Government Shutdown

Many Tea Partiers actually think that the problem is that they aren't conservative enough. See quotes from a couple days ago from the Heritage Found. and Tea Party. How's that for delusion

It's how they cope with every defeat.

If only we hadn't compromised our principals/been sold out by RINOs/ran a true conservative/etc. we would have won!

It's nice. You never have to be wrong if you embrace that thinking. Introspection is pointless. Compromise is for losers.

NYTimes: Losing a lot to get a little

Speaker John A. Boehner’s strategy always involved a gamble that his members would come away from this clash chastened. He intentionally allowed his most conservative members to sit in the driver’s seat as they tried in vain to get the Senate to accept one failed measure after another — first to defund the health care law, then to delay it, then to chip away at it. His hope was that they would realize the fight was not worth having again.

The worry among many Republicans is that the Tea Party flank will not get the message, mainly because their gerrymandered districts are so conservative they do not have to listen.

I thought this was interesting

I'd like to know the end game of this failed tactic (by the tea party guys and by Boehner - I think 2 diff end games were in play). Obviously it wasn't going to work unless you were able to gather all of the repub senators in a solid block and then get public opinion squarely behind the repubs. The public as a whole I think is still in a wait and see mode regarding the ACA - so there was no way Cruz, House repubs, were going to get a very large public out cry of support. I wonder if Banner was just giving them, the tea party leaders, enough rope to hang themselves and thus free himself later to rule the house without challenge.

Yeah, I think it seems like an attempt by the Republican leadership to let the fringe movement fail on its own and hope they die down for good. As for the fringe movement I think they genuinely believed they were going to get a very large public outcry for support...at least locally, I think they are.

• 2 weeks later...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/house-republicans-disapprove-of-their-own-votes-to-lift-debt-ceiling

Seventy-nine House Republicans -- and three Democrats -- voted Wednesday to disapprove of their own recent votes to raise the debt limit.

The symbolic "resolution to disapprove" of the borrowing limit increase passed the House on a 222-191 vote. All Democrats voted against it. It was required by a provision inserted by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), seemingly aimed at giving lawmakers cover to say they opposed raising the debt limit.

So they voted to disapprove of their own vote? That's some real backbone there.... f-ing idiots.

• 2 weeks later...

And yet we all still forget these people can't even pass a Farm Bill. We should just keep it shutdown until they can pass actual Legislation without bickering. I'll take my shutdown lumps if they'd just start acting like adults.

The farm bill will pass. It just won't have any Farm related things in it.

The Farm Bill at this point is the Trojan horse for all food stamp funding. Nearly 75% of it goes to the SNAP program.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/11/11/popovich_veterans_day_food_stamps.html

"In a lot of ways, it's a joyous day if we all remember to honor people," Popovich began. "But in some ways, it's a sad day because (soldiers and veterans) don't really get honored the way they should be. Some of it is just pablum. When it comes down to the nuts and bolts of what they need, they're really not getting everything.

"Just like the way it is right now – how many vets might have to do without food stamps because of what's going on with the government right now? That program is huge to a lot of these families. I mean huge. It gets them through. And it may or may not be there – who knows? – because government is not very functional at this point, as we all know. So it's a day to reflect, to honor but also to not lose sight of the fact that a whole lot more has to be done with what they've done for all of us."

Shouldn't there be a qualification to this moron/unintelligent conversation? Biden & Palin aren't morons unless you compare them to other people in Washington. Among the general populace they're intelligent enough. They pale in comparison to their surroundings.

I don't know knapplc . . .

Sarah Palin:

"The plan is to allow those things that had been proposed over many years to reform a health-care system in America that certainly does need more help so that there's more competition, there's less tort reform threat, there's less trajectory of the cost increases, and those plans have been proposed over and over again. And what thwarts those plans? It's the far left. It's President Obama and his supporters who will not allow the Republicans to usher in free market, patient-centered, doctor-patient relationship links to reform health care. "

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/11/sarah-palin-obamacare-alternative-health-care.html

I posted this in another thread but it seems appropriate here too: "Government isn't working efficiently or correctly ---> how do we fix the problem" I was recently in DC and was driving across a bridge on the way to the Capitol. I noticed that the traffic coming away from the Capitol was unexpectedly heavy. I was able to roll my window down and ask one of the drivers coming from the Capitol what was going on? he replied that terrorists were holding All members of Congress hostage and if they weren't paid $250,000,000. they would douse the Senators and Representatives with gas and set them on fire. The man then said that lots of people were making donations. I reached for my wallet and asked how much was everybody donating? The man replied, 2 gallons. T_O_B