**** What Did We Learn ****

walksalone

Charles Jackson needs to be starting like ASAP. I don't care if he doesn't know jack sh#t about the defense, at least he makes plays

John Papuchis needs to be shown the door. A new defensive coordinator should be hired, one who has proven that he can stop mobile quarterbacks. My #1 choice right now would be Michigan State's DC Pat Narduzzi. This new DC should have final say in the hiring of his position coaches, how the defense will be ran & who plays

I'm sick of the 'seeming' favoritism Pelini seems to give certain players. I don't know for a fact that Pelini shows favoritism but to me is sure seems that there are certain players he refuses to bench, even when they're playing poorly & their backups, when given the chance, seem to display superior play on the field.

The defensive line needs to be turned loose. I'm sick of this lining up a yard behind the line of scrimmage, holding up blockers & playing contain. Yes, against a mobile quarterback, its possible if the line breaks through, the QB could manage to evade & turn it into a big gain. However, its better than sitting back & giving dudes line Hundley all day to throw. It will also lead to more broken plays, more sacks, could lead to the quarterback getting rattled & turning momentum to the defense's favor. It will also lead to getting superior recruits for our defensive line, because no elite defensive lineman wants to play patty cake with offensive linemen all game long.

EDIT - Need to add more. If Ameer Abdullah continues to display a fumbling problem, Imani Cross needs to be the #1 back.

• Fire 3

Charles Jackson needs to be starting like ASAP. I don't care if he doesn't know jack sh#t about the defense, at least he makes plays

John Papuchis needs to be shown the door. A new defensive coordinator should be hired, one who has proven that he can stop mobile quarterbacks. My #1 choice right now would be Michigan State's DC Pat Narduzzi. This new DC should have final say in the hiring of his position coaches, how the defense will be ran & who plays

I'm sick of the 'seeming' favoritism Pelini seems to give certain players. I don't know for a fact that Pelini shows favoritism but to me is sure seems that there are certain players he refuses to bench, even when they're playing poorly & their backups, when given the chance, seem to display superior play on the field.

The defensive line needs to be turned loose. I'm sick of this lining up a yard behind the line of scrimmage, holding up blockers & playing contain. Yes, against a mobile quarterback, its possible if the line breaks through, the QB could manage to evade & turn it into a big gain. However, its better than sitting back & giving dudes line Hundley all day to throw. It will also lead to more broken plays, more sacks, could lead to the quarterback getting rattled & turning momentum to the defense's favor. It will also lead to getting superior recruits for our defensive line, because no elite defensive lineman wants to play patty cake with offensive linemen all game long.

EDIT - Need to add more. If Ameer Abdullah continues to display a fumbling problem, Imani Cross needs to be the #1 back.

This is the post I would have written out if I were more interested in writing things out today.

Well said.

Good things happen when we put pressure on the QB. 5 sacks for 44 yds loss. 2 Interceptions for 44 yds and a TD.

Then again, a better team would be more likely to burn us for walking a DB up to the line.

I'm not saying we should be blitzing LBs/DBs every play...I'm saying we should let the defensive line turn loose. If a DLineman is able to get past the OLine and attack the QB, why should we tell him to play pattycake instead? We have solid DEs capable of providing a pass rush, let them loose.

So last week it was a fairly positive early showing for the D but the offense completely checked out of the game and let the score spiral downhill.

This week the offense didn't do that, so it's fair to say: what the hell, defense??!????!

Again we see some good things (Randy Gregory, what's up!?!?! and look at that effort from Curry at the end) but we also see a lot of stuff that never should have happened against a team of this caliber. Even against Wyoming - we can all agree they're quite a tough, gutsy, well-designed offense but not 600 yards against Nebraska good. I can't help but feel there are still personnel changes on defense that need happening that aren't. Starting with, but not limited to up front.

Offense, nothing more needs to be said. They did EVERYTHING that they could have possibly done against an FCS team. Bravo, bravo, bravo. It was a thing of beauty.

Bo has to abandon his scheme. He claims it works despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. He needs to accept that Suh is gone and playing -2 in the run game will get you killed. Even against a FCS team.

If our defense was competent, not good, just competent, they'd have a chance to run the table. Also, Armstrong has a much higher upside than Tmart.

The defense has it's problems but it has a lot of bright spots too. They still need to grow but, everybody knew there would be growing pains.

Too many people leave whether we win or lose. I realize season ticket holders pay a lot and have the right to leave but, come on. If traffic and the amount of people is that big of deal to you then you should probably rethink why you even bother going to the game.

Great read on the other Husker board. Guy named "short side option" does a great job breaking down our defensive woes. It is purely scheme. Once he breaks down the game film it is sad to see how easy it is to beat/gash our D. Even more disturbing our 3mill coach and staff can't see it.............or won't see it.

Yes, but isn't that board run from a mental institution? :lol:

Great read on the other Husker board. Guy named "short side option" does a great job breaking down our defensive woes. It is purely scheme. Once he breaks down the game film it is sad to see how easy it is to beat/gash our D. Even more disturbing our 3mill coach and staff can't see it.............or won't see it.

Really? Maybe he should go and be a coach--if he knows how terrible our scheme is. Please.

Not to put down short side option, but anybody can put up pictures of stills and write some words under them. I don't buy that it conclusively determines what's wrong with the defense and what not. The other day I was reading one of these picture breakdowns of New England's passing offense, pinning a play on Brady that I specifically remember watching where his guy (Dobson) didn't get his head turned around until well after he made his break.

Even if that guy is pretty good at breaking down film, it only makes him better than you or me.

Not to say I'm not extremely concerned about the defense either. I'd be curious to see a discussion about the scheme and its weaknesses over here. I still feel it's primarily we're not getting near enough out of some positions on the field as we need to.