OK sure, I'll be the first....

NUpolo8

Did anyone else notice Armstrong down the field seeking out guys to block on --that one run-- ? I'd specify but I don't have the game in front of me, and I can't even remember the quarter or the play. But it stuck out as unusual that the QB was out there doing that. Old-school baller mentality right there.

Bringing back some awesome memories....everybody, including the quarterbacks, had blocking assignments under Coach Osborne.

So you think even Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Scot Frost or even Joe Ganz wouldnt have been able to have won more games than we have? Really?

I never said Martinez is the sole reason we lost those games, he has been a major contributor. Thanks to his NCAA leading fumble issues not to mention the rest of his flaws.

I LIKE Martinez as a person and love his heart. I just dont think he is the best person to be the starting QB right now

No. This team is WAY too flawed for any of those players to fix. None of the quarterbacks you listed would do a thing to solve the problems we have on defense.

I'd trade all four of those QBs for a couple of Offensive Guards from the 80s & 90s. Those would go much further to fixing our problems than a new QB.

I'd trade all of those QBs and Guards for a couple of DE/LBs from those decades as well. That would go even further toward fixing the problems that plague these teams.

QB, under Martinez, has been good enough to win pretty much every single game the last two years. The reason we lose those games isn't Taylor Martinez.

Changing the terms of the debate

You said "I get it - you don't like Martinez. I agree with you that he has flaws. But no QB we've had in the past 50 years could lead this team to better results "

So you in essence said TM is on par with Gill, Frost and Frazier. Im guessing, no I KNOW ANY of those guys at the helm would have led us to "better results"

Does NU need more than a QB, goodness yes. No one was saying our problems are solved by a change in QB, but the QB is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

But to equate TM to those 3 (Gill, Frazier, Frost) is silly IMO, he isnt in the same solar system as any of them.

He sure as hell BLASTED THROUGH all their records though.......

So that has to tell you something......

Not saying he is better than those 3 by any means, but it is still quite an impressive feat.

So you think even Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Scot Frost or even Joe Ganz wouldnt have been able to have won more games than we have? Really?

I never said Martinez is the sole reason we lost those games, he has been a major contributor. Thanks to his NCAA leading fumble issues not to mention the rest of his flaws.

I LIKE Martinez as a person and love his heart. I just dont think he is the best person to be the starting QB right now

No. This team is WAY too flawed for any of those players to fix. None of the quarterbacks you listed would do a thing to solve the problems we have on defense.

I'd trade all four of those QBs for a couple of Offensive Guards from the 80s & 90s. Those would go much further to fixing our problems than a new QB.

I'd trade all of those QBs and Guards for a couple of DE/LBs from those decades as well. That would go even further toward fixing the problems that plague these teams.

QB, under Martinez, has been good enough to win pretty much every single game the last two years. The reason we lose those games isn't Taylor Martinez.

You said "I get it - you don't like Martinez. I agree with you that he has flaws. But no QB we've had in the past 50 years could lead this team to better results "

So you in essence said TM is on par with Gill, Frost and Frazier. Im guessing, no I KNOW ANY of those guys at the helm would have led us to "better results"

Does NU need more than a QB, goodness yes. No one was saying our problems are solved by a change in QB, but the QB is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

But to equate TM to those 3 (Gill, Frazier, Frost) is silly IMO, he isnt in the same solar system as any of them.

Not saying he is better than those 3 by any means, but it is still quite an impressive feat.

Yes, that he is starting for his fourth year and played more games than any of the other three (actually should have looked it up first, I don't know for certain on number of games played)

That has been debated AM- the records are hollow

What I care about are wins and losses and wins against quality opponents and FUMBLES- where he definitely has set a bar that will never be equalled by any future NU QB

Records for longevity and playing nearly every snap because we rarely win in blowouts AND when WE get blown out, can accumulate stats in garbage time.

Completely agree.

And by the way, to all of those looking at that link to 'quarterbacks and the passes they throw,' consider this. The article itself fully admits to an inconsistent means of data collection. If you look at their break down, they charted all 12 games for Alabama and all their passes, while charting only three games or less (and all those passes) for most of the teams they analyzed. Nebraska is one of those teams they charted three times or less.

All I'm saying is I hope we're not drawing any hard conclusions from this evidence because, although it's interesting to look at it, it has very little statistical merit.

That has been debated AM- the records are hollow

What I care about are wins and losses and wins against quality opponents and FUMBLES- where he definitely has set a bar that will never be equalled by any future NU QB

Records for longevity and playing nearly every snap because we rarely win in blowouts AND when WE get blown out, can accumulate stats in garbage time.

And those aspects of the game don't totally hinge on Martinez...not even remotely at times...

Let TA start and see how he does against "better" competition

If he falls flat after 1 1/2 quarters, let TM do what he can

I know that frightens the heck out of the TM fanatics.

I say if TM isn't legitimately 100%........(by the Illinois game)

Start TA....then if the wheels fall off, throw Taylor in there or RK3 to see what they can do.

I believe a 100% TM needs to start, but if he isn't 100%....I think someone else needs to be given a shot.

What are you talking about? You are clearly having a discussion with someone else. I didn't equate anyone to anyone.

:dunno

TM threw 12 piks and lost 8 of 16 fumbles last season...better so far this season.

8 of those piks were when we were behind by a touchdown or greater and attempting a comeback.

How about the NCAA record number of fumbes- were those all when NU was behind chuckleshuffle

Do we really need to rehash some early and often Ints and fumbles that took us out of games we could have been in?

BTW down by 7 points doesnt mean it's always time to panic and throw passes up for grabs, and some of those picks were right into the arms of a waiting defenders not even close plays

What are you talking about? You are clearly having a discussion with someone else. I didn't equate anyone to anyone.

You did, you said "No QB in the past 50 years could lead this team to better results"

By my recollection Gill, Frost and Frazier all played in the last 50 years. To say that none of them would have had "better results" than TM is ludicrous.

You did, you said "No QB in the past 50 years could lead this team to better results"

By my recollection Gill, Frost and Frazier all played in the last 50 years. To say that none of them would have had "better results" than TM is ludicrous.

You're clearly having a different conversation than I'm having. Good luck with that. :thumbs