Martinez held out of practice with turf toe

Ric Flair

If we're a run-first offense predicated on running the zone read (a questionable statement, I realize), telling me my QB can't run is basically the same as saying we can't run the offense. Tommy Armgstrong is the future. I would unquestionably let him take this next game. But the MO under Bo is to let a 75% Martinez play over a 100% backup.

nope...Bo will trash TM against lowly SDSU and Tommy won't get the reps he needs when TM can't go....seen this movie before.

• Fire 1

But the MO under Bo is to let a 75% Martinez play over a 100% backup.

And none of us should voice loud criticism towards that, because Bo and co. are the only ones that know if a 75% Martinez is a better or worse chance to win than a 100% backup.

Play who gives you the best shot to win. Period. If that's a less effective Martinez, then it is.

Fair enough, but based on his ball security and the quality of the opponent, it's hard to imagine a scenario where playing Tommy equals a loss. If this guy is going to be the likely starter next season, he needs game reps this season, as many as we can get him. I'm not a big Martinez guy--I admit that up front--but it just makes sense to give the guy a shot if Taylor isn't full go and Tommy is.

Ridiculous.

I think the point isn't that Martinez is useless, but maybe it is futile to injure Martinez even more during a game that should be winnable by either reserve quarterback. Hold Martinez back and give him a chance to heal for when we need 102% of our firepower.

I remember Tom Osborne playing a back with a cast on his wrist against Oklahoma. Brian Bosworth ripped the ball out of his bad hand which helped defeat us that year. I don't believe that one player is dominant that he is better crippled than his back up is perfectly healthy.

I had turf toe my Freshman year, if you havent had it, you have NO IDEA how painful and long lasting it can be

And artificial turf just makes it worse. The quick and sure grip of the turf means you end up "stubbing your toe" a whole bunch more.

Sounds minor- but trust me it isnt at all

Dummy here - what's the cause? FieldTurf? Same thing as snub toe? :dunno

Its basically a jammed big toe from my understanding

I've also heard it can happen if your big toe gets stepped on and it gets severely bruised or even a hairline fracture. 300lb lineman say hello to my big toe.....with a cleat.

Dummy here - what's the cause? FieldTurf? Same thing as snub toe? :dunno

Its basically a jammed big toe from my understanding

I've also heard it can happen if your big toe gets stepped on and it gets severely bruised or even a hairline fracture. 300lb lineman say hello to my big toe.....with a cleat.

I looked up turf toe cause. Yep, FieldTurf is guilty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatarsophalangeal_joint_sprain

Anyone care to give a lil info on armstrong? I been away from football lately (personal reasons) until this season. I keep hearing good things but idk much about him?

Saw a little action in the southern miss game. Didn't pass but apparently he doesn't throw like a girl so he's got that going for him. He is pretty quick and looked like he knows what he is doing running the option.

Anyone care to give a lil info on armstrong? I been away from football lately (personal reasons) until this season. I keep hearing good things but idk much about him?

Played a little against Southern Miss. Ran the option with authority. Not afraid to lower shoulder. Didn't throw, but rumor is he has a cannon for an arm. Staff has said he is a natural leader and the "it" factor.

He passes the eyeball test. Appears to have the swagger needed at the position. Will be interesting to see of he oes Sat. Knee was a little slow to rehab. Glad he got action last week to test it out.

Welcome o the board.