OK sure, I'll be the first....

NUpolo8

Martinez, without question.* He's far from a natural or pretty thrower but what exactly are we complaining about? His 66% completion rate? Or his 9/1 TD/INT ratio? He's got the experience, he's the senior captain, for crying outloud.

I'm glad that Armstrong looked so good, but good lord, put it in perspective. That was a BAD FCS defense. I read that they ranked 100something in the FCS in pass defense. That's FCS schools only. It'd have been appalling if we didn't shred them. Armstrong made some pretty throws and is clearly a natural running the option, but he's our quarterback for next year, end of story.

*Assuming TMart is legitimately at 100% or at least close it enough it makes no matter.

Experience is a factor but when your Senior QB cannot keep a bad defense off the field and maintain drives because his inability to throw the ball for first downs or scan the field for open receivers it makes a difference. All this talk about what defense we did it against is non sense. Yes, they are an FCS school that is not very good on defense but they are a top ten FCS school. TA did exactly what he was supposed to do. You throw out statistics, those are great. but what about the stufff that doesnt show up in the stat column. Moxie, leadership, g amesmanship, and footwork. (i.e. The pitch that TA made near the goal line. WOW! I havent seen that since eric crouch when I was a ball boy for the k state games!) I have never....NEVER seen T mart with a sense of urgency. Yes his stats look great at the end of the year. He pads them against FCS schools. If you look at them against quality opponents they are HORRIBLE!!! 59% comp % versus BCS Winning teams.

http://www.cfbstats....ense/split.html

Are we really hammering Armstrong's throwing in comparison to RKIII? TA went 12-15 and two of those were dropped touchdown passes. And yes, he may not have thrown darts like RKIII, but TA's pass to Burtch in the end zone needed to be lofted anyways in order to give the receiver time to get under it and make a play.

RKIII is probably the better passer, but TA brings more to the table athletically.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point. I selfishly would like to see TA because he's the shiny new toy everybody is excited about, but both guys proved they can move the offense and score, even if it was against weak competition. That's better than the alternative of being inable to move the ball against weak competition.

Yeah, we're just HAMMMERING THE PISS OUT OF IT with our observations of him throwing off his back foot a few times showing he's human and needs to work on something. :sarcasm

If your only reason for posting is my verbage, wouldn't you be better served putting your head back in the sand where it so often is?

Sure, TA has some things to work on, but he threw just as well as RKIII statistically speaking (including two dropped TD passes) and brings more to the table athletically. Whatever mechanical differences exist between the two are moot.

I think what devnet is getting at is the fact that better defenses are going to be able to react better to those lofted passes than South Dakota State. That being said, TA is still the better option than RKIII at this point.

Although, I'm pretty confident that all 3 of our QBs can efficiently run our offense--which is a nice thing to be able to say.

Are we really hammering Armstrong's throwing in comparison to RKIII? TA went 12-15 and two of those were dropped touchdown passes. And yes, he may not have thrown darts like RKIII, but TA's pass to Burtch in the end zone needed to be lofted anyways in order to give the receiver time to get under it and make a play.

RKIII is probably the better passer, but TA brings more to the table athletically.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point. I selfishly would like to see TA because he's the shiny new toy everybody is excited about, but both guys proved they can move the offense and score, even if it was against weak competition. That's better than the alternative of being inable to move the ball against weak competition.

Yeah, we're just HAMMMERING THE PISS OUT OF IT with our observations of him throwing off his back foot a few times showing he's human and needs to work on something. :sarcasm

If your only reason for posting is my verbage, wouldn't you be better served putting your head back in the sand where it so often is?

Sure, TA has some things to work on, but he threw just as well as RKIII statistically speaking (including two dropped TD passes) and brings more to the table athletically. Whatever mechanical differences exist between the two are moot.

Poor mechanics is why Talyor is not a very good passer and are a valid criticism. However, I don't see why it's being argued when RK3 is a senior who won't be with the program next year.

I think what devnet is getting at is the fact that better defenses are going to be able to react better to those lofted passes than South Dakota State. That being said, TA is still the better option than RKIII at this point.

Although, I'm pretty confident that all 3 of our QBs can efficiently run our offense--which is a nice thing to be able to say.

I don't know! I was in line at the DMV, and having a flashbacks about the DZ, I am not sure we really should try to compare TA to RKIII unless you have PMS and talking to your BFF who turned out to be a BMF about SJB and not a BLT. All these acronyms make me wonder WTF as I LOL trying to understand my neighbor who happens to be a MILF FWIW. :D

I don't know! I was in line at the DMV, and having a flashbacks about the DZ, I am not sure we really should try to compare TA to RKIII unless you have PMS and talking to your BFF who turned out to be a BMF about SJB and not a BLT. All these acronyms make me wonder WTF as I LOL trying to understand my neighbor who happens to be a MILF FWIW. :D

Makes perfect sense IMO

You just can't understate how important cool confidence is in a freshman quarterback, and how it can lift up a team. And though it was all of three years ago, let's recall a few of freshman Taylor Martinez's numbers against quality opponents:

On the road against Washington in one of the loudest and toughest opposing stadiums in college football:

19 carries for 137 yards

7 - 11 - 0 for 150 yards

4 total TDS

Against in-conference rival Kansas State

15 carries for 241 yards

5 - 7 - 0 128 yards

5 total TDs

Against ranked in-conference rival Oklahoma State

19 carries for 112 yards

25 - 35 - 0 for 323 yards

5 passing TDs

Against #7 Missouri

6 - 9 - 0 for 115 yards and a TD in the first half before getting hurt.

And then Taylor Martinez was never quite the same.

I think getting sent back into the starting lineup that year, clearly hobbled, against defenses that were now gunning for him took away some of the balls-out fearlessness that made Martinez so promising. I think being told to go down quickly in the open field to avoid injury the past two seasons took away something, too. And a defense that puts you so far in the hole that every offensive series comes with an air of desperation doesn't help, either.

I'm rooting like crazy for Tommy Armstrong to be the man, but see no point pooping on Taylor Martinez. I'd love to see him go out in style.

• Fire 2

IUEWTFHS!

If T-Mart is 100%, he plays, if he's not, Armstrong...

Lights it up. There I finished your sentence for you.

Armstrong looked very solid against an FCS team. Granted one of the best FCS teams in the nation. I can't start richard riding Armstrong yet until he does that against legit B1G competition...

Sorry Suh fan, but I cannot understand how anybody would think Ron Kellogg should start over Taylor Martinez or Tommy Armstrong in a spread OPTION offense. He runs slower than molasses in January.

TA threw off his back foot and broadcasted his throws. RKIII did not. TA had too much loft in his throws as well...RKIII did not.

You realize QB's can purposely put air under the ball? I think undoubtedly Tommy has a much stronger arm than RK. What throws are you referring to that had too much loft on the ball? You mean the dime he threw with a flick of his wrist that laid in Kenny's bread basket that he dropped? Or the exact same throw he threw into a steady wind that was maybe 18 inches short. There can be loft on a ball if thrown ahead of the receiver, which he did, it inhibits the DB's ability to get to the ball, something RK doesn't have the ability to do because he doesn't have the arm strength.

Just don't compare an out route thrown to the side of the field thrown landing perfectly in the arms of Quincy, to RK running up the pocket, crow hopping and throwing it as hard as he can to a receiver 12 yards away. The prior requires much more arm strength even if it doesn't look as impressive.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure who has the stronger arm. Kellog's mechanics are a little better but he's also four years older. From what I've seen, TA has a VERY strong arm.

I also thought TA might have put a little too much air on a couple throws - particularly the Enunwa catch down the sideline. All were on target and timely so it really didn't matter. The thing I found humorous is how much people like to bag on Martinez for throwing lobs downfield and now they're bragging up TA when he threw on basically the same trajectory.