Martinez held out of practice with turf toe

Ric Flair

Well, that sucks to be honest, but I agree that he needs to sit out this game as that's a nasty injury you just can't push. We shouldn't need him against SDSU if we play ball like we know how to and have the ability to. I agree that Armstrong is the future of the team, but obviously RGIII should know the playbook A LOT better. Hard decision, maybe play both of them like was mentioned and go from there.

Anyone care to give a lil info on armstrong? I been away from football lately (personal reasons) until this season. I keep hearing good things but idk much about him?

Played a little against Southern Miss. Ran the option with authority. Not afraid to lower shoulder. Didn't throw, but rumor is he has a cannon for an arm. Staff has said he is a natural leader and the "it" factor.

He passes the eyeball test. Appears to have the swagger needed at the position. Will be interesting to see of he oes Sat. Knee was a little slow to rehab. Glad he got action last week to test it out.

Welcome o the board.

this is what Martinez doesn't have and is exactly what the team needs.

Well, that sucks to be honest, but I agree that he needs to sit out this game as that's a nasty injury you just can't push. We shouldn't need him against SDSU if we play ball like we know how to and have the ability to. I agree that Armstrong is the future of the team, but obviously RGIII should know the playbook A LOT better. Hard decision, maybe play both of them like was mentioned and go from there.

RGIII plays for NU now?!? Wow, I bet Ron Kellogg doesn't appreciate Bo bringing him in.........

Just teasin BRI

Anyone care to give a lil info on armstrong? I been away from football lately (personal reasons) until this season. I keep hearing good things but idk much about him?

Before Nebraska (Cibolo Steele HS)

Armstrong Jr. was the only scholarship quarterback in Nebraska’s 2012 freshman class and was considered one of the nation’s top dual-threat quarterbacks. The 6-1, 215-pound Armstrong led Cibolo Steele High School to the Class 5A state championship game each of his final two seasons. Armstrong led Steele to 15 straight victories in 2011, before a loss in the state championship game. Armstrong produced huge numbers both as a runner and a passer as a senior. He finished with 1,281 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns, while passing for 1,945 yards and 29 touchdowns against just two interceptions, completing nearly 59 percent of his passes. Armstrong showed his all-around ability during Steele’s run to the state title game. In the quarterfinals, he threw for 279 yards and three touchdowns, while also rushing for a touchdown. A week later in a semifinal victory, Armstrong had 139 rushing yards and four touchdowns, while passing for another score. In 2011, Armstrong was named to the San Antonio Express News All-Area team as an all-purpose player and he was the District 25-5A Offensive MVP. Armstrong also earned first-team all-district honors as a junior, when he led Cibolo Steele to a 14-2 record and a Class 5A Division II state championship. In 2010, Armstrong ran for more than 500 yards and eight touchdowns, while completing better than 51 percent of his passes for 1,343 yards and 19 touchdowns, with just two interceptions. Armstrong was regarded as the No. 5 quarterback in the country and 18th-best overall prospect in the state of Texas by Scout.com, while Rivals.com ranked him among the top 50 players in Texas and one of the nation’s top 10 dual-threat signal callers. Armstrong played in the Offense-Defense Bowl in Arlington, Texas, following his senior season. Armstrong is one of two Texans in the Huskers’ 2012 class and gives NU at least one Lone Star State representative in its signing class for the 12th straight year. He only visited Nebraska, but had offers from coast to coast, including Georgia Tech, Oregon, Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi State, Southern Miss, TCU and UCLA.

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 220

Redshirt freshman, not wasting that year was the smartest thing Bo has done that I can remember.

I'm going to add here that those clamoring to see Tommy (such as myself), probably follows recruiting and had an idea this is most likely our solution and future at QB. RKIII makes for a great backup ala Matt Turman, but he's a senior and we are wisest to get Tommy experience now and a better handle on whether he is our future QB or not. My hunch is this guy is the real deal.

Turf toe is a sprain to the ligaments around the big toe joint, which works primarily as a hinge to permit up and down motion. Just behind the big toe joint in the ball of your foot are two pea-shaped bones embedded in the tendon that moves your big toe. Called sesamoids, these bones work like a pulley for the tendon and provide leverage when you walk or run. They also absorb the weight that presses on the ball of the foot.

When you are walking or running, you start each subsequent step by raising your heel and letting your body weight come forward onto the ball of your foot. At a certain point you propel yourself forward by "pushing off" of your big toe and allowing your weight to shift to the other foot. If the toe for some reason stays flat on the ground and doesn't lift to push off, you run the risk of suddenly injuring the area around the joint. Or if you are tackled or fall forward and the toe stays flat, the effect is the same as if you were sitting and bending your big toe back by hand beyond its normal limit, causing hyperextension of the toe. That hyperextension, repeated over time or with enough sudden force, can -- cause a sprain in the ligaments that surround the joint.

Typically with turf toe, the injury is sudden. It is most commonly seen in athletes playing on artificial surfaces, which are harder than grass surfaces and to which cleats are more likely to stick. It can also happen on a grass surface, especially if the shoe being worn doesn't provide adequate support for the foot. Often the injury occurs in athletes wearing flexible soccer-style shoes that let the foot bend too far forward.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/turf-toe-symptoms-causes-and-treatments

This vid has been posted a bunch of times, but yes, Tommy has an absolute cannon. He also throws on the run very well, and is a better scrambler than TMagic. He won't crease you and go 60, but he'll shake n bake ya for 12 and a first down.

I saw Tommy do many things TM can't and he was obviously a man among boys in high school. Offers from Oregon, UCLA, TCU, GA Tech, hmmm...

I have to laugh though, because when I or others have said that we can't wait to see him play, they believe its only because he ran the option a few times well against Southern Miss. But RK III is such a good thrower, they say.

LMAO

PS Thought it funny Texas didn't offer but if I recall correctly they came calling very late and he had no interest. Hilarious when you consider Texas has yet another underachieving 5-star pro-style QB, another 3-star McCoy brother QB (who's no Colt), and basically not one QB I'm aware of that we'd want on our roster.

PS Thought it funny Texas didn't offer but if I recall correctly they came calling very late and he had no interest. Hilarious when you consider Texas has yet another underachieving 5-star pro-style QB, another 3-star McCoy brother QB (who's no Colt), and basically not one QB I'm aware of that we'd want on our roster.

UT also didn't offer Jameis Winston.

Just read an article that Bo said he is very, very comfortable with either guy.

Turf toe can be a nasty, lingering issue, as others have said. The only reason we should sit him is if his injury limits our offense in a negative way. We haven't been using him the run game as much as in past years, and if a hurt Martinez is still our best option in the coaches minds, then I support that.

IIRC we have a bye week after this week, too. I say start RKIII or Armstrong, and then that gives Martinez three weeks to prepare for B1G play.

I will confess I have been counting the days to see Tommy take over at QB for us. For any star-watchers that may be concerned with his mere high 3-star rating on Rivals, he was a 4-star on Scout and also their #5 rated QB in the country in 2011. This smells like deja vu Grant--> Frazier or even Mauer---> Gill if anyone can remember that far back. Time to get this kid on the field and give him a chance!

Here's a July Article on this topic (http://nebraska.scou.../2/1311848.html):

Tommy Armstrong (redshirt-freshman) is probably the No. 2 right now, Ron Kellogg(senior) is on the table with what he brings to the table - maybe a combination of the two if we were to play tomorrow,” said Pelini. It's going to be important for us to get those guys on the field early on.
Edited by zoogies
Please limit excerpts to one or two paragraphs