Martinez held out of practice with turf toe

Ric Flair

Looking back at highlights for the UCLA game. Not sure how UCLA didn't get a penalty when a UCLA player put his helmet right on Martinez' face mask in the 1st quarter. Then they call a penalty on C.Cooper for his face mask touching the QB first. aren't most tackles started with the face mask touching the other player?

Unfortunately we are at a stage where ALL personal foul penalties need to be reviewed and reversible. Those are much too hard to call in real time due to the speed of the game. The current rule is targeting is an ejection, which can be overturned upon review but not the penalty. Anyone else think that is stupid, given the huge growth in protective penalties?

Yes and no. I agree with protecting the players, but think we have to use more common sense in crafting these rules.

In an abundance of caution reviewing all of these penalties sounds OK, but games are already three and a half, sometimes four hours. That many more replays will kill the game.

Looking back at highlights for the UCLA game. Not sure how UCLA didn't get a penalty when a UCLA player put his helmet right on Martinez' face mask in the 1st quarter. Then they call a penalty on C.Cooper for his face mask touching the QB first. aren't most tackles started with the face mask touching the other player?

I don't know if you can apply too much logic to officiating these days. Those were both bad calls period.

Yes and no. I agree with protecting the players, but think we have to use more common sense in crafting these rules.

In an abundance of caution reviewing all of these penalties sounds OK, but games are already three and a half, sometimes four hours. That many more replays will kill the game.

I don't know if you can apply too much logic to officiating these days. Those were both bad calls period.

I think knapp has it right. To me, they've made too many rules without considering what it's going to take to enforce them. The officials are told somebody wants this or that call a certain way but it is almost impossible to have the perfect look at everything going on with 22 guys running around at full bore. Officials are left to have to make too many judgement about if a player is "targeting" or is "defenseless" and it's bound to lead to making calls that shouldn't be made.

Helmet to helmet is a perfect example. The spearing rule has been in the books for decades - when have you ever seen it called? But now they think they have to make more rules when all the really need to do is enforce the ones they have. Or you can't hit a "defenseless receiver" even if he just caught the ball or block a "defenseless player" even if he is trying to make a tackle.

I don't want to see anyone hurt any more than anyone else but the rule-making lately is out of control. There is a spot in the student section for those who are that worried about getting hit.

• Fire 1

Unfortunately we are at a stage where ALL personal foul penalties need to be reviewed and reversible. Those are much too hard to call in real time due to the speed of the game. The current rule is targeting is an ejection, which can be overturned upon review but not the penalty. Anyone else think that is stupid, given the huge growth in protective penalties?

If the refs were capable of making the call with any degree of accuracy in real time, I would agree that the time spent would not be worth it. However, I factored that against the large impact of these calls before posting. At least give the coach a challenge option or something, its gotten way out of hand to where you can't even play defense anymore.

If the refs were capable of making the call with any degree of accuracy in real time, I would agree that the time spent would not be worth it. However, I factored that against the large impact of these calls before posting. At least give the coach a challenge option or something, its gotten way out of hand to where you can't even play defense anymore.

exactly. To some degree as a defender you could worry about not getting a penalty and not making a full out tackle, especially the way we have gotten calls against us.