OK sure, I'll be the first....

NUpolo8

He has been injured since the wyoming game. Much worse that they let on. Give the kid a break

He's not a kid.

Sorry, but that just drives me nuts. Petty, yes. But nuts nonetheless. They are grown-ass men.

semantics.

at my age - everyone under 35 is a kid.

your life experience may vary.

• Fire 1

Before we go too far into revisionist history, let's allow ourselves to remember Taylor Martinez for his amazing freshman debut up to his injury against Missouri, when he did everything we now say we want out of a quarterback.

Also for the biggest comeback in Husker history against Ohio State, driven almost entirely by high-pressure decisions and playmaking by Martinez. Ditto the comeback against Northwestern, when Taylor put the team on his back in the fourth quarter and may have saved Pelini's job.

While we're at it, might as well remember the first half against UCLA a couple weeks ago, when Taylor threw three beautiful touchdown passes and a couple crossing pattern lasers. Martinez can certainly take some of the heat for the second-half paralysis, but coaches who have urged him not to run as much and to go down quickly in the open field, and a defense that gives up 28 points in 15 mintues play a bigger role in that game, and in the unsatisfying Husker performances of late.

I promise I'm not forgetting the turnovers and occasional brain farts. But I also remember Tommie Frazier and Scott Frost's pretty awful throwing mechanics and poor completion percentage, and how they overcame those with leadership intagibles. Not to mention a world class offensive line and shutdown defense that takes a lot of pressure off that decision-making process.

I don't see any reason not to root for both Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong.

But I also don't see any reason to pretend Taylor Martinez has been the problem in this maddening string of 10 win seasons.

• Fire 3

Sorry to change the subject from the word "hate" and its subsequent use or non-use in this thread.

But yes, I notice a lot of negativity going Taylor Martinez's way. Which is unfortunate. First of all, if Bo (and other coaches) thought that TA is a better player than TM, they would do what they did to Zac Lee and Cody Green and start a redshirt freshman over them. Sure, TM was the obvious choice considering how dormant the offense was with Lee and Green.

27/35 340 yards 4 TD's 0 Int.

That's one game. The guys a starter right? Who cares about the competition, get that guy in the game!

OK another guy.

29/37 438 yards 3 TD's 1 Int.

HOLY SMOKES! These guys are efficient!

Who are these guys? Zac Lee and Sam Keller. Zac Lee's game was against Arkansas State. Sam Keller's game was against Brady Hoke's Ball State.

But what about running ability? How about 238 rushing yards against Texas? A top 10 ranked Texas team!

Jammal Lord. We lost the game, we should have won if JLo hadn't thrown into double coverage in the end zone. His senior season, people in the stands were yelling for Joe Dailey to play! I remember chants of "DAILEY!! DAILEY!!" Then when Joe Dailey started, it went awry (granted he was a deer in the headlights due to the extreme change in offensive philosophy).

Listen, I have no doubt in my mind that TA looked amazing out there. His throwing motion looked perfect, his long ball was thrown with such ease and touch. There's even a part of me that is kind of hoping TM's injury lingers just a bit longer to see how TA plays. One game doesn't tell the whole story though. We don't win games against Ohio St (2011), Wisconsin, NW, and Michigan State without TM. TM has proven he can do this. You cannot credit him for any losses, but you can sure credit him for lots of wins. His arm helped us beat OKST when they were the 2nd hottest offense in the Nation.

TM has shown he can do it. If the coaches think that TM is still the guy, then he's still the guy. If they think that TM is still the guy, but TA is a better guy, then they'd go with him. They want to win more than we do, they're actually out there feeling what the players are feeling. Hell, some may even argue that their jobs are on the line. They wouldn't start TM just because he's a senior.

• Fire 5

There are some things RKIII does better than Taylor. There are some things Tommy Armstrong does better than Taylor.

But neither of them have shown it against a remotely quality opponent. And neither of them can do this:

and btw, for all the flack Taylor catches regarding his passing... He's currently 26th in the nation in pass efficiency - 2 spots ahead of Brett Smith.

Flashes of greatness is not greatness. this is why he should be a package and not a starting QB.

• Fire 1

People that use the word "hate" to describe someone disliking portions of someones game, while liking the person and praising other parts of his game- dont know what real hatred is. It's like throwing the race card- means little to nothing, cheap theatrics.

You mean like a poster getting into a pissing contest with someone about how long they've been a fan, how many games, they've attended, and how much they've forgotten about football? Oh wait...

Ignored.

• Fire 2

People that use the word "hate" to describe someone disliking portions of someones game, while liking the person and praising other parts of his game- dont know what real hatred is. It's like throwing the race card- means little to nothing, cheap theatrics.

You mean like a poster getting into a pissing contest with someone about how long they've been a fan, how many games, they've attended, and how much they've forgotten about football? Oh wait...

Ignored.

good thing you've got a few thousand posts, or your arguement would be invalid...

Before we go too far into revisionist history, let's allow ourselves to remember Taylor Martinez for his amazing freshman debut up to his injury against Missouri, when he did everything we now say we want out of a quarterback.

Also for the biggest comeback in Husker history against Ohio State, driven almost entirely by high-pressure decisions and playmaking by Martinez. Ditto the comeback against Northwestern, when Taylor put the team on his back in the fourth quarter and may have saved Pelini's job.

While we're at it, might as well remember the first half against UCLA a couple weeks ago, when Taylor threw three beautiful touchdown passes and a couple crossing pattern lasers. Martinez can certainly take some of the heat for the second-half paralysis, but coaches who have urged him not to run as much and to go down quickly in the open field, and a defense that gives up 28 points in 15 mintues play a bigger role in that game, and in the unsatisfying Husker performances of late.

I promise I'm not forgetting the turnovers and occasional brain farts. But I also remember Tommie Frazier and Scott Frost's pretty awful throwing mechanics and poor completion percentage, and how they overcame those with leadership intagibles. Not to mention a world class offensive line and shutdown defense that takes a lot of pressure off that decision-making process.

I don't see any reason not to root for both Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong.

But I also don't see any reason to pretend Taylor Martinez has been the problem in this maddening string of 10 win seasons.

Ah! The voice of reason! Thanks!

Ignored.

good thing you've got a few thousand posts, or your arguement would be invalid...

That's my favorite.

I think what's been frustrating quite a few people, especially this year, is TM's playstyle. He's thrown the football pretty well, but we all know, the thing that makes TM so dangerous and so much fun to watch are his playmaking abilities with his feet. But, when he sits in the pocket all day, it feels like he's just going through the motions. He doesn't get the same opportunities to show his dynamic abilities when he's throwing the football. He's still no pocket passer, even though he's markedly improved. You take away his feet and you take away the dynamic asset he brings to the table.

Obviously there's some reason for it, be it injury or the emergence of other playmakers. If it was a lingering issue before the turf toe came out, the playcalling is understandable. If it purely choice, I'm not sure I understand what they were doing. We may have several other playmakers, but again, the reason you play Taylor Martinez is because of playmaking ability with his feet. If that's gone, the feeling I get watching him is much less flashy or game manager-esque.