize and shun the racist- In todays world, the worst thing you can be called or labeled is a racist. Total BS

Yep the guys threatening to kill harm,. use the N word are the same guys that cheer for the other team when they leave- yep right, totally consistent with who those guys are LOL

HEck where Im at- they toss guys out for swearing loudly and consistently. Fans police themselves alot here.