Government Shutdown

I don't want a shut down and I think both sides for not coming to an agreement of some kind to prevent it are pathetic.

How are both sides to blame?

Edit: I know that there is a sort of reflexive "a pox on both houses" tendency . . . but I can't see how anyone can follow this narrative and end up blaming both sides. I'm genuinely interested in how you think the GOP and the DNC share the blame in this story.

Excellent point. The ACA/Obamacare has already had its hearing. We've had elections, more elections, Supreme Court hearings--not to mention the passage of the bill itself--and the GOP has failed. They continue to fail. No matter what they shut down, the ACA goes into effect. Period. This is not even posturing or strategic politicking. This is pure spite. And no, there is no "both sides are to blame" argument this time around. Obama can't cave to political terrorism. It would only set a precedent to have the same fight over again in a month, a year, whenever.

I'm no advocate of a one party system, but right now the Republican party is so infected by their fringe base that they can't even govern. They are a danger to this country every minute they continue to hold the House and need to be relieved of duty.

• Fire 5

I'm no advocate of a one party system, but right now the Republican party is so infected by their fringe base that they can't even govern. They are a danger to this country every minute they continue to hold the House and need to be relieved of duty.

Yep. Their Tea Party fever needs to break . . . and soon. Hopefully the GOP can then re-join reality. Our country needs it.

If the GOP had any sort of preservation instinct this is going to go down simply as an exercise in brinksmanship.

If they're serious about this, I don't see how they recover.

A lot of them have signed this loony 'Never raise taxes ever' pledge - wonder how they'd feel about growing parts of the population signing an (equally loony, but in the near term not unjustified) 'never vote GOP' pledge.

I can't wait until tomorrow. Less traffic on the roads, all the parking I could ever want, no whiney obese do-nothings complaining about having to do nothing all day. God its going to be great. Whomever in Congress is to blame...thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I wish everyday was "government shutdown" day, maybe they can make this last for at least a week or two, the furloughs days were great but I could really use some more time off from them.

I'm failing to see any downside to our government shutting down. Let's give that a go for about four years. It certainly can't be any worse than what we've become accustomed to. Probably suck for the people that depend on, need, or want our government. Glad I'm not one of them.

• Fire 1

I'm glad to see that all the liars, I mean politicians are still getting paid through all of this...

It's fine though, federal workers aren't real people that need their paychecks.

Banfield is a Canadian and shouldn't be allowed in the discussion.

Both sides are at fault...

They could come to an agreement about this, but it appears that they won't. If the gov't shuts down, it doesn't affect them, so why should they care...

Really think the demands are reasonable here? This is a battle that's been fought so...many...times and lost, but because a small number of people can't admit defeat, they're going to drag the ship down with them.

Imagine a world where every discontented fringe group does this to any law ever.

I'm failing to see any downside to our government shutting down. Let's give that a go for about four years. It certainly can't be any worse than what we've become accustomed to. Probably suck for the people that depend on, need, or want our government. Glad I'm not one of them.

lol. Actually, what does the shutdown really mean? What are we losing?

But don't kid yourself - we all depend on the government even if we think we don't. And even if you, personally, are good to go without it, the millions of people whose fortunes affect each other do.

• Fire 2

Really think the demands are reasonable here? This is a battle that's been fought so...many...times and lost.

I agree, its really getting old and its very predictable. The Right will continue to try to delay affordable care until they can get a sufficient voting block to kill it. They aren't trying to postpone it a year to get the financial house in order, that's a load of crap. They want to delay it just long enough so that the next time this fight rolls around they can say "we're going to delay and fight it again until the election because the American people deserve a say" and of course the GOP will gain seats in '14 because its a midterm.

Ah, fun times in DC.

Really think the demands are reasonable here? This is a battle that's been fought so...many...times and lost.

I agree, its really getting old and its very predictable. The Right will continue to try to delay affordable care until they can get a sufficient voting block to kill it. They aren't trying to postpone it a year to get the financial house in order, that's a load of crap. They want to delay it just long enough so that the next time this fight rolls around they can say "we're going to delay and fight it again until the election because the American people deserve a say" and of course the GOP will gain seats in '14 because its a midterm.

Ah, fun times in DC.

Two issues,

1 - The people had a say, and re-elected Obama. The right needs to accept the fact and get the F over it.

2 - History says the next election will not be favorable, it wasn't for the right 17 years ago.