Texas, USC, Nebraska - hot seat coaches?

TGHusker

Ok this is probably way to early to start this thread but why hold back wt Bo is on the hot seat and I thought I'd throw caution to the wind. Let me say this, I've been a Bo fan from the beginning but wt reservation beginning to hit me hard last year. My gut tells me, unless Bo gets back into the CCG, this will be his last year. Too much junk flying around out there now for powerful anti-Bo boasters to work wt - who will want him removed.

Most likely Texas and USC will be making coaching changes at the end of this football season. Will NU join them? If Bo can't turn this around and we loose 4 or more - I think we will be looking for a new coach as well.

If this is the case, you'd have 3 of the top 10 teams all time looking for a HC. Where would Neb sit in the favor-ability factor in finding a top coach?

1. Texas & USC both have the local recruiting base that a new coach can easily reach

2. Both schools have desirable geographical locations

If all three positions are open, what would be our 'recruiting' ace in the hole to get a top tier coach. I don't buy the argument that we have to settle for another BC, that NU isn't a desirable market, or that we have to settle for an unproven DC or OC as the new head coach (although I have some openness to Scott Frost - he hasn't proven, like Bo still hasn't proven, he can captain the whole ship)

Some advantages for NU:

1. King of the state - NU has devoted fans and no NFL or other major college programs stealing the press, highlight reals, - everyone here is here to see NU.

2. Clean reputation, good academics

3. Big 10 Conf - the right coach can come in here and compete for championships every year IMO. With the right recruits, player development, and game management, there is no reason NU cannot win the division 5x or more a decade - throw Mich and Wisc a bone every now and then.

4 Facilities

5. The challenge to restore a great traditional program

If we have to make a change - who would you like to see come here?

Some thoughts on coaches in random order:

Strong

Petersen

Frost

I was actually impressed wt Wy's coach - he coached a good game against us. Had his player ready and not intimidated and motivated. I can think of a great coach who started a dynasty who came here from Wy some 50 years ago.

NW's coach is doing a good job wt many restrictions

Paul Johnson - Georgia Tech - bring back the power option game

Georgia's coach - Richt

I remember Richt being a little bit on the hot seat before for being OK but not elite at Georgia. I think it was something about 9 win or 4 loss seasons.

So I kinda feel like that'd be more of the same.

Haven't you heard? Being 9-4 in the sec is like going undefeated in the BIG every year. You really need to watch more ESPN.

Whoever is or will be the head coach at Nebraska, the most important thing is that he gets it. Gets the program, gets the state, gets the culture.

That's why I want Bo to succeed. He gets it. That's also why people entertain thoughts about Scott Frost and Craig Bohl - they get it, because they're from here.

Whoever it is, they don't have to be a Nebraska native, they don't have to have head coaching experience, they don't have to necessarily be a proven, elite coach, although all of those things would be great assets to have. More than anything, they have to belong, and they have to want to belong.

THAT is why finding a successful coach at Nebraska is different than other programs. We're not, and we shouldn't, find a Nick Saban, a Mack Brown, a Chip Kelly, etc. Other schools just simply do not have the same culture, and so it works for them to find whoever has the most championships or the highest price tag without any consideration of cultural context. Sometimes some schools are close and go through something similar, such as Michigan with Rich Rodriguez, but for the most part it is entirely unique, and when other schools don't take those considerations, what keeps happening as a result? Sanctions, vacated wins, scandals, and probations.

Not here. Not at Nebraska.

That's why I believe Darin Erstad was a great hire, despite zero coaching experience. That's why enough people still support and want for Bo to be the guy that gets us back. That's also why the last decade has been so rough - we have gotten away from our identity.

• Fire 2

Whoever is or will be the head coach at Nebraska, the most important thing is that he gets it. Gets the program, gets the state, gets the culture.

That's why I want Bo to succeed. He gets it. That's also why people entertain thoughts about Scott Frost and Craig Bohl - they get it, because they're from here.

Whoever it is, they don't have to be a Nebraska native, they don't have to have head coaching experience, they don't have to necessarily be a proven, elite coach, although all of those things would be great assets to have. More than anything, they have to belong, and they have to want to belong.

THAT is why finding a successful coach at Nebraska is different than other programs. We're not, and we shouldn't, find a Nick Saban, a Mack Brown, a Chip Kelly, etc. Other schools just simply do not have the same culture, and so it works for them to find whoever has the most championships or the highest price tag without any consideration of cultural context. Sometimes some schools are close and go through something similar, such as Michigan with Rich Rodriguez, but for the most part it is entirely unique, and when other schools don't take those considerations, what keeps happening as a result? Sanctions, vacated wins, scandals, and probations.

That's why I believe Darin Erstad was a great hire, despite zero coaching experience. That's why enough people still support and want for Bo to be the guy that gets us back. That's also why the last decade has been so rough - we have gotten away from our identity.

Well said.

my guess is you would be thrilled with a guy who wins Conference Championships and BCS bowl games...whether he "gets it" or not...

• Fire 1

I'm not in total disagreement with you, but Bob Devaney wasn't a Nebraska guy. If you find the right guy, they can fit the culture irregardless of whether they've been here before or not. Shawn Eichorst is an example of that - he's not a Nebraska guy, but so far he seems to understand what it's about much better than Pederson.

I'm not in total disagreement with you, but Bob Devaney wasn't a Nebraska guy. If you find the right guy, they can fit the culture irregardless of whether they've been here before or not. Shawn Eichorst is an example of that - he's not a Nebraska guy, but so far he seems to understand what it's about much better than Pederson.

Reread my post and note the bold. The whole crux of the post isn't that they are Nebraska people, but that they get Nebraska. Bob Devaney got it. Shawn Eichorst most definitely seems to get it. Both of them belonged here.

You're right that you're not in total disagreement with me. You're in total agreement :P

Everyone knows my theory on this. Joe Moglia HC at 750k, Scott Frost OC at 1.25 mil, Ron Zook/Randy Shannon DC at 1.25 mil. ST/RC at around 700k-1 mill. Assistants at around 500k each. That's the "team". Too many worries about the HC, not enough about the "team". Our problems are less about Bo and more about those under him. Learn from that.

very true - Tom had a team of dependable, consistent assistants for many years - that is how they built the pipeline - consistency in the coaching throughout the organization

Back to my original post - would we be at a terrible disadvantage if we had to compete wt Tx and USC for a coach? What Landlord said is very true - I don't think it has to be the next Saban but someone who can embrace our culture. I don't think we have to go through another 'coach in training' session.