Martinez held out of practice with turf toe

Ric Flair

If Armstrong can't start against South Dakota this year we're in big trouble for next. Get the kid out there for some quality reps. All we have in a wheels-less TM is a game-manager anyway, Hell RK should be able to game-manage against a South Dakota. Turf-toe tends to nag but I would think it can only help if TM isn't running around on it for a couple weeks.

• Fire 1

Ugh, blow out loss last weekend, T-Mart is out (for now), Tommie and Bo are bumping heads, Bo is cursing up a storm (2 years ago) and ESPN is salivating. I am not looking forward to this game. I hope the boys can stay focus. On a positive note, I can't wait to see how RKIII and Tommy Armstrong perform! Why is it though that Nebraska's MVP's always end up injured their senior year? (such as burkhead, crick, and now martinez)

Ugh, blow out loss last weekend, T-Mart is out (for now), Tommie and Bo are bumping heads, Bo is cursing up a storm (2 years ago) and ESPN is salivating. I am not looking forward to this game. I hope the boys can stay focus. On a positive note, I can't wait to see how RKIII and Tommy Armstrong perform! Why is it though that Nebraska's MVP's always end up injured their senior year? (such as burkhead, crick, and now martinez)

Hold the phone. I am not going to get excited about the prospects of seeing another QB until it's announced that will happen. As far as upside, I can't imaging R K III outdoing Tommy in the wow factor. If RK III comes in and plays exclusively while game managing us to an ugly victory, I won't be too excited about that. I'll take it of course, but blah it just sets the stage for more mediocrity. I tend to be an eternal optimist about NU football, but right now my optimism rides squarely on the shoulder of BP's decision and hopefully Tommy A's shoulders (and feet and arm for that matter).

I hope BP chooses well, his job may actually be on the line here.

3 years ago we played South Dakota State and we won 17-3. with the way things are blowing up in the news we need to take South Dakota State with a little more focus.

Hold the phone. I am not going to get excited about the prospects of seeing another QB until it's announced that will happen. As far as upside, I can't imaging R K III outdoing Tommy in the wow factor. If RK III comes in and plays exclusively while game managing us to an ugly victory, I won't be too excited about that. I'll take it of course, but blah it just sets the stage for more mediocrity. I tend to be an eternal optimist about NU football, but right now my optimism rides squarely on the shoulder of BP's decision and hopefully Tommy A's shoulders (and feet and arm for that matter).

The way I understood on Big Red Wrap Up tonight, T-Mart will be sitting out this game. I could have misunderstood though.

I just found this Tim Beck quote from today (post practice) posted over at another board:

"If Taylor can go he will go. I trust Taylor to tell me if he can go."

Typical of these coaches! Duh the guy is hurt, you have a bye week coming up and the (hopefully) weakest opponent on your schedule. Your mobile gimpy legged QB just played 2.5 horrific quarters while your team was blown out in the process. However, you will let that player tell you if he is well enough to play next game that is 3 days away when he's not even able to practice?

Wow, just wow.

The way I understood on Big Red Wrap Up tonight, T-Mart will be sitting out this game. I could have misunderstood though.

The decision has not been made yet, so I honestly think you misunderstood.

I'll take TM at 85% over a redshirt freshman or a guy who never seen meaningful snaps in game.

Best case scenario: Taylor starts, we come guns blazing, up huge early 3rd qtr, no real hits on TM cuz we should own them upfront, running game is full effect....backups in early 3rd qtr

Worst case: TM starts, gets hurt worse. Prepare for future anyway.

I think best case is best.

I'll take TM at 85% over a redshirt freshman or a guy who never seen meaningful snaps in game.

Best case scenario: Taylor starts, we come guns blazing, up huge early 3rd qtr, no real hits on TM cuz we should own them upfront, running game is full effect....backups in early 3rd qtr

Worst case: TM starts, gets hurt worse. Prepare for future anyway.

I think best case is best.

With Bo's job on the line the foolishness of Bo making Martinez play hurt are over. You forget Martinez was once a freshman with no meaningful snaps. What do you do next year when Martinez isn't here anymore and all your qb's have seen snippets of action? There is a reason why our backups leave because no matter what Bo plays Martinez no matter what.

I think it would be very cool. RKIII hasn't seen a ton of game time but every time he get's in the game he looks better than the last. No matter who starts I will support them and cheer them on. I hope others follow instead of questioning the coaches who see the players everyday in practice and make a big deal out of nothing.

I know he's on schollie this year, but when's the last time a walk-on QB started for NU? Tommy's the future, but RKIII starting would be a neat storyline and I'm in favor of seeing it happen. But, then let those two duke it out and see who performs best. We need these two game ready if TMs injury lingers.

Turman as far as I can remember.

Is there a possibility that Taylor was keeping his turf toe injury from the coaches!? I am not necessarily sure that this injury can be disguised...it would ride more on the severity of the injury IMO. You could definitely tell in the first few games he had chances to take it to the house off the zone-read, but didn't. The young man wants to win at NEB, we all know he does. He works his ass off. However, is a 75% Taylor with only one good leg, which compromises his greatest attribute, a real positive for the offense? I say get TA some snaps and see how he plays in this next game. If TA plays very well, let a QB battle ensue, whatever works.